News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

How Do You Organise Your Kit Library?

Started by Cuban, December 30, 2010, 12:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuban

I'm just starting to create my own kits for specific tracks and for now, I will be using available 2Box samples at this
stage to create the kits.

However, I am curious as to how others have organised the kits in their modules.

How many people here have removed many of the original kits from their module library?

If I have no need right now for a particular kit, say number 100, Vultures.
How can I remove that one kit but store that one kit in case I want to come back to it at a later date?

Is it also possible to create a chain of my main kits without moving the kit from say kit position 47 to kit position 3?

As I play in a number of different projects, is the best way to have a separate DrumIt.dkit file loaded with the
required kits for each band or is there another way?

signature

Excellent question Cuban, sorry I am only new to this drum kit (2 weeks) so i may not have the correct answer, and no doubt you already know about what I know, but I have similar questions, although maybe my needs are little simpler than yours at this stage! ???

I too want to modify kits but be able to revert to them if needed.

This is what I understand so far:

To modify the kit this I believe you just dial in the new sounds (or samples) on the Kit-Drum page (as per page 19 of the manual). I believe you can also change the name of the kit as well (as per p17 of the manual).

To revert to the original kit at a later date, perhaps the answer is to keep a list of the kits together with their sounds? Does such a list already exist?

To go a step further and add new sounds (lets say the Cliff Hewitt kit available from 2box.se), then perhaps it gets a little bit more complex. Presumably there is not a lot of room left on the 4GB disk in the brain, so to install many of the available new sounds, I guess I will have to remove some of the less used sounds on the original 4Gb disk. Perhaps it is it a matter of copying all the sounds from the brain to the laptop so they are always available if you want to reinstate them!

I would be interested to hear how others deal with Cubans questions! :D

So many sounds to play with, so much to do!  It is great fun!  8)

Well done 2box team, I haven been this inspired to play drums for many years! :patbat2box:

signature

Perhaps this information is more useful:

Quoted from page 32 of the 2box Drumit User Manual:

INIT selects the unit or kit settings to be re-initialized. Click the dial to perform the initialization. If the unit or kit is changed, Done is shown, otherwise NoChg. The default is no selection to avoid accidental initialization. The init data is read from the DrumItInit.dkit file in the root folder. If one wants to make a personal init settings file, one can restart the DrumIt Five in USB mode, delete the original DrumItInit.dkit file, copy the current DrumIt.dkit file and rename it to DrumItInit.dkit.

This statement is not totally clear to me yet, maybe because I need to understand it in context. I presume, in essence it is rewriting the Drumit.dkit file from the Drumitinit.dkit file. Is this correct?

Also, here are some extra clues, quoted from the 2box.se site related to the new Peter Lockett sounds:

Peter Lockett has put together some kits for all drummers longing for more percussion sounds! Peter is playing his sounds with sticks on the DrumIt Five kit. Only a little reverb is added for atmosphere.

To use Peter's kits/sounds setup please follow these instructions:

Copy the sound folders in the Peter Lockett percussion folder to the Perc folder of the DrumIt Five memory. and you will be able to play his sounds at these kit numbers below. You must also download the drumit.dkt file you find in the Peter Lockett percussion folder to make that happen. This drum kit bank is built up with the standard 100 factory kits besides these kits located from 40 to 46.

Please note: Before you download and overwrite your own drumit.dkt file we strongly suggest you make a backup of your own drumkit file!

So presumably you can have several dkit files that you can reload in USB mode (or perhaps just rename within the brain while in USB mode). I guess that is what you were inferring in your post Cuban?

I look forward to more comments from people with experience.

fishmonkey

actually this is a very good point. there is currently no way to copy kits between dkit files with the editor.

Slap the drummer

This dosn't exactly answer your question, but what I did was:

decided which kits to sacrifice
used MOVE function in brain to line all these kits up, eg 20 to 29.
then wrote over them with my own kits to give me a sequence of kits in
numerical order (say, 20 to 29).
It was very tedious

the whole business of creating/editing/organizing kits is a right pain at the moment IMHO
hopefully we'll see a fully functional editor before too long.

signature

has anyone got any more advice/experience?

nonoduweb

Quote from: signature on December 30, 2010, 10:38:42 AM
This statement is not totally clear to me yet, maybe because I need to understand it in context. I presume, in essence it is rewriting the Drumit.dkit file from the Drumitinit.dkit file. Is this correct?
So presumably you can have several dkit files that you can reload in USB mode (or perhaps just rename within the brain while in USB mode).

Correct!

I have never used an original kit, I've always made mine, sometimes just a kit with two or three sounds if I just use some pads with an acoustic set.

To rename, organize kits or copy them, the 2box editor does the job. 
It's a pity that we cannot load or record various drumit.dkit files with the module. Sometimes I need to modify some settings of the UNIT menu (trigger settings, gain, etc) according to the band I play with.

signature

thanks for clarification nonuduweb - i suppose you would think 100 kits would be enough! it just shows how spoilt we are with this 2box! we want more! if we had 200, we would want 300!

nonoduweb

I think that 100 kits, it's enough, except if you want to keep all the original kits.

But having several drumit.dkit files to load in the module is not (apparently) difficult to program in the OS and that could be very useful, according to all the differents users.
It would be good also to have possibility to classify its preferred kits in continuation (as patches A-B-..etc. of the SPD-20 pad) without changing their kit number.
These are just wishes, not requirements.  ;)