News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

All 2box toms have double triggers, but do we use them really ?

Started by rudiman, November 17, 2010, 06:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use rimshots on your toms?

Never
2 (10%)
Only by mistake
3 (15%)
All the time
10 (50%)
Never heard off
0 (0%)
Only on the high tom
5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 5

fishmonkey

Quote from: nonoduweb on November 20, 2010, 08:17:39 AM
If there is a separate signal for the bell and for the bow, there will be no choke function.

why not???

rudiman

I don't think that the choke on a cymbal takes one channel, i supose the choke function works by shortcutting trigger signal?

Deve Loper

Hi.
If you use the rim sound which comes with the snare sound, both the head and the rim are controlled by the snare channal volume (similar for toms). Only if you select a separate sound on the rim channel, then you can adjust its volume separately.
The idea being that a snare or tom is one instrument. If the trigger sensitivities (which is separate for the rim) are correct, the sound while playing head and rim should be as a real drum.
Also, the cymbals use the tip signal for trigger signal and the ring signal for the edge switch. The idea was to distinguish the cup and bow by signal analysis, but the (production) cymbal plates did not produce a consistent signal difference. So now it's done based on signal strength. If you connect other brand cymbals this might give the wrong effect.

Deve.

fishmonkey

Quote from: rudiman on November 20, 2010, 10:03:37 AM
I don't think that the choke on a cymbal takes one channel, i supose the choke function works by shortcutting trigger signal?

in MIDI terms the choke generates a note off message for all cymbal zones, so theoretically you could have 10 different zones and the module would still be able to choke them all...

lite

@Deve

Could you imagine creating software support for foreign brand cymbal pads providing signal difference for zone analysis? For example DDrum4 (as they work with different zones) or other brands? This way it would even be easy to expand the 2box set with available single cymbal pads  :P  :)

Or are we already closer to available 2box spare cymbal pads? Maybe even an updated hardware version with enough signal difference?  ::)

Slap the drummer

Another thought (or 2)....

Just like I would never really use a tom rim sound (although I realize they can be used to trigger other sounds),
I would never really crash a ride cymbal either.

I would much prefer a ride cymbal with no edge sounds but good separation between bell and bow.  I only vaguely
understand how these multi-zone cymbals work, but can't priority be given NOT to the edge (which at the moment does
work really well) but to the bell (which does not as we all know)??

And on the subject of the tom triggers I don't find they work very well either.... it seems a waste of a channel to me, so
I've split the cables and use the extra channels for other pads.  It dosn't feel natural anyway hitting a tom rim to get
say a cowbell.

I wonder why they don't really work?  I'm sure they actually physically have a second trigger - I mean I think that's what
it says on the 2box site.  But my snare rim has a bit of the rim that is reliable luckily (to left of 2box logo) and the rest of it
is pretty much dead....

fishmonkey

unfortunately the rim trigger mechanism is a bit flimsy, and is prone to not triggering evenly around the rim. the sensor itself is attached under the 2Box plate, which is why you get the strongest trigger response close by.

however, if the rest of your rim is more or less dead, then most likely the rim assembly is damaged somewhere. possibly the polycarbonate hoop is broken. in fact, i have the same symptoms, and the lower rubber strip and polycarbonate hoop on my snare are broken.

pull the snare apart and check it out...

rudiman

QuoteThe idea was to distinguish the cup and bow by signal analysis, but the (production) cymbal plates did not produce a consistent signal difference. So now it's done based on signal strength.

Is there a usersetting where we can finetune this signal strength difference , so that we don't have to hit like animal to trigger the bell? :animal:

Quotebut can't priority be given NOT to the edge (which at the moment does
work really well) but to the bell (which does not as we all know)??

That will do the job!(for me)

rudiman

i was thinking about the bell problem.
So far i understand there are 3 triggers inside the cymbalpad. Bow,Bell and Bow crash.

Bow and Bell are connected to eachother and some algorithm trys to seperate them.
That doesn't work fine for everybody. Bow crash works fine. Why not connect bow crash to bow?  So you end up with a 2 zone pad with a large ride zone and a seperate bell. Use a tom trigger type for it and assign the right sounds to it.

Okay its just a tought, Of course this will void warrantie. So don't try this at home.