News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD-Card mod step by step

Started by Manfred, August 26, 2011, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulrmr

Quote from: olijack on March 28, 2013, 07:53:14 PM
Thank for your answer, then I'll buy an extender.

wait...why are you buying another extender? Didn't you already do the mod?

Jman

Quote from: fulrmr on March 28, 2013, 10:28:36 PM
wait...why are you buying another extender? Didn't you already do the mod?
He put the 32GB card directly into the module without an extender ... not very practical, because the only way to access it to delete or add dsnds or update OS, etc. ....  is to open the module again.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fulrmr

Quote from: Jman on March 28, 2013, 11:05:04 PM
He put the 32GB card directly into the module without an extender ... not very practical, because the only way to access it to delete or add dsnds or update OS, etc. ....  is to open the module again.

Ahh...I read it like he already  did the mod. But even after the mod...you can't use the usb any more...correct?

Jman

Quote from: fulrmr on March 29, 2013, 01:59:34 AM
Ahh...I read it like he already  did the mod. But even after the mod...you can't use the usb any more...correct?
2Box USB won't work with more than 4GB cards. So when you do the mod and use the larger cards no USB connection with the module. But it is actually faster and easier IMO to use the card in a card reader with your computer. You can still do all the things you normally do like update OS, add, delete, rename files. Use the 2Box editor or Dsoundtool, etc ... and faster too.

fulrmr

Quote from: Jman on March 29, 2013, 03:34:01 AM
2Box USB won't work with more than 4GB cards. So when you do the mod and use the larger cards no USB connection with the module. But it is actually faster and easier IMO to use the card in a card reader with your computer. You can still do all the things you normally do like update OS, add, delete, rename files. Use the 2Box editor or Dsoundtool, etc ... and faster too.

Cool. Thanks. That's kinda what I thought. :)

olijack

I thought in the begining that put 32Go in module + use the USB was possible to access on directory and change it, but unfortunately no. I've bought an extender and today that works.
:drum1:

Jman

Just as a warning when running the card extender cable to the outside of the module be sure to do it as pictured in Manfred's description/photo .... DO NOT GO TOO CLOSE TO THE CORNER .... if you look closely at the photos you will see a groove in the orange case that runs about 2/3 the distance of the module side, and if you keep your cable in that area things will work fine. The cable should have enough space to actually slide easily when the bottom panel is put back on. If you go to close to the corner you will crease the cable and render the extender useless.

Manfred, if you happen to see this post ..... I hope you don't mind, I put a Warning about this in Step 7 of the instructions. I know of at least 3 people that have put the cable near the corners and ruined them that way.

Manfred

Quote from: Jman on November 15, 2013, 02:19:39 AM

Manfred, if you happen to see this post ..... I hope you don't mind

Of course I don't mind. Improvements are always welcome.

Regards, Manfred

CBN

Quote from: GenuineHuman on January 26, 2012, 11:10:34 AM
Formatting SD cards in Mac and Windows is kind of doggy too. Use this to format SD cards: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

Thanks!! this tip gut me back on track :-)

ribfreak

Hi guys,

I`m a newbie in here although I`m definetly not new to e-drumming..... currently I´m waiting for my 2box module to arrive and started catching up with everything related to it by working myself through this great forum! Now:

It seems to me that beefing up the flash RAM is an absolute must since I plan to convert a lot of stuff from AD. Since I`m a trained electronic technician the conversion described at the start of this thread won`t be a problem- there simply aren`t any true "electronic" skills needed for it... what I can`t really understand is why obviously nobody simply cuts a hole to the side of his module to gain an easy access to the card slot which is already there?

I read a lot about problems with cards that won`t boot as soon as they´re in the external reader due to the long cable, so accessing the internal slot IMHO would be the perfect work-around? So why is it that nobody just does it this way? As soon as you just open up the module your factory warranty has run out anyway....

Regards,
Wolfgang

Murgen

Simple, cutting a hole throught a rather thick metalic casing is harder and not reversable. From the design / location of the SD-mount on the print I'm convinced it was intented to have an external slot. However, not many SD cards qualify and why take the risk 2Box get a bad rep because of inferior 3rd party SD card suppliers?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Haggis-man

Also cutting a hole in the side of the module will invalidate your warranty. Using the cable extender means the whole process is reversible too.

Murgen

Reversable - reversible ... This Drumming Dutchman needs a spell checker in his iPad Safari.  :animal:
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on February 08, 2014, 12:54:01 PM
Reversable - reversible ... This Drumming Dutchman needs a spell checker in his iPad Safari.  :animal:
With the Modify tab .... posts are like the external card slot ..... reversible ;)

geo

Quote from: Brian-D on February 08, 2014, 11:46:24 AM
Also cutting a hole in the side of the module will invalidate your warranty. Using the cable extender means the whole process is reversible too.

Moot point really. Pretty sure the user guide says just opening the brain is enough to void the warranty.