News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box for hard hitters?

Started by mpampis, May 17, 2011, 09:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpampis

another question from a confused drummer... are the 2box for hard hitters or it will break apart? will the pads survive after some heavy songs?

MisterE

Quote from: mpampis on May 17, 2011, 09:16:14 PM
another question from a confused drummer... are the 2box for hard hitters or it will break apart? will the pads survive after some heavy songs?

Can't speak out of experience (waiting for my 2box). There are now a couple of threads here about loose wires of the piezo. You should be able to find it.
But keep in mind that there always will be persons with problems. And it fairly quiet of real problems. MK2 seems much more improved, and i'm suspect every batch they become better. In case of problems there is good support of 2box. Using the 2box at live gigs is still debatable.
Just my 2 cents.

Baby Samus

Quote from: MisterE on May 17, 2011, 10:39:14 PM
Can't speak out of experience (waiting for my 2box). There are now a couple of threads here about loose wires of the piezo. You should be able to find it.
But keep in mind that there always will be persons with problems. And it fairly quiet of real problems. MK2 seems much more improved, and i'm suspect every batch they become better. In case of problems there is good support of 2box. Using the 2box at live gigs is still debatable.
Just my 2 cents.

I am not a really hard hitter, more varied depending on the music, but I have used my MKI 2Box live many times for rock stuff, it has travelled far and in the 18 months or so of owning it, I have had very few issues.  Bass drum sensor failed after a very long trip away and many gigs, but that was the MKI bass drum.  The distributor picked up the drum, converted it to MKII version and it has been perfect ever since.  Another issue I had was the snare pad rim rubber degraded after a year, and I had to replace the rim.  Again the distributor sent me spares free of charge.  The pads and module are very strong, and the new MKII rack is far stronger than the MKI version I have.

Yes, the wiring on some pads has come loose, and I do think they could impove that (I have mentioned it several times on the forum, because it annoys me - such a small detail that could make a large difference to failure rates) by improving the jack housing so the wiring isn't so exposed when opening the pad to change heads.  The soldered wires need to have a stronger connection to their jacks.  This can be improved if you aren't afraid of a soldering iron of course!

The cymbal triggering is good all round but the bell is not quite as responsive as the rest of the cymbal surface - its not too bad really and I don't notice it any more - we hope its fixed in a future software update.

All in all the newer MKII kit is far sturdier than the first as regards the rack and better snare stand and MKII bass drum, and the software continues to evolve and improve.

At the end of the day, I had Roland before the 2Box, and I would not go back.  Because aside from the small issues I listed above, this kit is a blast to play.  The 2Box is, to be blunt, simply a more expressive instrument than Roland TD-9 or TD-12 imo.  Remember, you are talking 24-bit sample quality, with enough layers to make your drums sound far more real and convincing and round robin to eliminate machine gunning (another awful Roland trait).  When you hear a TD-9 or TD-12, you can tell its an electronic kit.  When you hear the 2Box in a mix with good samples, it is very difficult to tell.

So, 2Box has better sounds, and feels more 'human' and natural than v-drums.  You can also increase SD capacity up to 32GB, which is tons.  The module is simple and has far less effects and tricks than Roland modules do, but it does quality drum sounds far better.  And of course its only as good as the samples you use.  In short its a great instrument with a great feel and a reasonable price.  In its price bracket the 2Box is still king imo.

rythm

mpampis

ok, baby samus this was exactly what I wanted to hear... You know, I am in love with the 2box because of the size and the sounds, but without the ability to try them (I am from Athens, Greece and here we don't have any music stores that let you play the drums, except 2 "known stores" that don't bring the 2box, at least not anymore) it is hard for me to decide between the "walked" (rolland, yammy) as we say in greece and the "unknown"... I am a TD-3 owner and what's sure is that  roland is what I call indestructible... even the most cruel hitters couldn't hurt it... but the sounds... disgusting. Anyway, is there any video or tutorial for soldering the wires?

