News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Kick-drum problem

Started by Frankly, August 08, 2011, 01:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankly

Ok - thanks. They want 28 euro for shipping though. I better find a store closer...
I found this link:
http://www.ufodrums.com/27mmpiezodisc.htm

Looks very similar to the 27 mm piezo at Condrads - doesn't it?
http://www.conrad.se/?article=710397

I'll send them a question if the specs are the same.

Jman

Quote from: Frankly on August 10, 2011, 10:20:08 PM
Ok - thanks. They want 28 euro for shipping though. I better find a store closer...
I found this link:
http://www.ufodrums.com/27mmpiezodisc.htm

Looks very similar to the 27 mm piezo at Condrads - doesn't it?
http://www.conrad.se/?article=710397

I'll send them a question if the specs are the same.
Yeah, those UFO piezos will work, just check with Mitch to see how much he charges to ship. The ones in your other link should be fine too. I'm just commenting on ones I have experience with. The main reason I buy piezos with no wires is because I prefer to put heavier gauge wires on and coat the soldering and wires at point of connection with hot glue. Those little details tend to make your piezos much more durable. Most piezos with wires attached have very small gauge wires and they can break off easily. The wires can easily be replaced though on piezos like that by simply wiggling them back and forth to break off then solder new wires directly to the solder already on the piezo.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Frankly

Ok - thanks a lot. I'll check em out and maybe give it a try if nothing else helps.
I better by a few right away if the problem will appear again. They were cheap so why not! :)

Thanks again!
Cheers!

Frankly

Today I got the answer from Conrad.se about the Piezo that I thought could be used. They say:
--------------
The piezo of your drumkit cannot be replaced by the article 710397. The impedance of the article 710397 is only 200 Ohm.

We would gladly have helped you, but unfortunately, we have no
items with the specified technical characteristics in our delivery programm.
--------------

I have to check elsewhere then... Story continues...

Jman

Quote from: Frankly on August 16, 2011, 03:25:48 PM
Today I got the answer from Conrad.se about the Piezo that I thought could be used. They say:
--------------
The piezo of your drumkit cannot be replaced by the article 710397. The impedance of the article 710397 is only 200 Ohm.

We would gladly have helped you, but unfortunately, we have no
items with the specified technical characteristics in our delivery programm.
--------------

I have to check elsewhere then... Story continues...

Actually, I wouldn't worry about their comment a bit... If you notice the piezo I gave you a link to is 500 Ohm .... I've been using those for years, and many other 27MM, 20MM, 35Mm piezos with Roland modules, Alesis modules, and 2Box now ...
Piezos are normally used with voltage to them to cause the piezo to bend and vibrate creating a buzzer, or a sound ... We are not using them that way, they are more like a Vibration pickup with tiny voltage changes sent ... so those stats won't be so important ... The piezos you were looking at look like they have a separate exciter area on them ... it is the extra little cutout area at the bottom of the piezo ceramic ... you don't need that ... but even that is not a problem really, you just don't use the wires from that little section .. So, what I am saying is ... I pretty much would guarantee those would work ... but if you can get a normal 27MM piezo more like the one I gave you a link to without the exciter cirquit that would be better IMO ... Or heck, just contact 2Box and see if you can get piezos from them ... they may be willing to help you out .... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Frankly

Thanks a lot Jman for your answer!  :rock:
I have contacted Bengt at 2Box about it but I guess he's still on vacation.
I've printed the data sheet from the piezo you linked to and I'll bring it to Elfa (large electronic store - www.elfa.se) and see if they can help me.

rythm

Quote from: Frankly on August 17, 2011, 09:08:59 AM
Thanks a lot Jman for your answer!  :rock:
I have contacted Bengt at 2Box about it but I guess he's still on vacation.
I've printed the data sheet from the piezo you linked to and I'll bring it to Elfa (large electronic store - www.elfa.se) and see if they can help me.

It would be nice if you posted your results. I´d be interested to know where in Sweden and what piezos to buy.

Frankly

Of course I will let you know!

rythm

Tonight it happened again: another wire loosened from the piezo. I´ve got the MK-1 kick, anyone else here experienced the same thing. Also, anyone who has a solution to prevent this from happening again? It would be quite painful if it happened during a gig.

GenuineHuman

Everything is okay here. I have MK1 kick as well. I'm not gigging with the kit, I'm not even moving it. I'm just playing it at home no more than 1-2 hours a day. I guess the best approach to fixing this would be to find out why the wire breaks. It shouldn't have. Soldering makes the wire stiff and it will break more easily if you solder the wire too far up. Solder should therefore be as small as possible. Before you resolder, make sure you first make a good wire (mechanical) connection, clean the wire and connection, do not move the connection / solder and do not overhear the solder. I'm sorry if you already know all this and I'm not helping.

rythm

Quote from: GenuineHuman on August 17, 2011, 10:08:58 PM
Everything is okay here. I have MK1 kick as well. I'm not gigging with the kit, I'm not even moving it. I'm just playing it at home no more than 1-2 hours a day. I guess the best approach to fixing this would be to find out why the wire breaks. It shouldn't have. Soldering makes the wire stiff and it will break more easily if you solder the wire too far up. Solder should therefore be as small as possible. Before you resolder, make sure you first make a good wire (mechanical) connection, clean the wire and connection, do not move the connection / solder and do not overhear the solder. I'm sorry if you already know all this and I'm not helping.
Thanks, I´m not into soldering at all, so any advice is much appreciated!
I was wondering if the piezos position on the MK-1 (near the beater) makes it more vulnerable. Also, like Jman said here earlier, if it would be wise to switch the original wires for heavier stuff.
If I´m gonna use DrumIt for gigging I have to know it´s reasonably reliable (I have a spare yamaha kick also with me just in case).
More inputs on this are welcomed (Sorry to hijack this thread)...