News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Experiences with kit loudness/ vibration

Started by indie-ota, April 24, 2012, 04:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indie-ota

Has anyone here had any good experiences with matresses, blankets, carpets or any other damping/baffling material to prevent the kit from developing high levels of sound and vibration (and, thus, really bugging neighbours)? I will probably end up doing the ultimate option - moving from the building I am currently on, since lots of older people live underneath my pounding trainings  :animal: - but it would be nice to hear from you guys what did work and what didn't. Specially because I will have to deal with this again soon (and finding a new place ain't exactly a quick thing to do)  :P

And, yes, I will try to priorize the ground level when looking for a new place as well ;D

Cheers

Baby Samus

I had the same problem as I live on the second floor with people directly below - problem solved by adding 4 layers of off-cut carpet under the whole kit including rack feet, stands and pedals.  Have to raise my seat up to compensate but it has stopped the noise travelling through the floor.  It also cost me nothing, so its a cheap solution.

There are plenty of mods out there on the net with people using a drum riser with half tennis balls underneath to dampen vibration, and this apparently works very well too.  I just went with carpet because it was cheap and required no effort  ;)

indie-ota

Thanks, Baby Samus!
I'll try this then. Any tips on which carpet material? Or any will do?

fishmonkey

here is an alternative to the tennis ball riser (which usually uses whole tennis balls by the way):

http://www.neurotica.org/drum/kit-desc.htm