News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

A few kits I've built so far.

Started by Jman, June 06, 2011, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

Building dsnd's can become quite an obsession! None of the drums or cymbals in the WMA linked below are stock sounds from the Drumit Five module. Excuse the crappy performance ... I just fooled around with no real forethought ... :-[ but I wanted to share a few of the kits I've built so far.
1st kit is the BIG vistalite kit I put together this morning.
2. kit with DW toms
3. kit based on the Camco Oaklawn toms
4. Gretsch toms
5. Big sounding kit with GMS toms
6. NDK Bop kit
7. NDK Rock kit

I used various snares I've built dsnds from. HH's, crashes, rides none of em are stock ... there is a couple crashes that sound too loud, those are from the Roland module, I meant to stick to the 2Box crashes, but forgot on a couple hits ... I forgot to adjust the volume (too loud!) .... everything else is in the Drumit Five module.

Some of the dsnd's are HUGE .... I picked up the Sandisk Extreme (Cls 10) 32GB SDHC card and that really does the job .... spendy, but I recommend it ... my module boots to the 1st kit in 10 seconds with that card, 13 seconds with my other brands .... and I hear no clicking or popping or latency problems even with those giant dsnds .... 5 to 10 times the size of the stock dsnds on many of mine.

Here's the WMA:
http://weblogimages.com/dajmando/New%20kit%20sounds%20in%20D5.wma
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Manfred

Hi,

some of the sets sound pretty good! I wonder how you create so much sounds in a short time. If i export something from SD2.0 i need a lot of tries until i'm satisfied with the sound. And afterwards, if i listen with other headphones or speakers i start from the beginning  :D

Regards, Manfred

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Manfred on June 06, 2011, 05:24:08 PM

some of the sets sound pretty good! I wonder how you create so much sounds in a short time. If i export something from SD2.0 i need a lot of tries until i'm satisfied with the sound. And afterwards, if i listen with other headphones or speakers i start from the beginning  :D

Ha ha  ;D

Yes, why is it that the SD2 sounds are so dependent on what you listen to them through ?

I'm seriously thinking I better get some decent h/phones now, or I'm gonna have to mix everything all over again in
the future.....

Baby Samus

Quote from: Slap the drummer on June 06, 2011, 08:41:41 PM
Ha ha  ;D

Yes, why is it that the SD2 sounds are so dependent on what you listen to them through ?

Um, isn't the quality of every sound you play or hear dependant on the source and output device?  Monitoring headphones/speakers are essential to properly assess the quality of your sounds, the same as good PA speakers are important to hear a band properly.  I have Audio Technica ATH-M50 monitoring headphones, and they are definitely a big difference to the headphones I had before - same samples obviously from the 2Box, but the ATH-M50s make them sound much better.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50s-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B000ULAP4U

So yeah, if you have e-drums, they'll only sound as good as the speakers/headphones they are being played on, no matter how good quality the samples are...

Jman

Quote from: Manfred on June 06, 2011, 05:24:08 PM
Hi,

some of the sets sound pretty good! I wonder how you create so much sounds in a short time. If i export something from SD2.0 i need a lot of tries until i'm satisfied with the sound. And afterwards, if i listen with other headphones or speakers i start from the beginning  :D

Regards, Manfred
I have my reject pile myself ...  quite a few snares I built and didn't make the cut as well as some kicks ..... All my cymbals were rejects until a few days ago .... biggest difference for those was taking the Multi Hit WAVs and doing region extract with Sound Forge before building the dsnds otherwise the tails get cut abruptly with DSoundtool .... that goes for everything for me now ... I much prefer the reusults after splitting to individual hit WAVs. I use good headphones on both my drums and my mixing ... Despite how audio Gurus always push good monitors for mixing ... for me 2 important things ..... One .... the wife would skin me for the noise, so I pretty much am forced to use headphones. Two, I find with a good pair of headphones that don't color the sound you can hear very tiny details much better than with speakers.

Oh, and although the amount of weeks I've been working on these files is not many .... the amount of hours I put in so far .....  I've been putting a lot of hours into it ....  ;)

Cuban

Some great sounds there Jerry.  8)
The hi-hats on "2. kit with DW toms", what was the source, they sound lovely and crisp?

What sort of space usage are you getting, for example, the vistalite, how much of the stock memory would that take or would it take more than stock?

Jman

Quote from: Cuban on June 07, 2011, 09:40:26 PM
Some great sounds there Jerry.  8)
The hi-hats on "2. kit with DW toms", what was the source, they sound lovely and crisp?

