News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Questions about the pads!

Started by hwasser, September 08, 2009, 09:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwasser

Hello, as I mention in another thread im really looking forward into purching this kit, but i have two other questions:

1. On the 2box site they mention you can choose pad-size between 8-14, is this when buying additional pads or does it mean when you buy the kit? (I live in sweden, stockholm)

2. Will the triggering be affected when you switch to REMO-drumskin? Anyone tried?

UC

Hi Hwasser

1) The standard kit comes with 3 pads (toms), 2 cymbals + hi-hat, snare pad, and kick pad - so yes, the choice is when you buy additional pads.

The brain has room for 1 more cymbal and 1 more tom (or whatever you want to assign to the inputs eg percussion sounds / fx).

These extra parts should be available once the next batch of kits go out (Oct / Nov) to buy seperately.

2) ...One of the earliest youtube clips (Namm 2008 I think) shows the drumit with a mixture of mesh, rubber, and regular drum heads.

At a guess (admit I haven't tried or seen it first-hand) those pads are going to end up sounding a bit like roto toms if you put a regular head on it, but the word from 2box is that that the pads should trigger perfectly whatever head you use.

While I'm a mesh head head fan (been playing real heads on my DDrum 4 for nearly 10 years and looking forward to the change), I've heard from Gary at Hand in Hand that the rubber pads will allow you to 'dig in' more like on a real skin, but without the loudness, so you might want to consider them.

Hope this helps.

hwasser

The thing is loudness isnt a problem! Gonna use them in my studio.

Hm, which size will the pads have in the shop?

Musikbörsen doesnt say anything about the pad-size:
http://www.musikborsen.se/itempg.aspx?id=29231&artno=225680

UC

Scott from Hand in Hand would be able to give an idea in GBP (which you will give you an idea of Euros / Krona) - but I'm not sure the pricing and size availability has been 'set in stone' yet.

westerlu77

The two times I have played 2 Box I asked them to put on orginal drumheads and it get much louder of course and the feel is almost like a rototom as someone before describe it. I think it can has a purpose especially for live gigs when you want to hear yourself a little bit more "acoustic". I don't think you had better feel with orginal heads than mesh heads, I really appreciate the meshheadsfeel on the snare when doing ghost.

HM

I'm absolutely sure that the feel will be more real with ordinary drumheads. Playing the mesh heads feels like playing a trampoline. I think very bouncy drumheads will make my technique lazy.

westerlu77

HM! Have you tried with ordinary heads? My opinion is that it didn't feel as a drum with drumhead in any case. You don't have the resonans from the drum, I had some strange rebounce wich I didn't like.

HM

westerlu77, I haven't received the DrumIt Five yet, so what I said about bouncy mesh heads was mainly based on Roland V-drums. I haven't played any e-drums with ordinary heads but I suppose they should be less bouncy than mesh heads. Anyway, I believe you if you say they don't feel real.

westerlu77

Don't have too high expectations about ordinary heads, take it for what it is I think. It's not bad, it just that I prefered mesh before ordinary heads when I was in the musicstore.