News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Put Positional Sensing on your 2box module

Started by edcito, January 27, 2024, 10:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edcito

My edrumin was collecting dust so I had this idea and put positional sensing on the 2box using a roland PDX-100 pad with center cone, it works great, the edrumin sends a note for snare edge triggering like all the snares have in Superior Drummer 3, so when you hit off center you get this sound, You just have to export the snare edge sound as extra articulation in SDSE and assign it to a tom rim midi note.

JRage

Sounds too good to be true  :D  Does it work for module in midi mode (in DAW) or also as in standalone mode? It would be quite a revolution and a new life for otherwise long stagnant waters  ;D 

Can you share some more details: which 2box module do you use, how did you interconnected Roland pad and eDRUMin to 2BOX, what settings did you use in 2box module, etc. Didn't quite get about articulation assigning to tom rim - what is it necessary for.

Thanks for innovation and sharing good ideas  :)
Janis
Posted by some mistake.

edcito

This works with any 2Box module and any edrumin connected to the 2box via midi in, you need to connect your center trigger snare to the edrumin and set the positional sensing to note instead of cc data, then you take your edge samples and assign the edge sound to an unused articulation or midi note of the 2box.
Via midi in from any device you can trigger any sound you like as long as it sends/receives the same midi note. I haven't counted the amount of midi notes but that's the amount of sounds you can trigger via midi in.
You don't need a DAW  to do this, just a 2box module and an edrumin
So in short:

Export the snare edge samples in SDSE using the extra articulations set to "all" in the Zones tab.

Connect your center cone pad to the Edrumin, calibrate it and then connect its MIDI out to 2Box MIDI in using a midi cable.

Look for a midi note that you're not using like a tom's rim and set this note in the edrumin pos sense setting

Assign the edge sound to this midi note in the 2box

Enjoy

edcito

And if you use the toms rims already for other things you can use the midi note of the bell of the crashes if you're using 2 zone pads

edcito

I just put a video on the discord server showing this

JRage

Thanks a lot, edcito, you're a hero!  :D

I will watch also your videos.
Posted by some mistake.

JRage

Quote from: edcito on January 31, 2024, 02:20:40 PMThis works with any 2Box module and any edrumin connected to the 2box via midi in, you need to connect your center trigger snare to the edrumin and set the positional sensing to note instead of cc data, then you take your edge samples and assign the edge sound to an unused articulation or midi note of the 2box.
Via midi in from any device you can trigger any sound you like as long as it sends/receives the same midi note. I haven't counted the amount of midi notes but that's the amount of sounds you can trigger via midi in.
You don't need a DAW  to do this, just a 2box module and an edrumin
So in short:

Export the snare edge samples in SDSE using the extra articulations set to "all" in the Zones tab.

Connect your center cone pad to the Edrumin, calibrate it and then connect its MIDI out to 2Box MIDI in using a midi cable.

Look for a midi note that you're not using like a tom's rim and set this note in the edrumin pos sense setting

Assign the edge sound to this midi note in the 2box

Enjoy

Edcito, I'm currently looking for edrumin interface and can't decide between edrumin8 and 10 model. I would like to provide enough trigger ports for a standard DrumitFive set with possibility to expand later, so edrumin4 without USB Host port wouldn't suit me. On the other hand, the only extras for edrumin10 over 8 are 2 extra trigger inputs, 1 extra pedal input and midi in port. What model have you bought, btw? 

Do I understand it right, that for kick you can use any of those standard trigger inputs and don't need extra pedal input? Do you know if pedal input can be used to connect some 3rd party hihat to 2box module?

In what edrumin setup would midi-in port be necessary?

Sorry for so many questions, perhaps they are already answered in some forum, but I couldn't find answers in product's FAQ page.  :drum2:
Posted by some mistake.

edcito

I have the basic edrumin 4.
Quote from: JRage on February 07, 2024, 08:34:29 AMDo I understand it right, that for kick you can use any of those standard trigger inputs and don't need extra pedal input? Do you know if pedal input can be used to connect some 3rd party hihat to 2box module?
Yes you can use any input for whatever pad you want but for the pedal input you can just plug in a hihat controller, you can connect any 3rd party pedal yes but why don't you connect it directly to the 2box? it's easier to setup.

Quote from: JRage on February 07, 2024, 08:34:29 AMIn what edrumin setup would midi-in port be necessary?

In case you want to connect another module to the 2box to add more pads and change the notes independently.