News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat with other brand cymbals

Started by Manfred, August 14, 2011, 04:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalDrummer

Quote from: waynec42 on April 21, 2013, 03:37:05 AM

almost everyone hates the stock hihat because it simply doesn't work properly
I think that's a bit harsh. It does work properly in terms of producing variable sounds. Some of us, however, don't like the feel - and that's a personal thing. I'm sure there are people who love it.

fulrmr

Quote from: waynec42 on April 21, 2013, 03:37:05 AM

Chuckle..

I wonder if 2box read these forums. If they do, I hope they've worked out that almost everyone hates the stock hihat because it simply doesn't work properly. I wish 2box were able to use the roland designed hihat. I guess it's too expensive.

I think the best solution right now is the second option above - tear it apart and build the controller box.

I plan to do this at stage.

Well...that's what I did but frankly.......I used the hat in it's stock form and it functioned  just fine. It just didn't  feel as good to me as the other "rubber" cymbal offerings. The controller itself whether stock or  in modded box form, functions perfectly with the right cymbal stand. ;)

waynec42

Quote from: digitalDrummer on April 21, 2013, 07:54:23 AM
I think that's a bit harsh. It does work properly in terms of producing variable sounds. Some of us, however, don't like the feel - and that's a personal thing. I'm sure there are people who love it.

No seriously, mine doesn't work properly. 2box have confirmed that my is working as expected, which I consider not properly.

What mine does (and I've tested this with another hihat cymbal) is when playing the foot chick, the bow will always trigger with it (Zones 9 and 4 together). It sounds wrong.

So instead of getting the foot chick sound only I get both, and sometimes they don't trigger at the same time. It makes me sound like I'm playing out of time. I know I'm not the most awesome-est drummer around, but I'm not that bad.

2box tried to tell me that part of the bow sound is mixed with the foot chick. I dismantled the hihat and tested this theory. With the circuit board out of the cymbal, I triggered just the foot chick sound manually by moving the magnet as it would move towards the cymbal if mounted normally, and guess what - only the foot chick triggered and I heard a nice foot chick sound with no bow sample.

Anyhow, just putting up with it for the moment until I figure out the best solution.

...also, I don't really have a problem with the feel.

fulrmr

Quote from: waynec42 on April 22, 2013, 11:12:14 PM
No seriously, mine doesn't work properly. 2box have confirmed that my is working as expected, which I consider not properly.

What mine does (and I've tested this with another hihat cymbal) is when playing the foot chick, the bow will always trigger with it (Zones 9 and 4 together). It sounds wrong.

So instead of getting the foot chick sound only I get both, and sometimes they don't trigger at the same time. It makes me sound like I'm playing out of time. I know I'm not the most awesome-est drummer around, but I'm not that bad.

2box tried to tell me that part of the bow sound is mixed with the foot chick. I dismantled the hihat and tested this theory. With the circuit board out of the cymbal, I triggered just the foot chick sound manually by moving the magnet as it would move towards the cymbal if mounted normally, and guess what - only the foot chick triggered and I heard a nice foot chick sound with no bow sample.

Anyhow, just putting up with it for the moment until I figure out the best solution.

Well...after this comment...I totally agree. Since you took it apart and tested it and  it solved your issue.......Build a box from the stock parts and get an different cymbal to use as the hat. Sounds like your only solution.

BURNIN AMBITION

Quote from: waynec42 on April 22, 2013, 11:12:14 PM

play a bit with the settings. it is all about threshold. your hi hat is fine. had the same issue and solved it by experimenting with settings...
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

waynec42

Quote from: BURNIN AMBITION on April 25, 2013, 01:07:19 PM
play a bit with the settings. it is all about threshold. your hi hat is fine. had the same issue and solved it by experimenting with settings...

hmmmm.....in the time that I've had it, I've played quite a bit with the settings. Do you mean the hihat settings rather than the HPED settings? I find that if I find a threshold that works then it makes the hihat not sensitive enough so I get alot of hits on the bow that don't trigger - pretty much every '&' note played (as in eighth notes - 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc...) since they are generally a lower velocity.

I'll have another go tonight since you made the suggestion anyhow. You never know.

Maybe you can let me know all your settings for both hihat and HPED.

