News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

V-Cymbals

Started by waynec42, March 18, 2012, 08:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waynec42

Does anyone know if the Roland v-cymbals work 2box?
I'd like to give the silver looking ones a go.
They are the CY-15 and CY-14

ROB219

They do... sort of.... they're a tad too hot I found for the 2Box.

Oh, but steer well clear of the silver ones... they go yellow and look horrible after a few months of playing. Its a well known problem with them. They even go yellow in the stores that display them.....

The blacks ones do the exact same job and are a LOT cheaper to buy... and even they are still expensive.

I sold all mine off and got Yamaha items. Tons cheaper and work really well.

waynec42

Quote from: ROB219 on March 18, 2012, 10:02:02 PM
They do... sort of.... they're a tad too hot I found for the 2Box.

Oh, but steer well clear of the silver ones... they go yellow and look horrible after a few months of playing. Its a well known problem with them. They even go yellow in the stores that display them.....

The blacks ones do the exact same job and are a LOT cheaper to buy... and even they are still expensive.

I sold all mine off and got Yamaha items. Tons cheaper and work really well.

Do the Yamaha cymbals work better than the 2box? I assume they're 3 zoned, the same as the 2box.

ROB219

Nothing works better than 2Box cymbals on a 2Box module. The bell response is not so great because of the way the Yamaha are constructed. You need a good solid bell area to get the right response. Neither Roland or Yamaha provide that. The 2Box bell area is just a big solid piece of molded rubber, because the metal "cymbal" underneath has no indented bell like an acoustic cymbal does. Its just flat.

I say nothing works better... but they are not the most durable design I have ever seen. Heaps of member are wearing through the edge parts due to the sharp inner metal edge. I put mine back in boxes and retired them early so if I ever do have a Yamaha cymbal fail.. I immediately have a backup to go to.

I only use them for crashes where I don't use the bells anyway... so its no big deal for me. If I mucked around a lot more with settings I could get the bell area nice and sensitive, but the cymbal would be far too hot in other areas to play properly.

waynec42

Quote from: ROB219 on March 19, 2012, 07:44:17 AM
Nothing works better than 2Box cymbals on a 2Box module. The bell response is not so great because of the way the Yamaha are constructed. You need a good solid bell area to get the right response. Neither Roland or Yamaha provide that. The 2Box bell area is just a big solid piece of molded rubber, because the metal "cymbal" underneath has no indented bell like an acoustic cymbal does. Its just flat.

I say nothing works better... but they are not the most durable design I have ever seen. Heaps of member are wearing through the edge parts due to the sharp inner metal edge. I put mine back in boxes and retired them early so if I ever do have a Yamaha cymbal fail.. I immediately have a backup to go to.

I only use them for crashes where I don't use the bells anyway... so its no big deal for me. If I mucked around a lot more with settings I could get the bell area nice and sensitive, but the cymbal would be far too hot in other areas to play properly.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know.

The reason I'm asking about this, is because I'm have trouble with the cymbals (1 in particular) being inconsistent. It's one I use as a crash that will give a full velocity crash sound when hit lightly on the bow and other times with the same velocity hit, give me nothing. I find they're all the same but this one is worse than the others.

Regarding the edge damage, I had one that split the 2nd day I had the kit. It was replaced under warranty, but I was also told it was my fault and not 2box.

The replacement rubber I received had a thicker edge. I also purchased and additional cymbal for the kit and it too has a thicker rubber edge than the original ones that came with the kit.

2box are in denial about this I believe.

Anyhow, I'm off on a tangent here, so thanks again for the info about the other branded cymbals.

Rider

i have no personal experience as i dont have any gear from 2box yet, but from what ive researched the best options are A to e diy cymbals , and yamahas ( dunno if they work 2 zone + choke out of the box tho )

twisted.mellow

Every cymbal I use apart from 2 Kit Toy splashes and a Kit Toy china are Rolands. Give me a little while and I'll dig out the settings for them and post them. The work really well for me!

twisted.mellow

In fact, here they are: (Roland CY-12R/C)

Type: Cym14
Xtalk: Med (clearly this doesn't change anything trigger wise)
Gain: 0 L (with a funny cymbal in between)
Threshold: -36
Curve: Neg1

This is using the edge trigger port on the cymbal, not the bell.

The CY-15R Ride: (using the bell trigger input)

Type: CyCup
Crosstalk: High
Gain: 0
Curve: Pos1

Slap the drummer

Hi Wayne -
for accurate triggering, a Stealth conversion kit is well worth considering.
Very, very easy to do and very cost effective.  For me they felt like a revelation after the
stock cymbals.

They actually sound better too!

I don't know how this is possible, but the cymbal sounds are cleaner and sharper -
suddenly I could hear where I'd been sloppy making .dsnd files and chopped off the
decays.  And the differences between different samples (both different cymbals
and between the different velocities of a single cymbal) are suddenly much more
obvious.

Crazy!

tower of p

Quote from: twisted.mellow on March 20, 2012, 12:15:43 AM

The CY-15R Ride: (using the bell trigger input)

Type: CyCup
Crosstalk: High
Gain: 0
Curve: Pos1

Hey dude,

I´m wondering if you use the cy-15R as a ride? And do you get both bow- and bell-sounds using the bell-trigger input? Or  even bell-, bow and rim-sounds?

Thanks and cheers,

Lutz

PumaPhreak

Are Kit Toys still available? I've been out of the game for some time and last I heard they had stopped making products. It'd be great if they were available.
Thanks!

hwasser

The cheep thomann-cymbals (millenium) works really good for the 2box, workes much much better than the yamaha cymbals. Both zones and choke works perfect, but I only use 1-zone anyway (addictive drums crashes only have one zone). They arent as soft and guey as the yamaha or roland ones.