News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

At last! Four months of waiting is over!

Started by andhar, June 16, 2011, 08:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andhar

And i am having a blast! After only two hours i have nothing but a smile on my face.
Kind'a getting som dubbeltrigger from tha Basedrum - but i have not done any changes yet...
Will try my own pedal first...

Will check it out at rehersal on Sunday with my band for sure!!!

Yeahh!  :drum3:

GenuineHuman

I was getting doubletriggering from the kick drum at first as well, but then I figured it's because of my lousy foot technique and the ball was actually bouncing of the mesh. I'm now releasing the pedal (more) and don't get any doubletriggering anymore. But it wasn't really hard to adjust to me since I'm basically a beginner and every way I play is a new way. :)

Have fun!

andhar

Quote from: GenuineHuman on June 16, 2011, 08:45:45 PM
I was getting doubletriggering from the kick drum at first as well, but then I figured it's because of my lousy foot technique and the ball was actually bouncing of the mesh. I'm now releasing the pedal (more) and don't get any doubletriggering anymore. But it wasn't really hard to adjust to me since I'm basically a beginner and every way I play is a new way. :)

Have fun!

I guess i am in another "place"... :-) Been playing off and on for about 25 years... Last 6 quite intense with my old Roland TD12. My foot technique is what it is... But your right - when trying to release more it doesn't occur. But i really think this should not be an issue. I know maaany more that keep the ball to the skin after hitting it...

As i see it right now one of the problems is the way the base drum is mounted. if it had more stablity at the top - the drum would not vibrate/shake after hitting it. I think it should have "arms"/supports from the top/middle of the drum pointing forward to the ground (as fex Roland has) and it would be less of a problem...?

Evy

Very stupid question....How do you like it compared to the TD12 ;)

andhar

Quote from: Evy on June 17, 2011, 03:30:56 AM
Very stupid question....How do you like it compared to the TD12 ;)

Well, I really should try it out a bit more and with my band. Off course i should also learn how to use all controls and functionality in the "brain".
But out of the box - I feel very good. The only thing i have done is to assemble/connect everything, tightened the mesh and played for an hour or three.
For me the feeling in the toms are much better, more natural size and feel. It feels more natural to me anyhoo... Bear in mind that i have played Roland mesh for 5-6 years and does not
like analogue drums - I have sort of spoiled myself with very quick response from the skins... But if You like more analogue feeling i guess you should use regular skins - that is possible on these drums!
The bassdrum is the only thing i dont like at this early stage. It is nothing wrong with the pad - but how it is connected to the set. It is mounted at the bottom of the fram and becomes very "flappy" and gives me doubles some times. I really want to try my own Kick before i say anything else because the one in the set is not that good i think. The bassdrum should be a stand-alone solution as Roland has it...
Regarding the cymbals - the are much more natural than Roland - The only problem is that the bell is quite "small" and hard to hit clean. The Hi-hat stand is also mounted to the rack and is not very steady - but works for now. More natural feel compared to TD-12
The Sounds - There is much to love! A clear step-up from my TD-12. Much more natural sounds due to sampling tech...

I am at this stage very gald i switched - hoping that this feeling will last! The only "back-side" is that it seems to be more of a fragile solution than the bigger Roland sets (12 and 20).
I will be more careful with my new gear based on this feeling.

2-Box is a clear upgrade compared to TD-12 i think at this time!

GenuineHuman

I have just tested my kick pad in regard to double triggering when not releasing the beater and I have to say that if I use tight and firm kick it doesn't double trigger but when I womanize it, it bounces just enough to cause double triggering. I have a fancy Mk1 kick design with the 2 Box logo. Stock settings.

andhar

Quote from: GenuineHuman on June 17, 2011, 03:03:44 PM
I have just tested my kick pad in regard to double triggering when not releasing the beater and I have to say that if I use tight and firm kick it doesn't double trigger but when I womanize it, it bounces just enough to cause double triggering. I have a fancy Mk1 kick design with the 2 Box logo. Stock settings.

I agree. It does not trigger when using hard/firm style. The problem is that when i am out playing - i use a lot of different styles depending on a number of variables... My old Roland did not double trigger at all - at anytime - and this shouldn't either i think. I have tested fixing the drum obly by holding my stick at the top of the bassdrum and pressing the drum to a fixed position - and the double trigger stops..ยด

My wish right now is:
The bassdrum should be stand-alone - so i could place it however i want... I like to keep it near and this causes trouble right now getting my toms to close...
The bassdrum should have supports/legs pointing forward - mounted above the middle and offcourse it should have a steady floorsupport/stand.

puttenvr

andhar

Quote from: puttenvr on June 19, 2011, 07:28:42 AM

The Swiss distributor has a solution

Yes - One of the issues are solved on that picture (placing it). But i guess that bassdrum will "sway" when hit too.
A real Roland solution with a more firm frame with leg supports from upper half would be the best...

My singer in the band is a real "fixer". I will present the problem to him tonight at rehersals - Let's see if he got an idea?  :P

supermonster

Hi Andhar and welcome to the smiling family of 2Box owners! ;D
I have the same issue as you with the wobbling bassdrum pad. If your singer and fixer talent has a good solution I and I think others too will be glad to hear about it.
Beeing in Switzerland I will talk to the swiss distributor and see if he has an idea to make a new version of the stand alone kickdrum bracket to hold it firm.

GenuineHuman

Now I'm getting this double triggering, too. Really annoying. I think it should just be hardcoded to detect anything above say 400 BPM and eliminate double triggering this way.

EDIT: I untightened the mesh and everything seems back to normal again. I had increase the gain to compensate for volume loss thou

hwasser

Quote from: andhar on June 16, 2011, 08:35:08 PM
Kind'a getting som dubbeltrigger from tha Basedrum - but i have not done any changes yet...

Try untighting the drumskin or lower the beater and play with the basspedals settings :)