News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Import 3:parts sound library

Started by westerlu77, September 06, 2009, 10:19:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westerlu77

Alesis DM-10 has declared that they will be the first E-kit to import sounds into the module via usb and play then without any computer connected. What I have understood so is the format lose less for 2Box, can that be a problem for 2box if that's not compatible with let say BFD or Superior? I really hope that this future will be here soon for all brands of E-kits!

Scottie

Quote from: westerlu77 on September 06, 2009, 10:19:52 AM
Alesis DM-10 has declared that they will be the first E-kit to import sounds into the module via usb and play then without any computer connected. What I have understood so is the format lose less for 2Box, can that be a problem for 2box if that's not compatible with let say BFD or Superior? I really hope that this future will be here soon for all brands of E-kits!

Hi westerlu77

I think there is a bit of a grey area when it comes to importing sounds on the DM-10. From my understanding you can't load your own samples on to the module, you have to purchase new sounds from Alesis or third parties? I think this is because they have their own proprietary format? Don't hold me to this though, maybe HellFire could shed some more light on this matter?

Oh and don't worry about DrumIt Five and compatibility with other drum programs  ;)

Thanks
Scott

NeilC

oh and I managed to get BFD and Superior working this weekend with the Drumit. There's a bit of tweaking, but it works fine!

UC

Nice one Neil... Are you able to export and share a generic map (or plugin-specific maps) that we could add as a sticky? Happy to host the file if webspace is an issue.
cheers
Tom

NeilC

I will try and get that for you, not saved as a map, but should be fine... give me a day or so!

westerlu77

I guess you will explain what you mean with tweaking and how much we can speculate the editor will do this easier. Will the editor plays on both mac and pc? Say that you play a gig and you want like 5 different kits from superior or so, how much will that be in gb?

cabalestra

Quote from: NeilC on September 07, 2009, 09:46:38 AM
oh and I managed to get BFD and Superior working this weekend with the Drumit. There's a bit of tweaking, but it works fine!

This is actually big news! Can you post a couple of demo's to get a feel of how it might sound like?

Hellfire

Quote from: Scottie on September 07, 2009, 09:42:24 AM
Quote from: westerlu77 on September 06, 2009, 10:19:52 AM

Hi westerlu77

I think there is a bit of a grey area when it comes to importing sounds on the DM-10. From my understanding you can't load your own samples on to the module, you have to purchase new sounds from Alesis or third parties? I think this is because they have their own proprietary format? Don't hold me to this though, maybe HellFire could shed some more light on this matter?

Oh and don't worry about DrumIt Five and compatibility with other drum programs  ;)

Thanks
Scott
You hit the nail on the head Scott. Actually, if you listen to my last pod-cast, Jim Norman (product manager for Alesis) explains why this is. Here's a link: Podcast 8/20/2009 Episode!

Quote from: NeilC on September 07, 2009, 09:46:38 AM
Do you mean you were able to load BFD and Superior samples on to the Drumit? Or do you mean you got your Drumit to interface with your computer within those programs?

wbrs

I thought he was saying he loaded the module since it was more in line with the topic of the thred but now I think it's he's got it working with bfd and superior in his computer.

westerlu77

What I mean in this thread was that I am intrested to import sounds into the module so that I not need any computer for playing these kits. Just to make this clear.

NeilC

Quote from: wbrs on September 08, 2009, 12:19:28 AM
I thought he was saying he loaded the module since it was more in line with the topic of the thred but now I think it's he's got it working with bfd and superior in his computer.

Sorry, didn't realise for importing into the unit!

Has any actually tried this yet? by moving the BFD sound files into the unit via USB? I could try and give it a whirl?

westerlu77

I guess no one knows but it will require an update before you can import sounds from superior to 2box module? What format does toontrack use? It would be so nice to have a black beauty snare and a Ludwig set and it next second change to a r&b kit without have to use a computer.

Peter W

I don't see how you could ever import existing sample libraries to the 2 box,because they have all separate room mics,directs,and overheads. I would think that they would have to make them for the 2box.

Alesis only has 120mb of storage as far as I know. I can't imagine how any library could be impressive sounding with that much memory.

I would like to see the 2 box solve every complaint: Loud kick pad,hi hat not great,toms moving too much,and new sounds with adjustable reverb,and EQ
. Then it would definitely replace the Roland TD20. I don't think they need to worry about the hi hat stand,kick pedal or snare stand. Every pro drummer will have them already,and Roland doesn't include them.

Peter

wbrs

Any commercialy available samples compatible with drumit 5? Someone that knows could start a list.

wbrs

It might come with enough that sound good to me, at least till 2box or someone else makes more availible. Won't know until I can test drive it. Who knows when it will be in the stores here in the states. Good thing I'm not in a rush. I just can't bring myself to go another route until I get a chance to check these pumpkin pads out. 2box where it's Halloween all year looooong.