News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD-Card mod step by step

Started by Manfred, August 26, 2011, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drum2

Hm, I have an open mind to that..

Jman

Quote from: geo on March 19, 2014, 05:05:02 PM
Moot point really. Pretty sure the user guide says just opening the brain is enough to void the warranty.
Not really, there is no warranty info or warnings about opening the module at all in the User Guide. I'm not saying that it is a green light to open the module. But I do know that we originally got the step by step guide with pictures for opening up the module and changing the SD card from 2Box. There was a batch of modules years back that had problems with the SD card. So some people opted to change their own cards with the company's blessing. And doing the external card mod is basically as simple as changing the internal memory card. Unless someone has a bizarre accident like spilling their beer in the open case, it is simple and won't alter or harm the module as long as care is taken during the process.

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

Quote from: Airwolf One on April 03, 2014, 12:34:00 PM
SD CARD NOT WORKING_CAN YOU PLEASE HELP?

Hello,

I've followed all the tips for replacing the SD CARD of the brain module of the DRUMIT FIVE, including formatting the card to DOS (FAT) and then copying the files from the original 4GB SD card to a 16GB SD card.

After installing the new SD card, I switch on the brain and it reports:

"DrumIt_Five
FAT_S_0512_C_08k
SerNr   Boot   OS
00996  1.30  1.26"

and from there it does not load. By pressing any of the buttons of the brain it just stays on the screen.

What could be the problem?

Maybe because of this?
Original 4GB SD card is a class 6
New 16 GB SD card is a class 10

Or maybe because of this?
The new 16GB SD card has been formatted with a Mac, using DOS (FAT) as a format setting (at the moment I don't have a pc for checking if this is the reason)

What else could it be?

Thank you for the consideration and any help you could offer me

Alberto
airwolfone@gmail.com
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1941.msg17330#msg17330

Jman

paul_4#

Did the mod which thx to the great people on this site was pretty straight forward - unfortunately the extension ribbon I got from eBay was faulty so im looking for another - if anyone has a link to a better seller than the one I used/or site - that would be awesome - also do all these ribbons read cards of 32 gig or should I be looking for a certain type ? sorry for questions but pc stuff is definitely not my strong point,

must say a huge thx to Lustar too for his superb program and his help getting things on my card

InTheBox

Got my SD card extension off ebay. Took a long while to get here (free shipping from China), but works like a charm after installation (thanks for the guide).

However, I noticed when it arrived that it had 2-16 GB printed on it. Does that mean that I can't use any SD card larger than 16 GB? Not that it matters much, but it would be annoying to buy a larger one and find out it doesn't work.

Dudemann-A2E

I just successfully completed this modification using these two items:

Lexar Professional 1000X 32GB SD card - It came in a retail box.
https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Professional-UHS-II-Software-LSD32GCRBNA1000/dp/B00PLENZF2

This SD extender cable
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00879U4O8/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I transferred the files from the 4GB card (that was in the 2Box module) to the new 32GB card. I also added the sounds from the E-Nerd kit, and then used the new 32GB card in the 2Box to create a new kit from those sounds on the 2Box interface. Everything works the way it should.

The cladding on the ribbon cable of the extender shown above is thin, so I covered it with electrical tape where it passes through the bottom cover of the 2Box. This provides a little extra insurance that the bottom cover will not cut through and short the ribbon cable wires.

drabotic

Hello!

I did 32 GB mod and have some issues. I don't know how to explain, when I play drums, I hear some noise beside drum sound. Not when hit single pad, but when play two or more pads fast, then I hear that sound. Feels like cable cracks. Hope you understand what I mean, my english is not so good.

When I put original 4 GB card in extender, everything is ok. That means the problem is in new SD card.

I use Lexar SD card (found in compatibily list).

Did anyone had same problem? How to solve it?

Thanks in advance.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: drabotic on December 26, 2017, 06:08:23 PM
I use Lexar SD card (found in compatibily list).

Did anyone had same problem? How to solve it?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like an SD problem. Is it the exact model on the compatibility list - and did you get it from a reputable source? There are lots of counterfeit cards out there.

drabotic

Quote from: digitalDrummer on December 28, 2017, 07:32:03 AM
Sounds like an SD problem. Is it the exact model on the compatibility list - and did you get it from a reputable source? There are lots of counterfeit cards out there.

