News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Adding new sounds

Started by snydley, March 31, 2011, 11:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snydley

Today I got a Transcend 32G class 10 flash card and I understand how to copy the data from the 4G card 2Box supplies to the 32G, but what about adding other sounds?
I've downloaded all the extra drum sounds from the 2Box site and I want to add those too. How is the data organized in the memory card? Are there separate folders for toms, cymbals, bass drums etc. I've downloaded the Cliff Hewitt, Walnut series, etc. sounds, and saved them on my computer in folders called Tom, Cymbals, Snares etc. Are there separate folders for the different drums in the 2Box card, that once it's copied to my 32G card, I copy the sounds to the corresponding folders in the new card, ie. snares to Snares, Kicks to Kicks etc., or are all the sounds in one folder?
I want to do this ASAP, but I want to know the details before I open the brain up for surgery. ;)
Thanks,
Snyde

Jman

Quote from: snydley on March 31, 2011, 11:24:52 PM
Today I got a Transcend 32G class 10 flash card and I understand how to copy the data from the 4G card 2Box supplies to the 32G, but what about adding other sounds?
I've downloaded all the extra drum sounds from the 2Box site and I want to add those too. How is the data organized in the memory card? Are there separate folders for toms, cymbals, bass drums etc. I've downloaded the Cliff Hewitt, Walnut series, etc. sounds, and saved them on my computer in folders called Tom, Cymbals, Snares etc. Are there separate folders for the different drums in the 2Box card, that once it's copied to my 32G card, I copy the sounds to the corresponding folders in the new card, ie. snares to Snares, Kicks to Kicks etc., or are all the sounds in one folder?
I want to do this ASAP, but I want to know the details before I open the brain up for surgery. ;)
Thanks,
Snyde

Hi Snyde: It is fine that you stored the new sounds in your own folders on your PC. But when you load them to your SDHC card, you want to just load the samples. After copying everything from your old SDHC card to your new SDHC card, you just copy the new samples to the appropriate folders. Within the folders there are subfolders.... like within the Cymbal folder you will find China, Crash, HiHat, Ride, Splash. So just put the new samples in the appropriate folder. I did my card as you are doing... copied all the old stuff, then loaded all the new stuff available from the 2Box site. I still don't know exactly what some of the gliches were I ran into... a few times when I dropped new sounds in I would get a message like... the file could no longer be located .... but for the most part it went pretty smooth, and I just redid a few of the ones that got screwed up.... I have everything new now along with the original sounds and songs ... and still only using 15% of the 32GB capacity. Jerry

One other thing I have done twice, and it is pretty time consuming.... but I made a copy of everything on the original card the first time.... just in case I hosed the deal... I would have a backup. And I also did another backup of everything on the new card ... about a week ago. Some would think it is overkill, some, like me think it is always a good idea to backup important files, and after all the work loading up the 32GB card, that qualifies as an IMPORTANT file to me. ;D
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

snydley

Quote from: Jman on March 31, 2011, 11:57:40 PM
Hi Snyde: It is fine that you stored the new sounds in your own folders on your PC. But when you load them to your SDHC card, you want to just load the samples. After copying everything from your old SDHC card to your new SDHC card, you just copy the new samples to the appropriate folders. Within the folders there are subfolders.... like within the Cymbal folder you will find China, Crash, HiHat, Ride, Splash. So just put the new samples in the appropriate folder.
I see, then there are specific folders for differnts drums, that's what I figured, that's why I saved them that way. I'll just copy the appropriate files, sans folders, to the appropriate folders on the new SDHC card after I've first copied my original card data to it.
I did my card as you are doing... copied all the old stuff, then loaded all the new stuff available from the 2Box site. I still don't know exactly what some of the gliches were I ran into... a few times when I dropped new sounds in I would get a message like... the file could no longer be located .... but for the most part it went pretty smooth, and I just redid a few of the ones that got screwed up.... I have everything new now along with the original sounds and songs ... and still only using 15% of the 32GB capacity. Jerry
Quite possibly it could have been a Windows problem. I'm gonna use Linux to do the data transfer, in my experience it's more reliable.
One other thing I have done twice, and it is pretty time consuming.... but I made a copy of everything on the original card the first time.... just in case I hosed the deal... I would have a backup. And I also did another backup of everything on the new card ... about a week ago. Some would think it is overkill, some, like me think it is always a good idea to backup important files, and after all the work loading up the 32GB card, that qualifies as an IMPORTANT file to me. ;D
I also think I'll do that, to a DVD-R disk, and then the new card with all the files on it to Double layer DVD-R disk
Thanks for your help,
Snyde

