News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What do you think of OS 1.20?

Started by Deve Loper, August 25, 2011, 09:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deve Loper

Hi all.

OS 1.20 has been out now a little while and I like to take the opportunity to ask your opinions. I've already read (mostly good) feedback which I do appreciate. So please keep on commenting (preferably on this thread) and I'll keep an eye on it.

Also, did you think the OS 1.20 Update pdf was helpful? Of course it's great if improvements / changes are obvious without any explanation, but I recommend reading it to get the most out of it.

Thanks,

Deve.

Manfred

Hi Deve,

of course i read the PDF file even before i updated the OS. I like those descriptions of changes and new features.

New features which i already use :

- Enhanced settings for Hihat pedal
- Enhanced cymbal trigger settings (separate gain for cup/bow)
- Trigger crosstalk settings (solved problems between tom 3 and ride cymbal)

New fatures which i plan to use/test in the near future:

- Single kits and Bank select
- Loops
- Equalizer

The other things are nice to have for me but i don't think that i need or use it in the near near future. And here are a few points i would appreciate to see in the next release:

- Break up the 4GB limit for USB data transfer
- Positional sensing (you mentioned that module and file format are already capable to do PS)
- Reverb effect (only if it does not affect performance and latency)
- Display velocity on UNIT - TRIG in numbers (0-127) and not only bargraphs
- Fix velocity for metronome

The last to things can already be done. But to see velocity in numeric values i have to connect a PC via MIDI. And for the metronome i can create a sound with just on sample. So not really a big deal but nice to have it in the module.

More important in my opinion is to improve the situation with the sound editor and spare parts. The set is now on the market for two years but there is still no editor from 2Box which is able to create multi zone sounds. I know that there is some progress but having a good editor is mandatory in my opinion. And there are also no extra cymbals available for a reasonable price. But since you improved the usage of other cymbals it is not a big problem.

Thanks again for free updates and new sounds! Looking to your competitors i don't take this for granted.

Regards, Manfred

nonoduweb

Hello deve,

- OS 1.20 update pdf: yes it was helpful for me.

- New OS 1.20 features that I use:
      loops (excellent for practising - the Drumitloop program works very well)
      Single Kits (good if you want to add quickly some new kits )
      Different dkit files selection (I have now several configurations)
      Equalizer

The cup detection is better and improved, not perfect but good enough for me. I read that the wave detection analysis is not possible with our cymbals?
Very good hihat foot improvements.

Possible OS improvements for the future:
      pos. sensing (IMO it's not a problem if the 2box pads don't allow to have perfect concentric zones...)
      possibility to layer sounds (it would allow to add some pre-calculated reverbs)
      possibility to change the parameters of the different zones of a cymbal (volume, sound, midi note...)
      like Manfred, display of the velocity number.
      USB detection when the module is plugged in a computer (it's certainly difficult to realize...)

Thanks for all your work!

puttenvr

To my opinion the changes in the new OS are great. Further improvements on the ride triggering must be solved with a new (hardware) cymbal with 2 or 3 seperate triggers. Please offer that only for the RIDE. The current cymbals are perfect for crash/splash

I doubt whether people are waiting for more compressed sounds or not. Perhaps it's an idea to give the option of installing a bigger SD card instead.

One more wish: sound layering. Esp. snare sounds sometimes can be merged to get a more spectaculair sound

vriendelijke groeten aan Dev

BURNIN AMBITION

why do i think that i already posted here?

of course i am more than happy

the improvements are amazing. kit swapping, better cymbal trigerring, xtrig, all these really did it

of course anyone can always find some things to complain, but in general, it is the first time , i really enjoy my 2box

still it can take improvements. but now, everything works at a very good degree, and we can now relax and take the improvemnts bit by bit

for me the real good think you have to consider deve, is to not release a mk3 soon. for me the current hardware must stay in the market for at least one year.
this will give the 2box to establish itself as the best drum kit ever.

after that, you can consider small changes (and we could consider buying the mk3)

and if you could offer for mk2 owners the possibility to return the mk2, pay some extra money  and get the mk3, that would be awesome!!!

