News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Specification for *.dsnd files

Started by Manfred, January 10, 2010, 05:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred

Hello,

i would like to ask 2Box (deve loper?) if they could publish the specification for *.dsnd files. Obviously it is a kind of WAV-file and the sound data is stored in PCM format. Due to this it should be "easy" to create sounds for the 2Box even though the 2Box-Editor is not released.

I think this would be a great feature an the number of available sounds increases pretty fast. And maybe somebody starts with developing software to create sounds. Anyway the users would have the freedom to do so.

Greets, Manfred

Dr.Wu

i think the real secret to the dsnd files is the fact that it is not a single sample but a container full for the velocity switches and the round robin.
Unless it is a textbased file i doubt that too many people would be able to assemble their own sounds without a dedicated editor.
If its just a single oneshot sample it might be a different story.

Dr.Wu

just read at another forum that the dsnd files can be opened with Audacity and that they look like a string of samples.
That would imply that the module reads the different startpoints and plays the correct section of the file when the user plays a certain velocity etc.
so it might not be impossible to create a usersound afterall......
:rock:

Manfred

Hi,

yes, and there is already the first user-created sound. Just look at the "Sharing drum sounds"-forum. I think it would be easier to create sounds if the full specification is available.

Greets

UC

wonder if we'll start to see 'cooked' ROMs like you do for mobile phones :)

Manfred

Quote from: UC on January 10, 2010, 10:15:28 PM
wonder if we'll start to see 'cooked' ROMs like you do for mobile phones :)

Modifying the firmware is NOT what I want. The risk to damage something is to high. I just want to create some sounds and this should be possible if the specs for the soundfiles are available.

Greets, Manfred