News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat 'Foot Chick' triggers top hit

Started by ezzviah, May 19, 2011, 07:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynec42

I recently consulted with 2box about this very issue. After a number of emails in which I sent photos, videos and audio files, I was told that the hihat was working as expected. They said that part of the bow sound is in the foot chick sound.

I find this hard to believe. At one point in one of the many emails, I found myself having to explain to 2box how the 2box cymbals work in terms of the zones.

So, in saying that, there was possibly something lost in translation.

I was also experiencing the problem of the bow triggering when playing the foot chick, but the bow sound was not heard at exactly the same time. This was extremely annoying as you can probably imagine. It was like hearing random hits out of time with my playing. I was also getting triggering of the bow if I wiggled my foot on the pedal whilst playing normally, which slightly moved the hihat cymbal side to side, but still keeping the hats closed (If that makes sense).

Changing the sensitivity so this didn’t happen would also make the hihat unplayable. The hihat needs to be sensitive as it’s one of the key instruments of the kit.

I have removed the PCB from the hihat and managed to simulate the foot chick operation. As expected, the only sound triggered was zone 9, the foot chick sound.

In my opinion, the solution of a different stand should be unnecessary. It should be designed to work properly with the hardware provided. Ah well, maybe next model.

The ‘2box team’ did say that the hihat is something they know they need to work on.

All in all I felt the ‘2box team’ were genuinely trying to assist me with the issue at hand, although the outcome for me wasn’t resolved.

I have found though that using the screw on the underside of the hihat to tilt the hihat pad seems to reduce the problem. I now have it tilted to the maximum.

Haggis-man

If your using the hi hat stand that comes with the kit I would recommend you upgrade it to a more professional model.The spring in the 2box stand is far to weak and is the cause of many triggering issues. As soon as I upgraded mine to a Gibraltar model my triggering issues disappeared and the hats became a lot more playable.

To be fare to 2box the supplied kick pedal and hi hat stand are only there to get you up and running. Most other manufacturers don't even supply these items so its a bonus to get them in the first place.