(ok i am out of my mind i know)

in the future, the hardware changes should be these

the clamps sholdbe better, i have noticed some war of them that makes them move more than they should. please make them like the gibraltar clamps

hi hat stand should not be attached to the rack and be more stable.it wobbles a lot (but if it means that the kit will be much more expensive, everyone can live with it). the kick pad should somehow have a beeter stand that connects to the rack not from the low point of it but from middle so that it doesnt move a lot. better pedal that has not letters written  it (so that you can perform slide technique) and be moe stable cause it moves left and right. still most of us have our won pedals, but thats my suggestion). and if it is a hardware issue, yes please positional sensing. and if the cymbals could have a thicker and softer plastic coating so that they make less noise would be awesome(like the roland cy-5).last would be a way to remove the card without opening the brain( most of us like me have done some tricks with sd extender etc though)

conserning the software
mp3 support
please onekit with every tom cymbal hi hat etc having many many layers. especially or hi hat it would make a difference
a great editor we can easily use
the ability to change the midi notes of edge bow bell
the ability to change midi notes to a specific kit
some sounds for metronome that can count one eand a etc

these all i mentioned are small things that can be changed and i wiould be even more happy

but the real thing is that as the kit is i am really happy. really really happy

of course i amalways trying to improve things as i am a perfectionist
i will try manfred diy hihat thingy, i am making a diy kick pad rod that will hold the hi hat more stable (will post pictures soon) and need to experiment even more with the brain settings

but as it is it really is awesome, for me it is by far the best kit available at the best price and by far we have the best customer care and support. and we appreciate it a lot and we thank ytou deve

take care and thanx

2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

G-LOOPS

hello lucky 2box owners !

Is it possible to use a pad (for example Tom 4 ,witch i don't use..) for increase programs  ?
it would be useful ,to avoid using the unit manually..
Thanks for your answers

nonoduweb

No, not possible. This feature was in a previous beta version but not in the actual OS version.

Jman

Love the new OS ... Cymbal response and compatibility much improved due to the new features. Better control on the HH pedal splash. Great being able to add new kits to the module beyond #100. The loop library works great, start and stop from any pad you choose.

My 1 feature I hope can be added via an update would be the ability to access/play a second kit or perhaps just the percussion instruments simultaneously via MIDI In .... making it possible to expand the no. of pads. Right now I have 2 modules with inputs filled. I have additional pads for blocks, bells, congas, timbales, etc.... a separate percussion section.... I have MIDI'd into the 2Box module for some of that .... and can use the sounds from the module, but it would be good to be able to use those simultaneous to the pads already assigned to inputs possibly via a different MIDI channel. On some of the higher end Roland modules you could do this by using the Channel 11 Percussion instruments via MIDI with the main kit on the Channel 10 drum instruments. Unless I missed something, I don't think we can do that yet on the D5 module?   
Thanks for the great improvements and ongoing support of this great new drum module Deve! Jerry
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

beppedrum

Unfortunately I have not had major improvements in OS 1.20 and my Smartrigger Cymbals
The Bell Trigger is still not working!
I'm waiting for Jman and its fantastic cymbals

edtc

Quote from: beppedrum on August 29, 2011, 04:42:56 PM
Unfortunately I have not had major improvements in OS 1.20 and my Smartrigger Cymbals
The Bell Trigger is still not working!

Witch Smarttrigger have you ? the ride with bell trigger or the crash ?

beppedrum

I have:
1 China 14" monotrigger (works well)
1 splash 10" monotrigger w.w.
2 ride 16" 3 zone as crash (work not well)
1 ride 18" 2 zone as ride (w.n.w.)
with the trigger type CY12 or CY14, CY EDG and CYCUP I have always zone 4

edtc

Quote from: beppedrum on August 30, 2011, 10:48:01 AM
I have:
1 China 14" monotrigger (works well)
1 splash 10" monotrigger w.w.
2 ride 16" 3 zone as crash (work not well)
1 ride 18" 2 zone as ride (w.n.w.)
with the trigger type CY12 or CY14, CY EDG and CYCUP I have always zone 4

Thats sounds strange to me , because even with a mono pad you should have BOW(zone4) and BELL(zone1) working ...

So , i m note sure if the EDGE sensor of these can transmit impact  so Zone8 is triggered ( but according to the SMARTRIGGER evasive documentation it should...:) ) , but at least you must have  Zones 4 &1 working....

Something else ... if you want the bell to be accurate ,you must use the sensor which is in the bell , so your 16" should be better for ride ...

I dont know how the jacks are under the cymbals , but you should manage to have :
         *bell sensor on tip of the jack
         *Edge switch  on ring of the jack
Thats the 2 box design for 3zone triggering....

At last , 3 zones are only working in CY14 & CY12 mode ...  CY EDG and CYCUP are 2 zone

If somebody has Alesis Surge or smartrigger ,   can you confirm that EDGE is working as a switch when you hit it ...