News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box "rim gain"?

Started by edcito, May 04, 2011, 08:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edcito

Hi all,
I finally got my 2box module and I'm in the process of setting everything up with my roland mesh pads. One thing I notice straight away is that hard head hits on all my pads trigger ring shots. I checked the midi notes and it sends a different note depending on how hard I hit. In the roland modules there is a setting called "Rim gain" to reduce the likeliness of the above behavior. Does anybody know if there is something similar I can do on the 2box to reduce this?

Cymbals work great out of the box with no tweaking needed. Chokes work like a charm. Ride bell needs some whacking but that's no different than the roland one, so I'm used to it ::)

Checking all the kits now...
Excited :rock:

nonoduweb

Hello

you have to reduce the rim thresold.

For the snare, for ex.: go to the menu kit-trigger, press the buttons more+snare (channel buttons), reduce the rim thresold value. You can reduce too the gain.

edcito

Thanks nonoduweb! I've set the rim gain to 0 DB and the threshold to -48DB. I still get rim shots but only if I hit really hard, which I wont do in a normal situation.

I'll play more with the settings, maybe tweaking the head part helps as well.

Cheers
E

nonoduweb

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough: if you increase the rim thresold, you will reduce crosstalk between the rim and the pad.

-48 is the lowest thresold value. Try to put a higher value for the thresold (ex -20), and keep a normal gain value for the rim (ex 7). :)

edcito

QuoteSorry, I wasn't clear enough: if you increase the rim thresold, you will reduce crosstalk between the rim and the pad.

Crosstalk is not exactly the problem here, since crosstalk refers to hitting one pad and getting sounds from other pad.

I've downloaded the 1.2 beta and try it out again with the gain and threshold.

Jman

Quote from: edcito on May 04, 2011, 11:19:44 PM
Crosstalk is not exactly the problem here, since crosstalk refers to hitting one pad and getting sounds from other pad.

I've downloaded the 1.2 beta and try it out again with the gain and threshold.

That's right ... your definition of crosstalk is accurate .... but nonoduweb has applied the higher crosstalk setting to the rim (I'm guessing the rim? at least that is where I needed to use it) and found that it helps between head and rim on the same pad .... I have done the same and found the same .... not talking from "definitions" of parameters .... just talking out of hands on experience....
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edcito

right, I didn't see his post talking about "crosstalk" reduces this issue. I tried the 1.2 beta but still the same with my roland pads: rims just don't trigger right.....

I guess there's no other way than going orange all the way... ;D

edtc

author=edcito

[/quote]

If you plan to use diferent sounds on head and rim , or use a splitter to plug 2 pads ,then it is crosstalk ...

edcito

Quote from: edtc on May 05, 2011, 01:36:14 AM
author=edcito

If you plan to use diferent sounds on head and rim , or use a splitter to plug 2 pads ,then it is crosstalk ...

Well, as Jman mentioned, they are just definitions, just as in roland the rim is for 2box the "ring"

nonoduweb

Hi edcito or Jman
sorry if I take a little of your time  to explain to me, because it's the morning here, I don't sleep a lot because of a little girl who doesn't still want to make her complete nights, and I have too to translate English to French.  :P
If I understand well, when you hit hard on the mesh head of your pad, the rim (or ring) is triggering too? If that's right, why can't we talk here about crosstalk between rim and pad, on the same pad?

edcito

Quote from: nonoduweb on May 05, 2011, 06:10:41 AM
Hi edcito or Jman
sorry if I take a little of your time  to explain to me, because it's the morning here, I don't sleep a lot because of a little girl who doesn't still want to make her complete nights, and I have too to translate English to French.  :P
If I understand well, when you hit hard on the mesh head of your pad, the rim (or ring) is triggering too? If that's right, why can't we talk here about crosstalk between rim and pad, on the same pad?

Bonjour nonoduweb!
Don't worry, me too, I have to translate into spanish ::)
the problem I'm experiencing is when I hit hard the head of my roland pads it produces the sound of the instrument assigned to the rim, not double triggering.
Merci, I will sell my roland and get a full 2box then :)

Jman

Hi nonoduweb ..... I agree with you that on the Drumit 5 module with 1.2 Beta OS ... I have used and am using the Crosstalk setting on the snare rim... It does help with control of rimshots sounding on the head. The main reason for the Crosstalk feature is to control Crosstalk between 2 different pads, that is true for other modules as well .... but I have discovered like you this setting does help on the same pad with the 2Box module.

I have not tried a Roland mesh pad on 2Box .... but from what Edcito says as well as some others that have tested they seem to say ... those don't respond well... regardless how much trigger parameter tweaking is done.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

nonoduweb

Thanks for your replies.`

Ola edcito: to avoid this effect, just play on the thresold parameter of the rim.
Yes, the OS1.2m introduces the Xtrig parameter, very interesting in this case.

BURNIN AMBITION

ok i noticed that i had serious problems with rim gain. if i hit with normal force, in tom 3 and tom 1 only rim was triggered. so i put rim xtrig to max and problem solved. i did max xtrig to all cymbals hi hat and tom and problems solved
2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11