News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

An idea to play more sounds from your Drumit5 ....

Started by edtc, August 14, 2011, 09:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edtc

hi  dear 2boxers ,

Here s a little trick i found this week to have more cymbal sounds comming from the Drumit 5 module .

Many users have only 2 2box cymbals , and the third input stays unused ... Lets use it to play 3 diferent cymbal sounds , for example  a crash , a splash and a china ... I m sure many of you agree that having 3 zones on a china , a splash or a crash isnt really a must...

For this you ll need another module ,like a cheap ALESIS TRIGGER I/O or whatever you have , 3 mono cymbals pads and a midi cable.

Plug the extra cymbals on the extra module and assign their midi notes to E5 F5 and F#5 on midi chanel 10 . Then link the midi out to the drumit5 midi in ... you can notice now that you have the 3 zones played  on the 3 pads .

Then you ll just have to build your own DSND file with a crash a splash and a china or whatever you need on each zone .
You ll need DSOUNDtool to create it , on this soft you can make 3 zones cymbal sound .

This  trick can be usefull too for those who d like to have the Bell sound on an other pad to be sure they reach  this dammned bell each time they hit ... and there are a lot , if you ve read the forum the past few months ...
like this you dont have to waste a pad input on the 2BOX module , and in all the kits , the propper bell sound will be triggered  by the same pad  without the need of programming  it .... ;)

Finally , if you want to be able to choke the sound on those extra cymbals , it s possible with a bit of wiring :

lets say one of the extra cymbals has an edge switch . Then you can use this switch to choke the cymbals ( it will choke all the 3 sounds together because they are played from one DSOUND ).
Youll need to split the signal from this cymbal pad , so TIP/SLEEVE goes to the external module , and RING/SLEEVE goes to the DRUMIT5 CYM3 input .  Attention , a normal Y cable dosent work , the RING from the cymbal pad  has to be connected to the RING of the input. You can simply modify the cable , by soldering a stereo jack on the ring side and solder it properly...

It s a little bit of work , but it s a good way to make a crappy drum module play first class 2BOX dsounds and give a second life to old triangular rubber pads or DIY triggers ...  it s time to get your old OCTAPAD8 back from the attic...:)

Of course it s not just for cymbals , for example 3 conga sounds or any perc or FX could be added this way...

So thats all folks ! 

have fun , and share your new multiDsounds... :)

twisted.mellow

Excellent idea to use up a few spare zones. Nice work dude! Alas, it doesn't help me. I will be buying ANOTHER 2Box module shortly :)

edtc

hi

for those who want to try , i share the first 3zone DSnds i've made , using EU cymbal sounds and the Pete Lockett's bendir found on the 2BOX website ...

the first one has a crash18" (bow) a splash10"(bell) and a china16"(edge)

3zoneCR18CH16SP10.dsnd

...For some reasons that i ignore , the cymbal dsnd has to be tuned to-5 to perform well ...
I couldnt find where tofix this in Dsoundtool .... Louis if you here me...;)

And here are the 3 bendir sounds from Pete Lockett' pulled in one Dsnd file:

bendir 3 zones.dsnd

have fun

RockStarGate

If I just wanted a three zone ride and left the other 2 cymbal inputs empty, could I run 6 single zone cymbals with choke into a TMI and trigger the available 6 zones of the 2 cymbal inputs? If so, could I then make custom 3-way splitters to to activate the chokes on all 6?

edtc

Quote from: RockStarGate on January 21, 2012, 09:48:01 PM
If I just wanted a three zone ride and left the other 2 cymbal inputs empty, could I run 6 single zone cymbals with choke into a TMI and trigger the available 6 zones of the 2 cymbal inputs? If so, could I then make custom 3-way splitters to to activate the chokes on all 6?

6 mono cymbals via TMI , yes I'm sure .... 

For sure choke will mute all 3 sounds at a time too .... tried it

About  choke , well..... if you plug only the 3 cymbal edge switches to the DRUMIT ring input , it s possible that hitting edge will choke the sound too ....  Could be a problem ..... But It s worth the try

...   IMO , maybe the small latency induced by the TMI midi transmission ( 3 to 6 ms ...) should be enough for the DRUMIT to register  the edge hit before the midi note , so maybe no choked sound   when you hit edge  and still choke possible when you pinch it  after hitting ... ;);););) 

The problem is when you hit  a cymbal , hitting a second one at the edge should logically stop the sound of the first one .... and so on... :(:(:(: !!!!

A compromise could be to only wire the edge switch of one cymbal  per cymbal input  , and use it to choke the 2 others , knowing that if you hit this one at the edge , it will choke the 2 others ...

If you want all 6 extra cymbals to be choked at one time , it s also possible to wire  the 2 switch channel to a simple switch pedal or hand button ....

Let us know when you try ...

RockStarGate

Thanks edtc, I'll try it out when I get to that point. Just got my module and my kit is in storage for another week until I move. It would be sweet if it worked!

edtc

you're welcome ....

this way you could maybe trig your whole monster kit ...

7 cymbals 6 mono toms 2 dual snare and hihat ....  full on drumit5 !!!

Krillo

I have a Roland TMC-6 and an Aphex Impulse TMI for sale, just PM me if interested!