News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box drum editor

Started by raptor, March 05, 2012, 04:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raptor

Hello all,
I've noticed that drum sounds I create always have a limited tuning range from -12 to 0 in the 2box editor. The tuning range for the factory sounds are from -12 to +4 or +5. Any reason why the limited range for my custom drum samples?

Manfred

Hi,

did you use DSoundtool to create your sounds? As far as i know this is not able to create sound which can be tuned higher. If you use the 2Box-Editor to create sounds you can set the parameter "Max Tune" to the desired value.

Regards, Manfred

raptor

Ahh! That explains it. I did use dsoundtool to generate my files. OK then. Thank you, Jeff.

Slap the drummer

It's to do with the frequency of the sample.  I don't really understand the technical details
(I bet Manfred does  ;D)  but basically the module is re-sampling to a different frequency and
making use of the resulting pitch shift.

With DSoundTool you're loading up the sample at 44.1khz and there's no more headroom for tuning
the pitch upwards.

I always tune samples up by 2 semitones before I make the .dsnd files - that way I already have the
higher tones.  Also (for what it's worth), once I know for definite how I want a kit piece tuned
I then set the final tuning (in SD or whatever) and redo the file - I prefer the sound this way, rather
than tuning with the module.

Louis

Be aware that being able to tune up your sound a lot is not necessarily a good thing. I tried to explain some technical details in http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,367.msg5122.html#msg5122

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Louis on March 08, 2012, 05:54:39 PM
Be aware that being able to tune up your sound a lot is not necessarily a good thing. I tried to explain some technical details in http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,367.msg5122.html#msg5122

Oh yeah that's where I got it from  8)

So I wonder what's happening when we tune down a DSoundTool file made at 44.1Khz... ?

To my ears it almost sounds like the sample has been slowed down slightly, especially on sounds
like solid floor toms.  Perhaps my imagination..............