News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD-Card mod step by step

Started by Manfred, August 26, 2011, 08:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

Hi there. My components came in today! Thanks to Tony and Jman. Must wait a cpl of weeks (my 2-Box is the shop-model, was in the shop for just 2 weeks and in good shape) and I can still decide to swap it for a new one when new stock arrives (2-4 weeks from now).

--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

ddrummer68

Just want to say thanks.  My 2box came in from Al at Boom Theory, and I did the mod tonight; took about 30 minutes.  Works great, thanks to all of you.  Now, I can't wait for the weekend, so I can PLAY.

digitalDrummer

Is Boom Theory a 2Box dealer? That would be news to most of us...

ddrummer68

He will include the Drumit5 as an option for those who are buying his drums. 

And now, I'm again in the market for another SD extender.  My mod lasted for 2 days. As soon as I moved everything into 'playing position', I began getting FAT errors at boot up.   The 4GB card still works fine when directly connected, so perhaps the ribbon cable got too bent. 

Murgen

Executed the mod-operation last night. Prepped a copy of the original SD on my Mac with a Cube Beech kit:

Then loaded the content to the 32 GB SD. Clicked the new SD in the extender slot and almost as fast as the original the Brain booted up.

Very nice kit, the Cube Beech. Also worked on the Tama Warlord but the snare has too much ambiance to sound cool.
--------

Murgen

And more more thing: looking at the position of the SD-card on the Brains board I think they considered an external access to the SD-card during the design-phase. It is not too hard to make a SD-slot in the side-panel of the cover.

I wonder why they dropped the idea ... maybe because of costs? However a SD-slot versus the USB-port? Maybe because an US-slot is less vulnerable.
--------

Manfred

Quote from: Murgen on June 03, 2012, 03:43:01 PM

I wonder why they dropped the idea ...

Well this question seems quite easy to answer. Just look around in this and other threads in the forum. Most SD-Cards on the market don't offer enough performance to work in the 2Box brain without adding too much latency.

Just imagine the discussions and complaints about latency if the card would be accessible. I guess thats the reason why 2Box decided to keep it as it is.

Regards, Manfred

Murgen

Quote from: Manfred on June 03, 2012, 05:29:07 PM
Well this question seems quite easy to answer. Just look around in this and other threads in the forum. Most SD-Cards on the market don't offer enough performance to work in the 2Box brain without adding too much latency.

Just imagine the discussions and complaints about latency if the card would be accessible. I guess thats the reason why 2Box decided to keep it as it is.

Regards, Manfred

You are prolly very right.
--------

Drama

Please notice: If the Cable of the SD-Card-Extender is too long You could get some Problems (Latency, wrong Samples/Instruments are played, ...).

BURNIN AMBITION

minhe is long but i have no latency etc
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

GeeMo

I am now in possesion of my 16gb card and extender cable, in fact I've had them for a few weeks but I'm terrified of taking the module to bits to install, I've only had the module 6 weeks, I'm assuming the modification invalidates my warranty with 2Box ?

With that said has anybody had an issues with the module in general and had to to return / get a replacement ?

Cheers G

edtc

Quote from: GeeMo on August 17, 2012, 02:19:31 PM
I am now in possesion of my 16gb card and extender cable, in fact I've had them for a few weeks but I'm terrified of taking the module to bits to install, I've only had the module 6 weeks, I'm assuming the modification invalidates my warranty with 2Box ?

With that said has anybody had an issues with the module in general and had to to return / get a replacement ?

Cheers G

The only thing you have to worry about , is to be really carefull when unscrewing or screwwing ...  the threads are a bit fragile .... the screws are directly in the aluminium cast and its easy to damage the threads  ...  try to use the best fitting screwdriver , so you dont have to force too much ...

If you take your time , everything will be turn to be  ok ;)

Jman

Quote from: GeeMo on August 17, 2012, 02:19:31 PM

Cheers G

It's all at own risk of course. I won't "officially" recommend the mod. But unofficially I definitely feel the benefits are excellent. Access to the card, easily load or change cards with new OS, sounds, etc... lots more space for samples.
Personally it hasn't scared me in the least. The instructions for disassembly of the module that Manfred posted originally came from the 2Box website and were supplied for those that had one of a bad batch of memory cards in their module. So, it is basically the same procedure, except you are plugging in an extender/card that will stay outside the module.

And ... no, at least to my knowledge, no one has posted saying they have screwed up their module during or after the mod ..... but eventually someone will probably find a way to do something incredibly stupid like leave the module plugged in when disassembling, or dropping their ice cream cone in the open module, or, or ....  ;D ;) ;D ::)
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

digitalDrummer

One thing to note is the hex nuts. Make sure you use a good quality screwdriver to take them out. I tried with a cheapie and couldn't budge them. When I used a decent tool, they came out much more easily.

GeeMo

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it !