News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Seriously 2box guys, when will there be an update?

Started by Daniel, December 20, 2010, 09:11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

i really think we could need some answers now.

what is in development and when will it be released?  (editor, new sounds ???)

why does it take so long for you?

i think its time to be honest with us and just tell what is going on in your labs.

thank you

Scottie

Quote from: Danny on December 20, 2010, 09:11:11 AM
i really think we could need some answers now.

what is in development and when will it be released?  (editor, new sounds ???)

why does it take so long for you?

i think its time to be honest with us and just tell what is going on in your labs.

thank you

Hi Danny

I don't know of any company out there that usually posts details about an update before it is released. What i can say is that there is an update in the works as we speak, and there are a few goodies on the way as well  ;) I am sure that once Deve is happy with the update, he will post on the forum to give you a few details.

Is there a feature missing at the moment that is stopping you from enjoying your kit?

Thanks
Scott

UC

I hear they're working on a kit made entirely of ice...

Daniel

i try to describe why i am sort of dissapointed (still)...

first i had one of the very first kits (bought it a year ago roughly).

i had a lot of issues with it and had to contact scottie, so he could contact the german distributor and they helped me out with new spareparts
(a 1000 thanks to scottie, of course!)

don't get me wrong,the basic things work good now, but i sometimes i think we could have had more in our hands until now. i mean this whole "open drum"- thing
was one of the main reasons i bought the kit. and the only way thing i can use it for now (limited), is a 3rd party shareware programm.

i know most of the developers don`t talk about things which are in deveopment, but i think this is an excepion, since we are all waiting for so long now.
come on, all these firmware updates were things which should have worked from the day they have sold it.
if they only would have shared the one or the other new sound over the year, i maybe would not have written this post.

on top of all they now sell a MKII kit which has this nice rack and i am stuck on this wobbly "toys r us" rack. to get a the MKII i have to pay 199 pounds, i hear? - sorry this sucks.

if i just had waited a year before buying...

i somehow always compare 2box to the fractal audio axe fx . its for guitarist what the 2box could been for drummers, the best digital modeler - maybe someone heard about it.

they are a small company too. they even only sell direct, its not avalible in stores. and they put out a a firmware every few months, with improved sounds, new ampmodels, and effects. i bought both units around the same time last year and i only see how well my axe fx is supported and poor 2box set is just sitting there, stareing jealously at the axe fx in my home studio, every time i plug in for a new, improved firmware.  ;)

sorry if this all sounds a bit rude, i like the idea of the 2box and i like the sound - but it should and could have been so much more until now. its just a summary of all things and issues i had before, which make me dissapointed.

well, in the end, just my 2 cents... keep on rocking.

Scottie

Hi Danny,

Their are fellow DrumIt Five user's that are creating their own sounds, and using them on their DrumIt Five's right now. Not all of the file formats are in place at this moment, but i can assure you that they are being worked on. Please keep in mind that 2box is a very small company compared to other's out there. So it might take a little bit longer then people would like, but as the company grows, things are only going to get better with regards to time frames.

I don't think i know of one product that ships today that has every feature right out of the box that the company envisioned it having. Personally i think it is quite exciting knowing that we all have products, that are going to evolve over time with new features and improvements. Even your Fractal audio axe fx didn't ship with everything that they wanted if they are releasing firmware updates as well.

Reading your post, it seems like one of your biggest complaints is that there haven't been any new sounds released over the year? Maybe this is an area that can be improved upon, but I did say in my last post that there are some goodies on the way. So it might be worth keeping an eye on the 2box website over the next few days!

The rack upgrade is in place for MKI owners, so that if you were to purchase the MKII rack for £199, then you would have paid the same money as someone buying a MKII kit today. You will also have two racks instead of one. I personally thought that this was a good way to take care of the MKI owners, so they didn't feel like 2box had not taken them in to consideration when the MKII stand arrived. Also the MKII stand only came about from end user feedback. When the first DrumIt Five kit's shipped, there were absolutely no plans what-so-ever to release another rack stand.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion of the DrumIt Five Danny, and I don't take your comments as being rude. I think you have highlighted a couple of area's that could certainly help move the company forward. All i can say is that 2box are getting there day by day, but it just going to take a little bit more time before everything is in place how we would like it to be.

Thanks,
Scott

Daniel

ok, i did not notice that the mkII kit costs 199 more.