Here is the card I use:

I bought it on ebay so I don't know is it fake or not... Package was original... Looks like I must try with another card...

Thanks for help... :rock:

JoeyD

How road worthy is this after the mod? I use my brain with my cover band and would like to expand it, but do not want to worry about it jiggling loose in the case bouncing around the trailer.

Jman

Quote from: JoeyD on June 20, 2019, 08:47:37 PM
How road worthy is this after the mod? I use my brain with my cover band and would like to expand it, but do not want to worry about it jiggling loose in the case bouncing around the trailer.
Well, whether you do the card mod or not I would highly recommend putting your module in a padded case when transporting. If it is in a padded case it would be fine with or without the card mod. Electonic modules and bouncing around don't work well together. There are lots of drummers gigging that have done the Card mod though for sure.

lkroeker

Just completed this mod myself.  Had a kit for years, and hadn't played in a while, but getting back into it again and finally decided to get this hooked up. 

Easy, ordered my extender from Amazon (Canada) and used a fast 32GB Samsung SDHC card that I was using in my work DSLRs. I was all ready with a bunch of different cards to try and it worked first try.

Thanks to OP for detailed walkthrough, and the link for SD card formatter.

K3NH

Hi is there any chance to get photos? They appear to be removed

Quote from: Manfred on August 26, 2011, 08:41:48 PM
Hello,

since it is not available anymore at the 2Box-Homepage i thought i post a description how to replace the SD-Card or put in a SD-Card-Extender. I received the SD-Card-Extender this morning and couldn't wait to put it in. Here is the description how i did it which is almost the same that was at the homepage:

Please make sure you disconnect the Unit from the mains power, before beginning any work on the Unit. For ESD reasons avoid touching any components or plated areas or wear an ESD strap. On the housing one can read "Warranty void if opened", so do at your own risk.

Required Tools

- Phillips screwdriver
- Torx screwdriver TX10
- Tool to remove nuts (flat pliers works fine)

Step 1

Remove the 3 rotary dial knobs and the level knob from the top panel by pulling them straight up.

Step 2

Take the Phillips screwdriver an unscrew the 4 screws on the 2 MIDI sockets.

Step 3

Unscrew and remove the 18 nuts from the jack sockets.

Step 4

Turn the unit upside down and place it on a soft surface. Unscrew the 5 Torx screws holding the lower lid to the upper orange lid.

Step 5

Gently lift up the front edge of the lower lid and move it down slightly and then backwards to release it from the jack sockets.

Step 6

Remove the bottom lid and you will now see the circuit board. Avoid touching any components or plated areas. Remove the 9 screws holding the circuit board to the upper lid. Lift up the circuit board by holding it at the jack sockets and the edges. Locate the SD-card slot holder on the left hand side.

Step 7

To remove the SD card, ease it out gently from the holder. Now insert your SD-Card-Extender.
WARNING: Be careful to run the flat cable straight out of the module as pictured. If the cable placement is too close to the module corner the cable will be pinched/creased and rendered useless. When placed correctly there is ample room for the cable to slide freely between the module casing and the bottom cover plate.

Step 8

Insert the circuit board back in to position and very gently screw the 9 screws back in to place. There is no need to over tighten the screws. As soon as the screw meets the circuit boards surface you are fine.

Step 9

With the orange lid still upside down, take the lower lid and angle it in to the small recess underneath the jack sockets. Gently pull the front edge towards you and then down to meet the front of the orange metal work, making sure the holes on the lower lid slide over the jack sockets.

Step 10

Gently screw the 5 torx screws back in to position. Again taking care not to over tighten them.

Step 11

Screw all 18 jack socket nuts back on the jack sockets.

Step 12

Screw the 4 MIDI screws back in to place.

Step 13

Turn the unit up again and replace the 3 rotary dial knobs and the level knob. Be aware of the flat marker area inside the knob matching the detent on the shaft.

Step 14

You can use double sided tape to fix card reader on the housing.

Step 15

Insert SD-Card to card reader and test the unit. If everything is okay the unit boots up as normal. If you put in a card with more than 4GB it might take a few seconds more to boot up. To prepare other SD-Cards simply copy operating system, settings-file and sounds from you old card.

Have fun!!