News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

starting to loose faith in this kit

Started by micke, September 10, 2009, 05:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micke

hello!
since i got this 2box kit 1,5 weeks ago(after waiting 4-5 months and selling of my Roland td20kit), i have played it about 4 times, only about  1hour total because of the aggravation it causes me. Every time I play, i get annoyed with it, there are just soooo many tiny problems with the samples, triggering, and dynamics and vibrations that leads to misstriggering and so on. I have tried every possible parameter to get everything to work but it is hopeless. It is impossible to use for recording due to all these problems. i can't get a 10sec clean recording with it. I realllly hope that the os-update will fix these problems.  Does anyone know when the new os is released? At this point i really miss my td20!

I have to add tough that the snare and toms are super, and if the rest of the pads could work like them, the kit would be beyond any other kit out there.

cabalestra

This means that you are only annoyed by Hi-Hat and cymbals, right?

micke

i actually think that the cymbals are ok.. it is the hihat and kick that drives me crazy!

NeilC

Hi Micke, I was very frustrated with the kick also on first impressions, but then I loosened the mesh head and also taped on a piece of foam this way ghost hits don't trigger, I also turned down the sensitivty so that only real kicks were triggering, I know this is not ideal, but it meant I have absolutely no problems recording now.

micke

NeilC.
Thanks for the tip. where did you tape on the foam? on the meshhead or the beater? Also, i think that the kickpad is kind of loud as it is, so i really dont want to play any harder then i already do. I also lowerd the threshold and gain, but as you said its not ideal. Have you solved the hihat issues yet?

Thanx!

NeilC

Just doublesided sticky tape on the head itself.

It is quite noisy anyway (actual physical sound of the kick being played) I can't see any way round this really. But the foam does reduce it slightly. I think the main issue the rebouce of the actual kick as it's only fixed at the bottom so will always bounce when hit. Maybe I might do a makeshift 'prop' to stop this? Or maybe they might improve the hardware?

In regards to the HH, I don't really have that much of an issue, maybe my playing is a lot different to everyone else. But closed/open, closed->open, open->closed, and foot->closed works fine for me? I don't do a lot of half closed to be honest... not even on the acoustic kit...

micke

i will try the foam:) i always play my hihat semiopen, i guess i have to start playing fully open then, alltough, i think it shouldnt have to be the only way to make it work... as i said erlier, i never had any of these issues with my roland kit (i just hated the unrealistic (to perfect) sound)
thanks again NeilC.

NeilC

let us know how you get on.....

i see it as "we have to dampen and make sacrifices with our acoustic kits, so why not our e-kits too"

we don't live in an ideal world unfortunately....

:)

micke

By the way.. does anyone know if it is possible to change the volume on the pedal down sound?

NeilC

I can't check tonight as not at home! Stupid work have me down in the big smoke until tomorrow night! Grrrr.

Not sure whether you can at all? Is there anything in the manual?

and forgot to say... Don't lose faith!!!

Scottie

Hi Micke

Would you be able to send me a recording of the miss-triggering? I will PM you my email address.

When you say that there are tiny problems with the samples what are you finding?

Thanks
Scott

micke

ill send you a mp3 scottie. i dont have any recorded right now..(deleted em all since they where no good). I will record a new track tomorrow after work and mail it to you.

tanks for all the help!

NeilC

If I'm right Scott, it's when you hit the kick, the beater hits the pad, then the pad moves away from you slightly on impact, then on return to it's 'resting' spot it hits the beater again which (mis)triggers....

micke

here is a weird uppdate on the problem:
once i make any parameter change the problem gets worse with the triggering. if i save the changes and restart the unit it works much better, and i mean alot better..??? so if anyone makes a change of some sort... try saving and restarting and see if this helps... weird?

cabalestra

When I tried the kit last Saturday I did not notice this mistriggering on the bass drum. The hi-hat, instead, troubled me. Today I have read a very positive review of the jobeky controller http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52642: according to what I have read (and seen) it's very promising! The only thing which I am not sure of is whether it would be compatible with the drumit five. I emailed them and will keep you in the loop about their answer. If it works, it would be great!