News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 1.1 released

Started by Louis, April 16, 2011, 10:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Finally I had some time and completed the new release of DSoundTool 1.10. As always, this is goodware: after an evaluation period you obtain the rights to use the tool by making a donation of your own choice to MSF or World Wildlife Fund.

An overview of the news:

• Added feature to play short demos of loaded sounds to get a better feel for the sound.
  • Added possibility to eliminate leading silence in drum samples.
  • By clicking on the name of the zone of a loaded sound, detailed information about the samples of that zone is shown.
  • Various bug fixes, e.g. when splitting a sound, the velocity map was not correctly generated.
  • Nicer user interface.

See http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/index.html for details.

/Louis

Slap the drummer

Fantastic, thanks Louis.
Have 2box had the wisdom to offer you a consultancy role yet?

I hope I've said this before but I'm going to say it again - without your Dsoundtool I would never
have been as happy with my 2box as I am.
So many, many thanks.

Cheers

edtc

Quote from: Slap the drummer on April 17, 2011, 08:48:05 PM
Fantastic, thanks Louis.

I hope I've said this before but I'm going to say it again - without your Dsoundtool I would never
So many, many thanks.

Cheers

I totally agree ...

Louis

Thank you for those kind words  :D

Baby Samus

Quote from: Slap the drummer on April 17, 2011, 08:48:05 PM
Fantastic, thanks Louis.

So many, many thanks.

Cheers

+1.  I think everyone here feels the same!  In fact, why is Louis karma so low?  Send that Karma now!

Jman

Another 2 thumbs up from me. I just started using DSoundTool, but I've put some major mileage on it in a short time ... I guess about 2.5gb's of dsnd files created from samples already .... and DSoundTool is very straight forward and almost idiot proof  ;D .... Thanks .... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edcito

I have a couple of questions for Louis:

I want to convert some .wav files from BFD Eco which are in wav format already but when I try to generate the .dnsd I get the following error: "The file <filename>.wav has unsupported format: must be 44.1 Khz, mono or stereo, 16 or 24 bits"

I open the same file using Adobe audition to see the file properties and it shows:
* 44100 Hz, 16 bit, 7 channel.

Also I can't select a folder with many wav's, only one by one....
any ideas?

Slap the drummer

Louis is your man - but

7 channels is probably the problem?

edcito

Quote from: Slap the drummer on May 08, 2011, 11:50:51 PM
Louis is your man - but

7 channels is probably the problem?

Yeah, I'm thinking that's the culprit too... Let's see what Louis have to say.

edcito

Well I've converted a BFD Eco kick sample to stereo and generate a dnsd but all I can hear now when loaded in my 2box is the right channel... from the left I only hear an annoying click.

I didn't resample and left it at 44100 Hz, 50%R 50%L

Well I think I found the problem:
I've had a look at the audio channel info of a kick in BFD Eco and found that each of the 7 channels have a different mic (obviously) like: "channel 0 -Overhead Left, channel 1 - Overhead right" and so on.
So when I convert it to stereo, who knows which channels my audio editor is picking? maybe it just picks randomly?

In that case which channels do I need to select from the 7 available? For this example let's use a kick:
channel 1 - Overhead left
channel 2 - Overhead right
channel 3 - room left
channel 4 - room right
channel 5 - snare bottom
channel 6 - kick in
channel 7 - kick out

My guts tell me that I should select kick in and kick out?

Geez, I may as well register for a course in Audio Engineering.....

Louis

I don't know BFD too well but it looks like you cannot just convert the samples from the wave files directly.

This is what you can do (this is just a sketch of the steps involved):
- open a "DAW" (music program) like Cubase, Logic Pro. Cheap alternatives are Reaper or Mixcraft, these have evaluation versions.
- in the DAW, make sure that BFD can be found as a vst instrument.
- create a midi track and use BFD as the VST player
- adjust the settings in BFD so the kick sounds just as you want it (equalizer, compression, etc)

- in BFD: check the midi note of the kick drum (that was the sound you wanted to create)

- in DSoundTool: generate a midi file for that midi note with for example 30 samples (menu Tools/Generate midi file)
- import the generated midi file in the DAW to the midi track that you created before
- in the DAW: record and bounce the midi track to a wave file (I would recommend 44.1 KHz, 24 bits stereo)
- in DSoundTool: create a kick sound, import the obtained wave file

It is quite some work and not very easy in the beginning, but the second time is already much easier.

Good luck!

edcito

thanks Louis, I'll give it a go today using Logic and let you know my findings.
:patbat2box:

Jman

I know that creating a dsnd for say a tom head zone .... I can load 99 files max. Just wondering if my understanding is correct for HH dsnds. Here is an example: I created a HH with 5 middle transitions. I assumed that for the Bow I could load a max of 99 files .... so just as a general rule I would divide those 99 files by 7 .... IE Open, Closed, 5 middle transitions .... so about 14 files per level ... maybe one less in one level, one more in another ... etc ... but a max of 99 .... Is that correct?  One of the reasons I ask is because I did one dsnd with 16 files per level with 5 middle transitions and it worked .... it was over 99 files.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Daniel

hey louis,

i have the same problem like with the older release "not enough memory" - especially when i want to put together some cymbals or hihats from different wavs.

i already played around with the memory settings, but i cannot get it to work.

cheers

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Jman on May 10, 2011, 02:49:51 AM
I know that creating a dsnd for say a tom head zone .... I can load 99 files max. Just wondering if my understanding is correct for HH dsnds. Here is an example: I created a HH with 5 middle transitions. I assumed that for the Bow I could load a max of 99 files .... so just as a general rule I would divide those 99 files by 7 .... IE Open, Closed, 5 middle transitions .... so about 14 files per level ... maybe one less in one level, one more in another ... etc ... but a max of 99 .... Is that correct?  One of the reasons I ask is because I did one dsnd with 16 files per level with 5 middle transitions and it worked .... it was over 99 files.

Hi - no, it must be 99 per transition zone because I've made hihats like that without probs.