Evy

Fair comments Danny, however(and this is to everybody), we have the pleasure, nay luxury of having the best damn electronic kit on the planet at an extremely reasonable price.  I for one am just glad it's here! 

roel

Quote from: Scottie on December 20, 2010, 04:02:33 PM
Hi Danny,

I don't think i know of one product that ships today that has every feature right out of the box that the company envisioned it having. Personally i think it is quite exciting knowing that we all have products, that are going to evolve over time with new features The rack upgrade is in place for MKI owners, so that if you were to purchase the MKII rack for £199, then you would have paid the same money as someone buying a MKII kit today. You will also have two racks instead of one. I personally thought that this was a good way to take care of the MKI owners, so they didn't feel like 2box had not taken them in to consideration when the MKII stand arrived. Also the MKII stand only came about from end user feedback. When the first DrumIt Five kit's shipped, there were absolutely no plans what-so-ever to release another rack stand.

Thanks,
Scott

I still interested in that mk2 rack upgrade and I will pay the money.But I don't know where I can get that mk2 rack upgrade? Any news Scottie?
greetings.
roel.

a700256

Scottie,

I think it would be more fair for those of us who were the early adopters that bought the MK I, for 2box to give a limited time discount on the MK II rack. After all, with all of the posts on this forum about the stability issues of the original rack, it seems like we were sold a defective design and as a result, did not get the full value of what we paid for.

Granted if we buy the MK II rack, we will have two, but if the original design was not that good to begin with, then we really only have one good one! Besides, it would give the fence sitters like myself, some motivation to get the new rack now instead of later - your thoughts????

Tony

Baby Samus

Okay deep breaths!  Lots of complaints here and frankly I feel most of it is totally unwarranted.  Firstly, Danny - You have no idea how lucky you are to get 4 O/S updates in a single year for any piece of hardware.  Not everything you buy is supported this well - My brother's Alesis Fusion synth for instance, cost him close to a grand and they dumped support for it COMPLETELY - no updates, no apologies.  There are many products released which get zero support, so be thankful for almost quarterly updates from 2Box.  I don't see how anyone can complain about free sounds either - the whole point of 2Box is YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN!  Injstead of complaining that you aren't getting free stuff, why don't you try making your own like most other people on the forum - or try asking around to see if anyone has any kits?  I have made a few and would be happy to share, so would many others.  Please remember, free samples from 2Box were never guaranteed as a regular thing.

As for the editor, yes it has shortcomings, but there is always Louis' DSoundtool to try, and this is very much in the spirit of 2Box - homebrew sounds and sharing - its not a Roland forum  ;D

From reading this thread, it seems a lot of people are complaining now about the rack too.  I have had my kit for over a year, and the rack has been rock solid 100% of the time.  I took it on the road on an 800 mile trip sitting in the back of a van getting loaded and unloaded every day and on stage it worked fine.  So what I can't understand is why all the complaints?  It is clear that the MK1 rack that comes with the 2Box does exactly what it needs to for the price - it makes a good solid rack for home use.  Like all hardware, there is always better available, but you need to pay for it.  And also, if your MK1 rack wobbles at all, you haven't set it up properly.  I have the same rack and it doesn't wobble.

I didn't like the snare basket on the 2Box, but I know for the price I paid, I can't really expect a pro piece of hardware - again it does the job for home use and that is what it seems to be designed for.  I replaced it with a Yamaha snare stand and now its much better.  I replaced the base drum pedal with my Iron Cobra.  I replaced the HH stand with a Yamaha.  My point is, instead of complaining about what you don't get, why don't you just replace the hardware you don't like and make it better for your own needs.

Sure 2Box COULD have included all these things, but then the price of the kit would skyrocket and no doubt you'd all be complaining about how expensive it is!  Sorry to offend anyone, this rant is all in good spirit and of course you are all entitled to your opinion, but come on - stop moaning eh?

Scottie

Quote from: a700256 on December 20, 2010, 05:41:34 PM
Scottie,

I think it would be more fair for those of us who were the early adopters that bought the MK I, for 2box to give a limited time discount on the MK II rack. After all, with all of the posts on this forum about the stability issues of the original rack, it seems like we were sold a defective design and as a result, did not get the full value of what we paid for.