Jman

Yeah, probably a windows problem on the uploading for me .... I have Windows 7 64bit ...
I have had this 32GB card now since I posted back in that other thread, it works without a hitch ... quite happy with this... I've switched back and forth a couple times with the original 4GB card also ... remove the 32GB card when the unit is OFF ... put in the other card and it works perfect ... cool for me, because my PC is 20 feet or more away from my drum module, so if it weren't for the removable card I would be unplugging everything from the module, moving it and hooking up USB to add sounds .... much better with the removable card.... J

snydley

Quote from: Jman on April 01, 2011, 03:12:33 AM
Yeah, probably a windows problem on the uploading for me .... I have Windows 7 64bit ...
I have had this 32GB card now since I posted back in that other thread, it works without a hitch ... quite happy with this... I've switched back and forth a couple times with the original 4GB card also ... remove the 32GB card when the unit is OFF ... put in the other card and it works perfect ... cool for me, because my PC is 20 feet or more away from my drum module, so if it weren't for the removable card I would be unplugging everything from the module, moving it and hooking up USB to add sounds .... much better with the removable card.... J

Everything went relatively good with the SDHC copy and adding the new sounds, but I did run into a couple of problems along the way.
Like you were saying, I did get some errors when copying the data from the original card to the hard drive, even though I used Linux. I'm not sure exactly why that happened. What I ended up doing eventually was to use my laptop, with it's built in card reader, and a USB SDHC card reader and transferred the files card to card without using the hard drive. I was able to transfer the original data to the new card without a single error that way. Then to get the extra drum files,(from the 2Box site, which I had downloaded earlier), to the new card, I unzipped them to the hard drive and transferred them a few at a time, all the snare files 1st, all the kick files next etc. I ended up with a few errors that way, but I just copied that particular individual file to the card again and I eventually got them all. 
Another problem I ran into was with the formatting of the card. When I first tried to format the card, in XP through Windows Explorer, it would only let me format it with the default cluster size. Not knowing what that was I decided to format it with the command prompt. I first typed: format /?  which gave me the list of options to choose. Knowing that I typed:
Format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K
That formatted it Fat32 32K clusters. Then, when I first started copying using the hard drive and ran into errors, I decided to format it again and start fresh. This time I decided to use Windows Explorer with it's default cluster size,(I just wanted to do it fast), to format it and then copy all the files. When I was all done and installed it in the brain, plugged it in and started it up, it gave the message Loading OS, but then the screen froze with a message: FAT_S_0512_C_16K on it and would go no further. Looking it over I thought maybe the 16K meant 16K cluster size and the brain won't accept that. So I ended up formatting it again using the command prompt: Format E: /FS:FAT32 /A:32K. Then when I copied the original files to the new card and tried it in the brain, it worked perfectly. I then took the card back to the computer, copied the extra files to it and everything works great now.
I only mention this in case someone else trying this gets the error message FAT_S_0512_C_16K after they've copied their files over and the brain doesn't work, they'll know what to do. I did a search here first and didn't see a reference to that error code so now it's here.
I only wish I had bought an SDHC extension cable and did that modification while I was at it. I didn't, so I'll be taking this apart 1 more time sometime in the future.
Thanks for the help,
Snyde

Jman

I didn't have any problem formatting the card to 32Kbyte ... knew that was what the module wants. But I'm sure we experienced a lot of the same errors. I have a card reader on my PC and used that... also used a USB external card reader .... funny most of the time the files would just copy fine and fast... If the copying would stall, calculating the time for transferring ... stalling, I knew I would get an error.... Like you I just persevered and recopied until I got everything.

No worries on installing the card extender. Once you have taken the module apart it is a piece of cake the next time through. And installing the extender is just about as easy as plugging in a card. I bought a backup extender and received it a couple weeks ago .... I like to test things when I receive them to be sure they work.... I did not install it in my module ... but I did plug it into my PC card reader... just mentioning this because in my case I got a pop up to Format that even though it had a card in it that is already formatted .... Just letting you know, you may have to go through formatting again.... but probably not .... that may be another glitch with the card reader and Windows .... just plug it into your module, insert the card and try it out before you put all the screws back in .... J  

snydley

Quote from: Jman on April 02, 2011, 07:02:38 PM
I didn't have any problem formatting the card to 32Kbyte ... knew that was what the module wants. But I'm sure we experienced a lot of the same errors. I have a card reader on my PC and used that... also used a USB external card reader .... funny most of the time the files would just copy fine and fast... If the copying would stall, calculating the time for transferring ... stalling, I knew I would get an error.... Like you I just persevered and recopied until I got everything.

No worries on installing the card extender. Once you have taken the module apart it is a piece of cake the next time through. And installing the extender is just about as easy as plugging in a card. I bought a backup extender and received it a couple weeks ago .... I like to test things when I receive them to be sure they work.... I did not install it in my module ... but I did plug it into my PC card reader... just mentioning this because in my case I got a pop up to Format that even though it had a card in it that is already formatted .... Just letting you know, you may have to go through formatting again.... but probably not .... that may be another glitch with the card reader and Windows .... just plug it into your module, insert the card and try it out before you put all the screws back in .... J  
How are you gonna attach it to the case? I really like the looks of this:

But I haven't seen any parts like this on the Internet. The next best thing is to do what The one guy did and use spacers internally on the circuit board and longer screws and screw it down. I don't like the idea of gluing it, or taping it to the outside. I want to do a professional job, something that's not gonna need repairing later on.
Any idea on parts?
Rick