News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

cymbal problems

Started by ck57, November 27, 2010, 04:26:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck57

Hi - my cymbals keep choking themselves all the time. It clearly a hardware fault, but I read somewhere that if you disable the choke on the cymbals (which I don't need), this resolves the issue. So my question is... how do I disable the cymbal choke from the settings? I've gone through every menu in the 2box brain and can't seem to see it anywhere. I've also tried the drummit5 PC software - but can't see a choke disable setting there either.

Thanks

Louis

Under the rubber of the cymbal there are two metal plates. The upper one has teeth at the edges.
It could be the case that one or more of the teeth has bent and touches the lower plate,
(or even that a tooth has broken off and lies on the lower plate) in which case you
will get the choking.

Try to check carefully under the rubber of the edges if this is the case, and if so,
bend the teeth back or remove the broken ones.

NeilC

Also make sure the cable isn't damaged and inserted properly into the cymbal/unit...

also this is in the 0.36 Manual, not near my unit at the moment so cannot check...

Deve Loper

In OS 1.10 you can't disable choke. I didn't consider it necessary to be able to do so.
I don't think software should fix bad hardware...
The manual page earlier in this thread is from OS 0.36, that one is not up to date.
Please get the latest manual from our web site.
Deve.

nonoduweb

Hi

you can use a stereo jack to 2 mono jacks cable.

Stereo jack connected to module, and one of the mono jacks (the tip I suppose) to the cymbal. This disables the choke function.

ck57

Hi

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I tried bending the teeth as suggested by Louis - it helped a bit with one of the cymbals (although it's still far from perfect - I've had to change the 'curve' in settings to 'max', at least it now works as a crash - but with no dynamics).

The second cymbal is still unusable, there appears to be a lot of 'dead' areas when hitting the cymbal.

FWIW, none of the teeth were actually touching the lower plates in either cymbal.

Also, everything did work fine for the first few months. Kit has never been gigged. Has been setup in my room from day one - never dismantled or moved. And probably gets played on average only three hours a week. So it's not from heavy use / abuse.

The cables are working fine.

Tried a stereo to mono lead and it made no difference.

I'm running OS v1.1. Boot 1.3.

If it's possible to disable the choke somehow and this fixed the issues, I'd be hapy with that - as I never use the choke feature anyway.

Otherwise, does anybody know if I'm covered under waranty for replacement cymbals? The kit was bought new from absolute music in the UK in May 2010 (6 months ago).

Thanks again

NeilC

I would speak to Absolute and tell them you think you have a faulty cymbal, or send Scottie a PM as he works for the UK Distributor Hand In Hand - or contact them direct... http://www.handinhand.uk.net/  either of them might be able to help.

Hope you get it sorted...

ck57

Thanks p929 and NeilC - sounds like it's defo a hardware issue. I'll contact Absolute Music tomorrow and see what they suggest regards replacing cymbals.