News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Help! brain wont boot..

Started by mr.inn, December 01, 2010, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.inn

Hi!
I just tried to uppdate the os (1.10). After dropping the os-file onto the drumit5drive and restarting the unit it stops booting in the middle of the startup process... i have boot version 1.30 so that should not be a prob... and i have done several upgrades before and never had any probs...
the screen reads:

DrumIt_Five
FAT_S_0512_C_04K
Boot 1.30
OS 1.10

Does anyone know how to fix this??
Thanx
/PeterInn

NeilC

Hey, you might want to see this below... from another thread...

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,139.45.html

Hope it helps (thanks Duckers)

Hi LooPercuS!

Do you get error: FAT_S_0512_C_04k?
Then you need to reformat the flash card.
Below is a cut from the "Resources" page of this forum:

.. if you see a strange message when the OS starts like
FAT_S_0512_C_04k
(meaning a FAT with 512 byte sector and 4 kbyte cluster is detected),
you have a Flash drive with the wrong formatting.
Even though this is technically a correct drive format, for the purpose of playing sound files in DrumIt, it's not appropriate (sounds might distort). Unfortunately this might have happened on some units of the first batch.

If you succeeded in updating to boot 1.30 and the you have wrong drive format, you can reformat the drive to FAT32, 32 kbyte cluster and copy back all sound files. If anything fails, contact your distributor.

br
Duckers

mr.inn

Thank you NeilC!

"If you succeeded in updating to boot 1.30 and the you have wrong drive format, you can reformat the drive to FAT32, 32 kbyte cluster and copy back all sound files. If anything fails, contact your distributor".

I dont really know what this means... how do i reformat the drive FAT32?.. i dont even know what FAT32 is.. any help here would be great. at this point i cant even use the my drums because the brain freezes during startup :(

/Peter

mandubien

FAT32 is a kind of format you can choose when you format a hard drive. You also can use NTFS (which is much better for a computer use IMO).

So simply plug your brain using USB to your computer, copy/paste all the files (samples, user's manual....) on your computer and format it in FAT32 (on PC : right clic on the drive -> format ; on Mac use drive utility tool).

When it's done, copy/paste again all files in the brain and make any necessary update needed.

Hope it helped  ;)

NeilC

If you connect the Drumit5 to your PC via USB and power up the Unit then press the USB button, do you see the DRUMIT5 as a drive on your PC? if so you need to format it by right clicking and choosing format, then make sure it's formatted in the way specified... FAT32, 32 kbyte cluster

Obviously anything that is already on your drive will be over-written, so if you can, copy the contents off it to your PC before formatting. Format, then copy back over.

FAT32 refers to the type of File Allocation Table and is how hard drives are formatted - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

I don't know if you should contact your distributor or whether this invalidate any warranty, I don't think it would...

nonoduweb

I don't know if this will help, but I would try to make an error check before formatting all the SD card.
(on Windows, command line: chkdsk ["drumitfive volume letter"] /f)

mr.inn

Thanks for helping guys, i will try to format the brain.. ill let you know how it went! Have a great weekend!
/peter

mr.inn

Nope... nothing works now... i formated the brain using fat32 formating after copying all the files on the flash card to another location on the computer. now when i start the brain up it says FAT_error and then it reads usb_disconected. It does say that i have boot1.30 installed but no os. Anyone know what can be done at this point(i am using a mac).. i am supposed to gig with my kit next week:(
/Peter

rcprod

Have you contacted support at 2box?

The email address to contact them directly is: info@2box.se

NeilC

Maybe if the file system was corrupt, then some of the files were... Maybe try re-downloading the OS and #start from scratch'...

Deve Loper

Hi Peter.
What ser number do you have?
We had unfortunately a batch of bad SD cards between 1050 and 1559.
In that case, see
http://www.2box.se/Pages/sd-procedure.html

Otherwise, does the unit still appear as USB drive when you start it in USB mode?
See this
http://www.ehow.com/how_2063795_format-hard-drive-mac-os.html
but choose FAT32, 32 kB cluster.

Now copy back all files and make sure the OS (DrumIt110.bin) and settings file (DrumIt.dkit) end up on the root (the topmost folder) on the DrumIt drive.

Deve.

mr.inn

Hi!
I am very greatful that so many of you are trying to help.

I have serial 00279
I got a mail from Bengt, and he recomended me to format in winXP, so that is what i did.
What bothers me is that the brain appears as 2 different storage devices... one that is 200Mb (M:on my computer) and one unspecified whith 3.61GB of storage. i cant format any of these two units to FAT32, 32Kb cluster size.
when trying to format the smaller (M: 200Mb) I get this message:the cluster size is to big for the chosen file system.
When trying to format the other drive (unspecified one, 3.61Gb) i get the message: the task could not finish due to the cluster or volume is not active, restart computer to activate, which i did and it still doesn´t work. (the messages are in swedish so i translated them as well as i can).
I have no idea what to do here

Here is the same text in swedish.. it is easier for me to explain and i know that there are alot of swedes here:)

När jag pluggar in modulen via usb till min pc med windows xp och gör som du instruerade så får jag upp följande:
1. Det verkar som lagringen på modulen är uppdelad i två delar... en del (som på min dator heter M:) som är på 200Mb och en del som inte har något namn på 3,61Gb.
2. när jag försöker formatera den första delen (M:) så får jag medelandet "klusterstorleken är för stor för det filsystemet som valts" och så avbryts formateringen. Det står
också att filsystemet  är Fat32 och status felfri.
3. När jag försöker formatera den andra delen (utan namn) så får jag meddelandet: "Åtgärden slutfördes inte eftersom partitionen eller volymen inte är aktiverad. Starta om datorn för att aktivera partitionen eller volymen". Efter att ha startat om datorn så får jag samma meddelanden. under fliken filsystem på denna enheten står det ingenting.
tacksam för all hjälp jag kan få
/Peter

mr.inn

nothing works!
i have been in front of my computers all day trying to format and get it all to work... winXp cant do anything with the soundmodule... and my mac wont let me specify the cluster size... winXp reads the module as two discs but cant access the larger one and in some weird way creates a crappy 200mb drive that i cant do anything with. i have all the nescessery files on the drumit drive but i still get the crappy FAT_error and No_os messages... and then starts the brain in usb mode whithout me doing anything. I cant get the brain back to when i worked with os1.04.. i have 6 gigs in the upcoming 2 weeks and no drums...

rudiman

QuoteI cant get the brain back to when i worked with os1.04.. i have 6 gigs in the upcoming 2 weeks and no drums...

can't you remove the card from the brain and format it directly in the computer?

mr.inn

I dont see how that would be any different... but i guess i have to try...