Strange trigger dropouts / latency, especially when playing busy patterns

Started by Busa, September 04, 2021, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busa

Hi

I just got the Drumit5 MKII (with ver 1.36.3)
I've set it up with a Roland VH-10, PD-128S, KT-10 and CY-12R.
After a little fiddling I got the triggering to work for each drum / pad. (PadPS - snare, CyPSB - ride, Kick2 - kick)

However, something strange happens when I play busier patterns, especially when stomping the hi-hat on 8ths, a fair amount of ghost notes and a 16th note pattern on the ride.
Sometimes the ride sound will drop out, sometimes a snare hit or two will come a little late .... in effect, what comes out of the headphones sounds like a very un-tight drummer (for a while I thought I had thoroughly lost it as a drummer but if I listen with the headphones off, I can hear that the hits themselves are correct)

Anyone have had the same experience ... and if so, how did you fix it?

Karbonfaiba

Do these symptoms happen when playing with the KIT menu selected on page 1?

Do these symptoms get worse when playing on UNIT - Trig / KIT page 2?

The memory card is the cause of the lag for sure. Email 2box support, give them your S/N number and they should send you a new card in the post for free.

There is a polyphony limit on the 2box which can prematurely end sample playback, but it's quite high. I don't think that's what we are talking about here though.

Busa

Hi

Thank you for the reply :)

I experience thins while on the KIT selection screen.

I found some tips elsewhere in this forum and set all triggers to "norm" (I had set them to "Lin1"). This helped a bit.
I also set X-talk to low/med and this seemed to help a bit too.

However, it is still not good ... to put it this way, I can't use it like it is now on a live gig (which is why I bought it)

I will send a request to 2bex email support like you suggest and see what they say

halftime

Yeah... I experienced the glitching with my original SD card on all samples. After changing the card, the 2box-provided samples play well, but I haven't been able to fully get rid of the problem with VST exports. You didn't mention if you use just built-in samples or custom samples, but in the case of built-in samples only, the SD card is a likely cause.

What made a significant improvement for me (even though it's still not perfect) was setting Mask = 2 to all pads, and for the kick pad, Voice = Mono in the Unit menu. Setting Decay to 10 instead of Infinite in the Kit menu may also help.

Karbonfaiba

That's definitely subpar performance from your module, halftime. I really don't know what else to say.  :(

The extra performance tweaks shouldn't even be necessary imo - but we know they can help - from years of experimentation, from users who have owned a 2box far longer than myself.

Most days I just sit behind my kit, pick a VST I imported, play along to music (wavs of about 30-50 MB each) I would definitely notice any audio anomalies stressing the module like this, but I don't get dropouts. I get more annoyed by mixing levels and white noise hiss on incorrectly boosted low velocity layers by SDSE these days - basically rough areas I could fix if I could be bothered - bringing my library to Mimic Pro quality on 50 kits is a lot of work though.

halftime

I think what I would need is having some expert with me in person to go through my pads, my module settings and my playing style to find out what is different with my kit that is causing these problems while others happily bash away with huge VST kits. I don't see that kind of scenario happening any time soon, though, so in the mean time, I'm only using 2box samples so I don't have to worry about the glitching. They are OK for my purposes, but it's just a bit frustrating to be unable to use the full potential of the module.

OK, enough of my ranting which has been going on in several threads already :D Hopefully Busa's issue will get solved.

Busa

Thanx Halftime

Yeah ... I literally got the module yesterday and so everything I've tried is with factory sounds.
I'm gonna try the "new" card route and see where it leads

ludman

I have the same experience as Busa! I have a  mk1 Drumit 5  with new stock sounds. It only happens when I play 8th or 16th notes on hi hat by foot. Why that? If it was a memory card problem why does it happen only when I play hi hat foot pedal?

Busa

Hi Ludman

Like has been alluded to in this thread, it is probably a card issue.

I contacted 2box directly via email and got a prompt response that they would send me a new card, so kudos to 2box for that.
You need to send them the serial numbers (I sent them for module and the card) and where you bought the module though.

However, the card is awaiting handling in customs, which takes time, so I decided to try things out with buying a 32GB SanDisk Ultra SDHC UHS-I Card.
It wasn't too expensive (around 20EUR in my local electronics shop). I then downloaded the two zip files from the 2box support page, installed the unzipped folders on the card and now the issues are gone! (at least for factory sounds, haven't tried with uploading my own samples yet)

So, again, it indeed seem to be a card issue.

ludman

what are the zip files you're talking about? the card content or anything else?

Busa

Hi Ludman

In short, yes the card content
On the 2box site go to:
"Support" -> "Downloads Drumit Five MKII"
Then under "Card content" download folder 1 & 2

halftime

I had one more thought about the glitching issue. I have lately been using only 2box samples just so that I could play without having to worry about the module's performance. However, I now had a chance to try out some VST samples exported by someone else and there was no stuttering at all. Now, there are two clear differences to my previous experiments: 1) the VST samples are only for snare, bass and toms so the cymbal samples are all 2box, and 2) the tom samples have only one sound, so just head, no rim.

My thought is this: if the toms have no rim sample included, would it mean less processing for the module and hence smaller chance of glitching? Also, would splitting the tom inputs have the same effect? Those of you who use VST kits without issues: are you using the rims of your toms (for rim sounds or something else) or are they split to extend your kit? Does the rim make any difference?

ludman

I have changed the card as Busa told, the same card he uses. Not fixed the issue. The problem is the hi hat played by foot while doing a simple pattern. May I give up??Very disappointed!