News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

How To Record Acoustic Kit Samples

Started by Cuban, April 11, 2011, 10:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuban

Has anyone here yet recorded their own acoustic kit and converted the files for 2Box?

This is something I am thinking about doing as I am fortunate to have a few kits, but I need to understand the best way to do this.

For example,  in terms of recording gear (I have a small 16 track & mics, plus access to a full studio)
The best way to record the samples in terms of creating layers, what is the best number to use etc
Setting the correct volumes etc.

So has anyone yet done this who could advise?

Perhaps this thread could serve a general 'How To' guide.  :)

Slap the drummer

Hi Cuban -

I think if it was me I would be aiming to create something like:-

E.g. a tom -      40 hits spanning the range -40db upto -1db
                       this repeated maybe 4 or 5 times, with a slightly sloppy aim at the centre, to build up
                       some variation sets to make use of the 2box random selection process.
                       (Or at least 30 hits repeated 2 or three times.... ).

It's still a moot point what the optimum would be.  Some thoughts from Mr Loper would be much appreciated here!
2box must have considered it!  (and I raised it previously but got no answer).

Q1. What range of samples does the 2box random variation process select from?  EG, from the 2 layers below and
the 2 layers above the layer nearest to the velocity actually hit?

Q2. What variation in velocity does the average ear hear not as a "mis-strike" but as a real drummer-like variation
in, for instance, a 16th note fill.

Q3. As Q2, but what pitch variation, etc etc.

The last two we should be able to work out for ourselves with a bit of experimentation.  I've been meaning to try and
get a rough feel for my own dsnd files but I've been too lazy!  I have got a ride which I made up with a pitch variation
of upto something like +/- 15% - and I seem to remember thinking it could have done with a bit more (to my surprise).

Of course, you don't need to worry about pitch variation when recording acoustic samples, I'm thinking there of tweaking
existing sample sets to try and make them a bit more realistic.  It's kind of related, but not directly.

Cheers
Slap