What sort of space usage are you getting, for example, the vistalite, how much of the stock memory would that take or would it take more than stock?

I would definitely recommend going with a 32GB card. These kits end up waaaaay larger than stock MB wise.  I have kept all the stock sounds on the card and with the new drums I have so far (more than what is on that demo) .... I'm, over 60% full on a 32GB card. That HH is a Sabian HHX Stage 14 set I built from Sup Drumr Metal Foundry samples. It is about 900MB! ;D  I will probably start making some instruments using less hits as 99 hit dsnds are pretty large ... also the amount of effects you include on the files has a lot to do with it ... the Vistalite kit ... I used pretty much everything from the presets including mic bleeds ... turns out as a very large kit MB or GB wise .... but dryer kits take less. The Vistalite kit I built .... 2 of the 5 toms are toms that I built by raising the pitch, as there were only 3 toms in that Vistalite sample set... Some of the SD packs have more toms than others but most have 3 toms or 4 max ... a few, like some of the kits in Metal Foundry have lots of toms and a sh_t load of cymbals ...

Cuban

Quote from: Jman on June 07, 2011, 10:59:03 PM
I would definitely recommend going with a 32GB card.
So have you just replaced the internal card with the 32GB card, Any issues or concerns in doing so?

Quote from: Jman on June 07, 2011, 10:59:03 PM
These kits end up waaaaay larger than stock MB wise.  I have kept all the stock sounds on the card and with the new drums I have so far (more than what is on that demo) .... I'm, over 60% full on a 32GB card.
How many unique kits make up that 60% of the 32GB card?

Quote from: Jman on June 07, 2011, 10:59:03 PMThat HH is a Sabian HHX Stage 14 set I built from Sup Drumr Metal Foundry samples. It is about 900MB! ;D 
Wow, that is a size  :o

Quote from: Jman on June 07, 2011, 10:59:03 PMI will probably start making some instruments using less hits as 99 hit dsnds are pretty large ...
So the aforementioned Sabian HHX Stage, how many hits are in that dsnd?

Jman

Quote from: Cuban on June 07, 2011, 11:09:47 PM
So have you just replaced the internal card with the 32GB card, Any issues or concerns in doing so?
How many unique kits make up that 60% of the 32GB card?

Wow, that is a size  :o
So the aforementioned Sabian HHX Stage, how many hits are in that dsnd?

Yes, external 32GB card for me:

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,464.105.html
The reason I did mine that way without physically modifying the module was mainly to show how easily the card can be made accessible.... I can speak for myself only, but the best thing I did so far was to do that mod.... I have had absolutely no issues and still have the orig. 4GB card I could put in that slot right now and it would be just like the day I upped the anti... back to the stock 4GB sounds.
I would say if you have a brand new module and are afraid of voiding a warranty proceed at own risk. But with logical care in proceeding it is a simple mod.

The HH has 5 middle transitions plus closed, full open and foot splash ... and 99 hits on everything ....
As far as the 60% full 32GB card .... I have a huge no. of new instruments .... lots of new snares... 24 NDK snares alone. I have 6 new full kits from SD ... but also have dry and Wet versions of several of those. And NDK kits .... without counting I have at least a half dozen of those... So, there is a lot on that card... lots of choices.... and the beauty of the external card is I can put a different card in when it is full and start on the next kits ... I highly recommend the Sandisk Extreme 32GB class 10 SDHC card ... that card is FAST and no formatting is needed at all, just copy the files onto the card and go!

Manfred

Hi,

good to know that others also need several tries until they get good results. It is an obvious fact that different speaker/headphones lead to different sound because all of them haver their own sound. It is also a big difference whether i use the headphone output of the module directly or if i record it through my Cakewalk UA-101 and listen with the same headphones. Creating dsnd-files that sound good and also "feel good" while playing is not easy  :D

Anyway, i still love the possibility to create and load new sounds. Thats the biggest advantage of the 2Box in my opinion.

Regards, Manfred

nonoduweb

For my part, a sample sounds different (with the same headphones) on my computer or in the module.
To have a better idea to what a Sd2 sound is going to look like,I usually connect the computer to the brain line in, and modify equalization or add an effect before saving the samples.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: nonoduweb on June 09, 2011, 05:39:10 AM
For my part, a sample sounds different (with the same headphones) on my computer or in the module.
To have a better idea to what a Sd2 sound is going to look like,I usually connect the computer to the brain line in, and modify equalization or add an effect before saving the samples.

Ahhhh - I did think of trying that but I wasn't sure if it would make much difference.  And I'm lazy.
But I'm definitely going to give it a go now.
Thanks for the tip !   :)