News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

I finally tested it

Started by cabalestra, September 06, 2009, 07:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabalestra

Saturday I had the chance to spend quite a long time (almost two hours!) testing the drumitfive in Rotterdam (at feedback muziek). After the first half hour I was expecting to be kicked out, but luckily no one stopped me!  ;D  I will try and summarise my opinions below.

SOUNDS
In general, I agree with those who say that they are the best you can find in a drum module. Not all of them are fantastic, but the toms, cymbals and a couple of snare drums are really great. The dynamic range is amazing, particularly for the toms. Overall, it's for sure the model which more than others feels like playing a real drum.

RACK
First of all, I have to say that I was quite worried to test the hardware after having read all the not properly enthousiatic comments of a number of people. Well, it's not bad at all! The rack surely isn't as sturdy as a yamaha or a roland one, but it does its job quite well. I played as hard as possible on it and, even though the toms moved a little (as in the vids on their site), I haven't had any issue with it. Also the bass-drum was quite stable (I punched the pedal quite hard with the point of my foot).

CYMBALS
Even though they look quite basic, they also do their job well. Bell, bow and edge trigger just fine. The feel is not bad, surely not worse than a roland one (I prefer the yammie's, though).

MODULE
I didn't have the manual with me, so I haven't actually messed up with the settings. I was surprised by the speed with which it loads the different kits (actually less than a second!). It looks nice, compact and not overly complex.
I found a little disappointing the lack of side-stick sound (at least in the demo-kit). Expecially because immediatly after I tried the Yamaha DTXtreme III, where the 3rd trigger for the side-stick does its job perfectly.
I wonder if the next brain-software releases will sort this issues.

HI-HAT
The hhi-hat stand is actually as cheap as others have said. But it also does its job decently. It might be one of the things to change anyway. The trigger is indeed tricky: I surely would need some time to get accostumed to how it works (from closed, to half-open and open). It's the thing which hasn't fully convinced me. I am not 100% sure it was calibrated as it should, though.

In summary, it's a great kit, expecially for the price (less than € 2.000). I hope the possibility to load external samples will turn out to be effective and simple as well. I think that the issues I mentioned could be sorted out (particularly on the hi-hat I have seen that they are already busy).

If you have any question, shoot!

Ciao e a presto,

Carlo.

wbrs

Thank you, very helpful information. If this kit was kept in the studio it sounds like the stands stability wouldn't be an issue. Only time will tell how well it fairs for a busy live guy.

UC

great review carlo, think you summed it up perfectly

Scottie

Hi cabalestra

Nice write up. Just wondered did you try turning up the individual rim volume?

Thanks
Scott

rythm

Thanks for the review. It makes me more eager to test the drums myself  :)

cabalestra

Quote from: Scottie on September 07, 2009, 10:26:43 AM
Hi cabalestra

Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott. Actually, I did not know I could do it (and how). Does this mean that the side-stick issue can already be solved?

GravityRobert

If only I knew they -HAD- it there setup and ready to go. I drove 1,15 hours to Heerenveen only to find out the store had boxed up the kit because of 'production' issues. I mailed them like 2-3 days before going there to find out if its available to try out......  ;D

Maybe I'll make the trip to Rotterdam soon  :P

cabalestra

Quote from: GravityRobert on September 07, 2009, 09:19:47 PM
If only I knew they -HAD- it there setup and ready to go. I drove 1,15 hours to Heerenveen only to find out the store had boxed up the kit because of 'production' issues. I mailed them like 2-3 days before going there to find out if its available to try out......  ;D

That's a pity you went all the way to Heerenveen (I can imagine how you have felt when you got there)! It's quite worrying that the kit had production issues  :o: it seems that some of the first batch had issues (a couple of people who bought it complained about a cymbal and the hi-hat). Hopefully these will be sorted out with the second batch of kits.

NeilC

Quote from: cabalestra on September 07, 2009, 07:16:56 PM
Quote from: Scottie on September 07, 2009, 10:26:43 AM
Hi cabalestra

Thanks
Scott

Hi Scott. Actually, I did not know I could do it (and how). Does this mean that the side-stick issue can already be solved?

I think you press More + Snare (or whichever tom you want to up the rim volume) and then you can edit the parameters for the rim.

GravityRobert

Quote from: cabalestra on September 08, 2009, 07:51:53 AM
Quote from: GravityRobert on September 07, 2009, 09:19:47 PM

That's a pity you went all the way to Heerenveen (I can imagine how you have felt when you got there)! It's quite worrying that the kit had production issues  :o: it seems that some of the first batch had issues (a couple of people who bought it complained about a cymbal and the hi-hat). Hopefully these will be sorted out with the second batch of kits.

When I talked to the guy who was responsible and explained why they had it boxed up I could pretty much teleprompt what he was gonna say, my guess... they got one of the early kits. I assume these problems can be taken care of in this next version of the kit..

I'm sort of contemplating buying a cheaper kit with a Alesis trigger i/o instead........... stuff's taking long  >:(