News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat Improvements with 1.20 Beta???

Started by Funkstation777, April 11, 2011, 03:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funkstation777

Hi People,

cause there was no reaction to my reply on the 1.20 topic about my question, I just want to ask again, maybe it was overseen.

Did anyone of you 1.20 beta testers notice any improvements for the Hihat settings? Especially the range of the
Half open Hihat ?

My drummer's problem is still, that the sweet spot is way to small for him to notice, and after unsuccessful trials
by using the dsoundtool in creating Hihats with more semi-open steps (always low memory, etc) he's starting to
get really desparated.

After playing a real drumset for over 17 years, he changed completely to the 2box-set, because of their promise
to have the feel and playability like a "real" set. Bassdrum, Snare and Toms are really great sounding and the feel is
very good, but the Hihat is something we still have  a big problem with.

Isn't there anybody out there who had to fight similar problems?? Please answer.... ???

Deve Loper

Here's a test sound which has a voice saying "0" when open unto "10" when closed.
A foot splash will say "pedal".

www.2box.se/downloads/HiHat0to10pedal.dsnd

If the calibration is ok, you should be able to get all 11 positions (0 to 10) when hitting the hihat while slowly closing the hihat.

Deve.

Cuban

That is an excellent .dsnd file to have Deve, thank you for doing that but it is a .wav file?
Was that correct, should we just convert it ourselves?

lixus

Quote from: Funkstation777 on April 11, 2011, 03:08:37 PM
Did anyone of you 1.20 beta testers notice any improvements for the Hihat settings? Especially the range of the  Half open Hihat ?

My drummer's problem is still, that the sweet spot is way to small for him to notice, and after unsuccessful trials
by using the dsoundtool in creating Hihats with more semi-open steps (always low memory, etc) he's starting to
get really desparated.

Hi, I am also very unhappy with the half open hihat sounds.
I am using OS 1.20 (not the beta one) but no improvement.

I just checked a HH dsnd file in DsoundTool and I believe the problem is
that there are "only"  4 layers e.g. for zone 3 from closed, half open1, half open2 and complete open.

Since the HH is able to signal 10 different positions I guess it should be possible
to also have 10 close to open steps. Currently only 4 are used I am not sure if this
is due to any technical limitation

So I come to the conclusion that this is jus a problem of the quality of the dsnd file.
What I need is a dsnd file with 10 steps from closed to open, both for tip and edge.

Most probably the resulting dsnd file will very big, "Swiss SE 14 HiHat.dsnd" is already 160MB
and with 10 closed to open sounds for tip and edge it would probably become 1G.

roel

Quote from: lixus on July 30, 2011, 06:38:55 AM

Hi, I am also very unhappy with the half open hihat sounds.
I am using OS 1.20 (not the beta one) but no improvement.

I just checked a HH dsnd file in DsoundTool and I believe the problem is
that there are "only"  4 layers e.g. for zone 3 from closed, half open1, half open2 and complete open.

Since the HH is able to signal 10 different positions I guess it should be possible
to also have 10 close to open steps. Currently only 4 are used I am not sure if this
is due to any technical limitation

So I come to the conclusion that this is jus a problem of the quality of the dsnd file.
What I need is a dsnd file with 10 steps from closed to open, both for tip and edge.

Most probably the resulting dsnd file will very big, "Swiss SE 14 HiHat.dsnd" is already 160MB
and with 10 closed to open sounds for tip and edge it would probably become 1G.

You say you are using os. 1.20 (not the beta)where you go that from?

lixus

got it from my german 2box distributor after complaining about the hh performance.
They told me that this could probably improve the hh but unfortunately this is not the case.
I am also suffering from high latency when opening the hh.

md5 size name
aec910e0ecab11cae4543f5c4f7a5b08 94735 DrumIt Five OS 1.20 Update.pdf
6fb134b78dd0e93a62351d9f69395151 122732 DrumIt120.bin

but md5 and size differ from what was posted here
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,757.msg9165.html#msg9165
as 1.20 final so I assume there a several 1.20 around.

Baby Samus

The problem can be resolved by creating your own hi-hat .dsnd files with more transition layers.  The ones I have created using Superior 2.0 have 5 different transition layers between open and closed (closed, open1, open2, open3, open4, open5, closed) rather than 3, and it makes the hi-hat playability far more natural.

lixus

Baby Samus, sounds very interesting, are you willing to share them with me ?

Baby Samus

Well, technically that would be illegal, unless you own Superior Drummer 2 and you owned the same sound library - if you did then yes I guess that would be fine...

Jman

Quote from: Baby Samus on July 30, 2011, 09:36:27 PM
Well, technically that would be illegal, unless you own Superior Drummer 2 and you owned the same sound library - if you did then yes I guess that would be fine...

And I don't think they want us to share dsnds between those of us who own the same packs.... I started a thread at my other forum and most of my thread ended up side tracked by a discussion about legalities with Chris Whitten ....... especially by page 2 that thread:
http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?68157-I-started-building-my-own-sample-library-for-my-2Box-Drumit-five-module.-Wav-based/page2&highlight=WAV+samples
And BFD owners are asked not to trade dsnds directly with other BFD owners here:
http://www.2box-forum.com/resources/
So officially we need to be careful about this.....
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Baby Samus

I read the thread, and although BFD made a statement, Superior didn't did they?  So in my eyes, if we both own the software and the sample packs, sharing .dsnds isn't an issue.

I'm not saying Superior would agree with that, it just seems right that if two people have paid for the same software, and they can both produce exactly the same results, then it doesn't make a difference which user the file comes from - it will be identical and therefore indiscernable between users.

E.G. User 1 and User 2 both have superior 2 and software pack x.  Both users use instrument x to bounce 99 samples for each of instrument x's two zones to .wav files using identical settings.  Both users then create .dsnd files from those .wav files.  It makes no difference, the results will be identical.  As such there is no piracy taking place.

In other words, unless the actual act of using bounced .wav files from SD 2 to make .dsnd files (to be played through the 2Box) is prohibited by Superior (and there is no evidence that it is) I can't see that there would be any legal grounds to distinguish between User 1 and User 2's .dsnd files.

At the same time, I don't think Superior would pursue a small community of 2Boxer's because they are triggering their software and samples in a different way than usual - I'm sure they are just happy another person has bought an SD 2 licence!

Plus Jman, despite what is said over on V-Bum forums in that thread (they are all so serious  >:(), as you will know, once you get accustomed to the software, it doesn't take long at all to make quality .dsnds and they perform great.

Anyway, what do you guys think they would do?  Come to your house and destroy your SD cards?  ;)

Jman

Yeah Baby S , I don't disagree with you .... I'm just being cautious not to prod the beast,  .... so to speak ;) I've never pirated anything and wouldn't.

Jman

Quote from: Baby Samus on July 30, 2011, 11:00:24 PM

Anyway, what do you guys think they would do?  Come to your house and destroy your SD cards?  ;)

I have 3 identical cards locked up in a secret vault, just in case..... ;D

nonoduweb

Using and sharing vst samples in the 2box brain is certainly forbidden, but can't we share artistic creations created with one of these softwares?
For example, a snare drum solo?  ;)

Baby Samus

Yes, your personal performances are your own so you can share away!