BURNIN AMBITION

yes i meant hi hat settings. threshold. when i was troubled like you, i tried to find the best settings taht would allow me to have all my hits registered, without trigerring accidental foot chicks.it took some experimenting but i did it
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

waynec42

Quote from: BURNIN AMBITION on April 26, 2013, 11:05:43 PM
yes i meant hi hat settings. threshold. when i was troubled like you, i tried to find the best settings taht would allow me to have all my hits registered, without trigerring accidental foot chicks.it took some experimenting but i did it

So, I've had another go with the settings.

With the hihat threshold at -12 ( the highest setting) I can still make the bow (Zone 4) trigger by playing the foot chick although they are reduced. Apart from that, my played ghost notes on the bow aren't heard at that threshold.

peanutismint

Just read this entire thread (all 13 pages!) to see the story unfold and wanted to share my situation.

I have a Roland kit with a Hart ECymbal II hi hat, and have just bought a 2Box module so now need to either buy a convertor like Manfred/Jman make, or make my own, or if my hi hat isn't compatible buy another one and a convertor box, or use a 2Box hi hat, but then I'd need a hi hat stand...

So many options! But unsure which is best... I love the 'real' feel of my Hart Dynamics eCymbal, but worried it's not compatible. Also when I think about making my own convertor box, I've seen plenty of schematics but not 100% sure how to read them, and also seen plenty of pics of the PCB, but wouldn't have the means to create one so it'd be on a breadboard or just components wired together (which I'm also unsure how to re-create from the schematics...).

Any advice from anybody would be appreciated. Just wanted to let you guys know that it's 2014 and people are still trying to use their own hihats with the 2Box module! :-)

hemiboy

Go with jman by personal message here and or contact him on his website stealthdrums.com . He will guide you the best! I have all his triggers for my  cymbals and drums and hats and all work flawlessly

peanutismint

Hey man, thanks. I've already been in touch with the great Jman but he's asking like £80 for this tiny little box and I could buy the official 2Box hi hats for like £150...! So I think I'm just gonna do that. If it was like £20 maybe I'd consider it....

mrallgood101

Just like "peanutismint" did..... I too have Roland pads (PD-125), and have also read ALL 13 pages in this thread!

I think I'm gonna tryout Jman's hi-hat fix. I've been emailing back & forth with him the past couple days (i think he might be a little tired of hearing from me lol), and personally I'm ok with the price....as long as it works. Plus i like the idea of using actual hi-hat cymbals converted to e-drums. I'm just concerned if Jman one day does like Manfred had to do....and stopped making that hi-hat kit!

This is why I've been torn between getting Jman's hi-hat and Ride cymbal conversion (which I think are both genius!).... or.... purchase the Roland TD-11 predominately for my cymbals and hi-hat (VH-12). And I would use the 2Box for ALL drums (snare, toms, Kick...and maybe one cymbal). I think this is a better option than getting Zlidjian Gen16. Man... I am so still confused. ESPECIALLY after reading this whole 13 page thread and sensing Manfred's frustration for lack of pre-orders after ALL that hard work he put in. Oh yea, I'm still torn.

How did things work out for you hemiboy? I remember when you was torn between getting Roland or 2Box? How's the Jman hi-hat working out? Is it close to when you used the Roland hi hat?

peanutismint

Haha yeah I think he got tired of hearing from me too...!! But he seems like a really clever guy. The price wouldn't be a huge issue with me but seeing as my beloved eCymbal II is apparently only single-zone (I think) I'd probably end up buying a new hi hat trigger anyway, so it kinda makes better financial sense to give the official 2Box one a try.... I've just ordered one so I'll let you know how it goes.

I know what you mean about getting concerned that these conversion kits might stop being made... I've seen photos of the PCBs and schematics of how they work, but little on the subject of how to actually make one yourself (assuming most people, like myself, don't have access to PCB printing facilities...!!). I think a better option would be for Manfred/Jman to have printed like 50 boards and then sold them as kits (with or without components) for people to solder themselves. I'd be quite happy to do that.

fulrmr

I made mine by gutting the 2Box hat and building my own version because I am not fond of rubber cymbals no matter what brand. This was after Manfred gave up on producing the boards and before Jman started building his. Lots of work dissecting the hat with those little wires. Now I can use any cymbal trigger from any brand for my hats with my 2Box modules and it works superbly. I've used it with A2E triggers, Yamaha 135, Roland CY14, converted Gen16s, and even modified a VH13 to blend tones from the 2Box and the TD-30. That said....if I had to do it again...I would simply buy it from Jman. In fact that is the plan for my next module's arrival. ;)

hemiboy

Yeah went for 2 box and Jman and never looked back at Roland again!