News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

broken rim.

Started by rudiman, November 22, 2010, 11:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rudiman

I found out that my snare rim was not responding okay anymore. So i pull it apart and found out the rim is broken on two places also the softrubber under the plastic rim is torn.
I'am not a hardhitter so how can this happend so soon?

The rim is made of transparant plastic. I read somewhere that there also exists a carbon version of it?

Is there a way to fix it. Without sending it back to my dealer?

Can i repair it myself? Or can i ask for i replacement rim.( are there replacement rims avaiable??)
Don't want to miss the snare for a couple of weeks..

Baby Samus

First you need to tell us what kind of rims you have, carbon or aluminium.  Maybe if you post a picture of all the parts it will be easier?  It is not hard to replace these parts and if you identify them your distributor should be able to send them out to you.

If you do not want to do that, you could have your distributor pick up the pad from you (if it under warranty), and they should be able to fix it for you.  If it is under warranty it may be best to have it sent back and it should not take long.

I had a pad picked up, fixed and returned to me in three days by the U.K distributor, so hopefully you should not be without the pad for long.

rudiman

As i said in my first post the rim is transparent  so i assume it's not aluminium  ;)
I will contact the dealer tomorrow, lets hope he's a lot quicker with rims then with the replacement memorycard :(

fishmonkey

you definitely have the polycarbonate rims.

i am not a heavy hitter either, and i have had the same problem with my snare drum. i think it is because the lower part of the rim tends to slip inside the sharp edge of the metal hoop, which eventually destroys the rubber, and breaks the rim.

apparently they have now changed the design so that the snare rim is held in place by five o-rings instead of only three, and i am waiting for a replacement.

rudiman

Quoteapparently they have now changed the design so that the snare rim is held in place by five o-rings instead of only three

Hmm strange, my snare have already five  o-rings!

fishmonkey

oh, you already have the MKII.

sadly the rim trigger system is one of the weak points of the 2Box design...

Baby Samus

Quote from: rudiman on November 22, 2010, 08:50:48 PM
As i said in my first post the rim is transparant  so i assume it's not aluminium  ;)
I will contact the dealer tomorrow, lets hope he's a lot quicker with rims then with the replacement memorycard :(

2Box rims are not transparent, be they aluminium or polycarbonate.  The transparent hoop you speak of sits sits underneath the rim assembly, the actual rim sits on the top and isn't transparent.  Best to leave it to the dealer...

rudiman

Quotethe actual rim sits on the top and isn't transparent

In that case its not the rim thats broken but the plastic hoop under it.  Maybe its a good idea to make the transparent hoop also from polycarbonate!

fishmonkey

Quote from: Baby Samus on November 23, 2010, 03:00:15 PM
2Box rims are not transparent, be they aluminium or polycarbonate.  The transparent hoop you speak of sits sits underneath the rim assembly, the actual rim sits on the top and isn't transparent.  Best to leave it to the dealer...

actually, the rim assembly is composed of three main parts: the upper tough rubber that you hit, the polycarbonate (or aluminium on earlier kits) rim or hoop, and the lower thin soft rubber strip.

the transparent hoop is polycarbonate (lexan).

it doesn't really make sense to call one part the rim, and the other not. it's just not the same as an acoustic kit. 2Box themselves refer to the polycarbonate or aluminium hoop as the "rim".

Baby Samus

Quote from: fishmonkey on November 23, 2010, 09:53:03 PM
actually, the rim assembly is composed of three main parts: the upper tough rubber that you hit, the polycarbonate (or aluminium on earlier kits) rim or hoop, and the lower thin soft rubber strip.

the transparent hoop is polycarbonate (lexan).

it doesn't really make sense to call one part the rim, and the other not. it's just not the same as an acoustic kit. 2Box themselves refer to the polycarbonate or aluminium hoop as the "rim".

On my pads, the upper part isn't made of rubber - the rim part that I hit is made of polycarbonate plastic, and the rubber is beneath that along with the clear plastic hoop that contacts the rim sensor?

rudiman

in my pad the is rubber is beneath the plastic hoop and the hoop is covered on top with  a black plastic like (rubber?) material where you hit it.

I think we all have the same pads, and according to fishmonkey and wiki, lexan is transparent so i smashed my bullit proof rims  :animal:

Baby Samus

Quote from: rudiman on November 24, 2010, 12:50:07 AM
I think we all have the same pads, and according to fishmonkey and wiki, lexan is transparent so i smashed my bullit proof rims  :animal:

Yeah just got confused when you said the top was rubber.  Can't believe you smashed your rim contact!  Crazy Riggs...

nonoduweb

Hi

I don't want to pollute this thread, but I've always wondered why the current rim system is different than the one which was announced? (see photo)

fishmonkey

that design looks a lot stronger than what we've ended up with...

rudiman

Got my new rim today :-) Its a new design , and its no longer transparent but black.. Hope its stronger then the old design.