Equalizing DSOUNDS directly in SOUND FORGE 9.0 ( and maybe other editors...)

Started by edtc, April 21, 2011, 01:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edtc

Hi

This week i noticed something quite cool : You can make some editing like EQ or changing volume  in SOUND FORGE 9.0 and save them back directly as DSOUNDS.

In certain conditions , you dont even need to use Dsound tool ... all is done in soundforge  , all the layers are in the same file on the screen , you can scroll in the whole DSOUND into the same window ... 
:rock:

CASE ONE:

In fact ,as long as you dont modify lenght by pitch fro example or the sample layer's strucure , if you press save , the new dsound version will be saved in place of the old one ...
But if you do this , the best thing is to make a copy before , rename it , and use it for te editing ..; like this you dont loose the original one .

You have to do this also because SOUND FORGE 9.0 cant save the file as *.DSOUND ... if you use "save as" , you just can save it in *.wav . But if you just chose "save" , the file will be saved back as a dsound !!!

CASE TWO:

In case you need to modify the duration or the structure of the Dsound , like by pitching , streching , adding or removing layers , you can still do it , but you ll need to save the new dsound in *.wav ,  reopen it with DSOUNDTOOL and then save it as a DSOUND ...

I only tried the trick on simple perc and kick sounds ,  in  case you change the duration like in case 2 , I dont think it will works for sounds with 2 or 3 zones , because when you save them in *.wav , you ll  loose the zone and velocity sample's assignation ...
  But i guess that if you just splitt the DSOUND in 2 samples (head samples & rim samples for a snare sound ) it would be easy to rebuild it in  dsoundtool as a 2 zone sound ...

If you use the case 1 , it should work for 2 and 3 zones Dsounds

Before this , i was thinking that for editing a dsound , you had to split it with in dsoundtool , then edit each slices one by one in an audio editor , save them one by one in *.wav , and finally reimport them all in dsoundtool and so on .... pffff...

This happens to be really faster ...

PS : Thanx to "nonodelatoile" , i tried this after i read his post on listening to  Dsounds using VLC mediaplayer ...

have a nice day folks ...

nonoduweb

You're welcome.

.dsnd files have the same header as .wav files, I suppose that's why programs like vlc can read them, or why you can save them directly with soundforge.