BURNIN AMBITION

Quote from: rythm on May 18, 2011, 06:50:31 AM
+ 1 for Baby Samus note
+1000

Quote from: mpampis on May 18, 2011, 02:22:24 PM
ok, baby samus this was exactly what I wanted to hear... You know, I am in love with the 2box because of the size and the sounds, but without the ability to try them (I am from Athens, Greece and here we don't have any music stores that let you play the drums, except 2 "known stores" that don't bring the 2box, at least not anymore) it is hard for me to decide between the "walked" (rolland, yammy) as we say in greece and the "unknown"... I am a TD-3 owner and what's sure is that  roland is what I call indestructible... even the most cruel hitters couldn't hurt it... but the sounds... disgusting. Anyway, is there any video or tutorial for soldering the wires?
another greek guy. awesome
about the wire soldering that would be awesome to know
also when you solder new wires what wires should you use? is there a specific type we must use?
i dont really need to do this yet as i have no probs but perhaps someone else might ned to knwo in the future. it would be good to have these issues solved
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

GenuineHuman

I guess I'm a hard hitter. About 16 days or so into drumming I already cracked my hi hat rubber at the edge. No idea what I'm doing with that thing. :) I'm not really concerned. Replacement rubber probably costs about as much as the beer, if I can get it. Looks like I'll go through a few each year. :)

I play open-handed and I do hit hi hat pretty strong.

roel

Quote from: Baby Samus on May 17, 2011, 11:59:16 PM
I am not a really hard hitter, more varied depending on the music, but I have used my MKI 2Box live many times for rock stuff, it has travelled far and in the 18 months or so of owning it, I have had very few issues.  Bass drum sensor failed after a very long trip away and many gigs, but that was the MKI bass drum.  The distributor picked up the drum, converted it to MKII version and it has been perfect ever since.  Another issue I had was the snare pad rim rubber degraded after a year, and I had to replace the rim.  Again the distributor sent me spares free of charge.  The pads and module are very strong, and the new MKII rack is far stronger than the MKI version I have.

Yes, the wiring on some pads has come loose, and I do think they could impove that (I have mentioned it several times on the forum, because it annoys me - such a small detail that could make a large difference to failure rates) by improving the jack housing so the wiring isn't so exposed when opening the pad to change heads.  The soldered wires need to have a stronger connection to their jacks.  This can be improved if you aren't afraid of a soldering iron of course!

The cymbal triggering is good all round but the bell is not quite as responsive as the rest of the cymbal surface - its not too bad really and I don't notice it any more - we hope its fixed in a future software update.

All in all the newer MKII kit is far sturdier than the first as regards the rack and better snare stand and MKII bass drum, and the software continues to evolve and improve.

At the end of the day, I had Roland before the 2Box, and I would not go back.  Because aside from the small issues I listed above, this kit is a blast to play.  The 2Box is, to be blunt, simply a more expressive instrument than Roland TD-9 or TD-12 imo.  Remember, you are talking 24-bit sample quality, with enough layers to make your drums sound far more real and convincing and round robin to eliminate machine gunning (another awful Roland trait).  When you hear a TD-9 or TD-12, you can tell its an electronic kit.  When you hear the 2Box in a mix with good samples, it is very difficult to tell.

So, 2Box has better sounds, and feels more 'human' and natural than v-drums.  You can also increase SD capacity up to 32GB, which is tons.  The module is simple and has far less effects and tricks than Roland modules do, but it does quality drum sounds far better.  And of course its only as good as the samples you use.  In short its a great instrument with a great feel and a reasonable price.  In its price bracket the 2Box is still king imo.

In my opinion the 2box MK2 set is fine but the ride is the weakest point,playing with low velocity then it triggers weird, also the bell triggering is weird sometimes.

puttenvr

But has nothing to do with hard hitting ...

roel

Quote from: puttenvr on June 26, 2011, 12:43:16 PM
But has nothing to do with hard hitting ...

That's true, but why do we need to hit the pads hard?its not your mother in law :D

puttenvr

Correct. With the years go by, you learn that good playing and a good sound, spreading your efforts, is more important than just hitting hard.
Also surprized that many drummers in loud bands don't play THAT loud at all.
Keen people

ChrisP9

On the MK1 kit, the toms have 3 plastic polycarbonate lugs connecting the o-rings to the metal rim.
On my kit, at least 1 has broken on each rim causing the rim to disconnect from the tom.
I am not a hard hitter and transport the kit to gigs in a very secure supported case.

The distributors say they have never come across this with, which I completely believe as they are spot on and have helped me out in the past.  Just curious If anyone elsewhere has ever heard of or experienced this?

orly

I don't know if I am a hard hitter but I noticed today that my hihat rubber pad have some craks on the edge  :(

GenuineHuman

I have that too ... what I did to fix it, I turned hi hat around so I can't see it. :)

orly