News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

where's all the stuff?

Started by spoenk, May 02, 2010, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishmonkey

the BFD samples are WAV format, however they are mostly multi-channel, with different mic positions etc. overlaid in the same file.

Baby Samus

Quote from: fishmonkey on October 02, 2010, 11:49:32 PM
the BFD samples are WAV format, however they are mostly multi-channel, with different mic positions etc. overlaid in the same file.

My brother said he had loads of BFD and BFD 2 samples on his PC and I was thinking about creating some 2Box samples from them - fish if what you say is correct does that mean we cannot use the samples directly, but instead we must use the BFD software to play the layers in turn with whatever effects you require, then record the output and rename the wave file as a .dsnd file?  Would I still need the editor (2Box one or Louis' one)?

I've never done anything like this but he says he has around 250GB of samples, so I really want to create some 2Box samples which are really detailed with all layers used.  I'm fine with computers but I have never used proper music software - I think some kind soul here should compile a wee guide for us mere mortals!

:patbat2box:

fishmonkey

you don't necessarily need BFD, you can open the WAV files in an audio editor, edit them down to stereo files and then create the DSND files from those.

if you want to use the multichannel info, it would be a lot less hassle if you do have BFD, although you could mix the channels together without it, and batch automate the process.

note that creating a DSND file is not simply a matter of renaming a WAV file. the BFD samples are stored as multichannel WAV files, with a separate file for each velocity layer, whereas a single DSND file contains all the layers for a kit piece.

Baby Samus

Quote from: fishmonkey on October 03, 2010, 01:31:41 AM
you don't necessarily need BFD, you can open the WAV files in an audio editor, edit them down to stereo files and then create the DSND files from those.

if you want to use the multichannel info, it would be a lot less hassle if you do have BFD, although you could mix the channels together without it, and batch automate the process.

note that creating a DSND file is not simply a matter of renaming a WAV file. the BFD samples are stored as multichannel WAV files, with a separate file for each velocity layer, whereas a single DSND file contains all the layers for a kit piece.

Okay, what I'm looking to do is try to make a high resolution kit, with more layers than 2Box use, especially for the snare - if it fills up half the brain I don't care!  I was going to just use maybe DW samples to start and maybe a Gretch kit a la Collins to test.

If each drum has a seperate .wav for each velocity level layer in BFD, would I open each layer I wanted in turn and paste them into a new .wav file with a gap in between each sample then rename it as a .dsnd?  would it be wise to just use the .wav file without adding any effects before converting to .dsnd?  I tend to like a little reverb and I'm not sure if I should add this to the sample or just leave them 'as is'.

I know this is a lot of questions, but I haven't a clue about music software.  I just know my brother has all this good stuff and I am desperate to get some of it working on my 2Box!!

Your help is most appreciated!

fishmonkey

hey, what you need to do is reduce the WAV files to stereo, applying any effects you want.

then you need to use either Louis' DSoundTool or the 2Box editor to import them and create the DSND file. there is no need to join all the samples together manually before you do this.

claes1965

Hi !

Some time ago I made my own .dsnd-files from all sets of my favourite plugin Steven Slate Premium 3.5. Like a dream to play with in my studio.

rythm

Ok, all you guys with good sounds that´s not included in Drumit: I´ve been drooling reading about this so it´s time to stop talking about them. PM me and I´ll let you know where to send them  :rock:

puttenvr

madmanmafimardi

I´have made, phil collins toms and the red and blue jamblock, in hi Q.
we need a dropbox account soon I tink.

Louis

I use sounds from Superior Drummer. Personally I think the especially the SD snare sounds are better than the 2box sounds; they sound a bit richer. I think this is because all 2box sounds are compressed, but unfortunately the compression is not lossless. Some 2box sounds are more compressed than others. I'll try to explain what I mean.

You can see how much a sound is compressed by tuning up the "Tune" parameter to its maximum. For most sounds you end up at 4.0 or 5.0, meaning that the pitch now is 4 (or 5) notes higher (on the 12-note scale). To my understanding, based on my investigations of the .dsnd file format, at this highest tune, the sound is played at 44.1 KHz. The original sampled sound is at tune 0.

That means that a 2box sound with max tune of 5.0 is only sampled at about 33 KHz, and a sound with max tune of 4.0 at roughly 35 KHz. The higher the max tune, the more compressed the sound. This way precious flash space is saved so there is place for more sounds, but unfortunately at a cost of slightly diminished quality of the sounds.

It would be interesting to hear how the 2box sounds would sound "uncompressed", i.e. at "real" 44.1 KHz. I think we would hear an improvement, especially for snare sounds (which are mostly compressed to a tune of 5).

The ideal solution would be if the module could support a lossless compression like FLAC, but I do not know if there is enough computing power in the module. Otherwise perhaps in the future the module could support mp3 or similar for the songs; then many megabytes of flash memory would be freed up which then could be used to have a bit lower compression (and higher quality) of the rest of the sounds.

nonoduweb

Ah, ok. That's why we can't pitch up the sounds made with Dsndtool if the wavs are sampled in 44.1Khz.

Louis

Quote from: nonoduweb on October 06, 2010, 06:27:22 AM
Ah, ok. That's why we can't pitch up the sounds made with Dsndtool if the wavs are sampled in 44.1Khz.

That's correct!

fishmonkey

thanks for that info Louis, it makes sense of the whole tuning mystery!

BURNIN AMBITION

Quote from: TimDeBim on July 20, 2010, 05:26:43 PM
Hi there,
I made a first try recording a 10 inch splash from Stagg (rather cheap one) and then constructing a dsnd file with the Sound Editor. You can get it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/408034608/Stagg_10.dsnd.html

It's not perfect, I just recorded 10 samples of different dB's with two dynamic mic's, not at all studio conditions...

But if you like try it out and give me some feedback...
mate can you reupload the file? it is deleted
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11