Granted if we buy the MK II rack, we will have two, but if the original design was not that good to begin with, then we really only have one good one! Besides, it would give the fence sitters like myself, some motivation to get the new rack now instead of later - your thoughts????

Tony

Hi Tony

The price of £199 is discounted for MKI users. We wouldn't expect you to pay full price for the upgrade. This is simply a good will gesture from 2box, to let MKI owner's know that we haven't forgotten them. If you think about it, you have already purchased a complete stand with your MKI kit, so a proportion of the cost for the DrumIt Five constituted to the rack stand. With upgrading to the MKII rack stand you are not paying for that proportion again, and you would receive a whole new rack stand, with the new snare basket, for a fraction of the cost. So really your value for money has been good. For instance, if you were gigging, you could keep your MKI rack stand setup at home, and just take the pads off for when you take the MKII kit out on the road.

Thanks,
Scott

P.s Roel i haven't forgotten you. Just trying to get a solid ETA for you.

Manfred

Hello,

i bought my kit end of december last year with OS 1.02. Since that we had updates to 1.04 and 1.10. So this are only 2 updates in one year and they are trying to fix essential things of the kit.

I don't complain about the rack because this i saw in the shop before i bought it. But i complain about things that were not obvious at this time:

- double triggers at the snare that could only be fixed with an new mesh head
- unreliable zone detection at the cymbals
- unreliable zone detection at the hihat
- no usable editor for sounds (except DSoundtool)

Some people always say we have to be patient since 2Box is a small company. But why could Louis write an editor in a few weeks including reverse engineering of the sound format? 2Box is still not able to deliver since more than one year now! Thats ridiculous!

Rik said that the trigger problem with the cymbals can not be fixed with the current version of the cymbals. But there is also no new version available. So what can i do to solve this problem? Use an extra pad at an extra input and assign the bell sound to it is the only way i currently see.

I would be able to live without any "goodies" at christmas if the features that were advertised one year ago would work properly.

Manfred

Scottie

Quote from: Manfred on December 20, 2010, 07:48:11 PM
Hello,

i bought my kit end of december last year with OS 1.02. Since that we had updates to 1.04 and 1.10. So this are only 2 updates in one year and they are trying to fix essential things of the kit.

I don't complain about the rack because this i saw in the shop before i bought it. But i complain about things that were not obvious at this time:

- double triggers at the snare that could only be fixed with an new mesh head
- unreliable zone detection at the cymbals
- unreliable zone detection at the hihat
- no usable editor for sounds (except DSoundtool)

Some people always say we have to be patient since 2Box is a small company. But why could Louis write an editor in a few weeks including reverse engineering of the sound format? 2Box is still not able to deliver since more than one year now! Thats ridiculous!

Rik said that the trigger problem with the cymbals can not be fixed with the current version of the cymbals. But there is also no new version available. So what can i do to solve this problem? Use an extra pad at an extra input and assign the bell sound to it is the only way i currently see.

I would be able to live without any "goodies" at christmas if the features that were advertised one year ago would work properly.

Manfred

Hi Manfred

What gain, thres, and curve setting do you currently have set on the snare and hihat? I haven't heard of people having an issue with the Hihat since the updates.
If i PM you my email address, would you be able to send me a video of the Hihat and snare in action?
When you say no usable editor for sounds, are you trying to use a sample already constructed from another company that has a different file extension?
I have heard from quite a few people that have created their own sounds out of wav files. They have recorded the different sample layers and then constructed them in the Editor.

Thanks
Scott

Manfred

Hi Scottie,

thanks for your reply! The multiple triggers at my snare were similar to the following video. It is not mine but it was the same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBrUky2alvs

I tried many different trigger settings (curves, threshold, but gain always zero). I had to set the threshold to very high values but then all the dynamics were gone. The solution was to use a 2ply meshhead!

At the hihat the problem is similar to the bell/bow problem at the other cymbals. Playing normal or weak hits at the edge does sometimes trigger zone 3 (bow) and sometimes zone 8 (edge). With heavy hits it is reliable but not with average or weak hits. I made a video with many hits to the edge of the hihat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1EbmnXSECA

Again, these were all hits to the edge. Am i the only one having this problem?

Manfred

Edit: Video-Link

Manfred

Hi again,

forgot to answer the question regarding the editor. The problem with the 2Box editor is that it can only create single zone sounds. And even this in an inconvenient way.

Manfred