News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box speedlight kit calibration

Started by blackSaturn, January 12, 2024, 08:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackSaturn

Hello everyone!

I'm new around here and I just got a 2box Speedlight Kit from Thomann.

The kit is wonderful, I really like the built-in sounds and the pads feel amazing to play.

As this is my first "serious" drumset (I come from an ~10 years old, broken, Yamaha DTX400K) I'm having a bit of trouble calibrating the ride cymbal: it seems that when hitting hard the edge zone sometimes a bell sound is triggered... This happens even with factory settings.

Is it possible that my unit is defective? I have found very little information about this problem.

Thanks in advance!

welshsteve

There's one of the trigger setting types which switch to the bell after a certain (quite high) velocity. It sounds like its on that setting.

I am not sure if that's the right trigger type for that cymbal or not. But check the trigger types page and see which one is best suited for you.

I would also send an email to Thomann for their advice.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

blackSaturn

Quote from: welshsteve on January 13, 2024, 07:12:55 AMThere's one of the trigger setting types which switch to the bell after a certain (quite high) velocity. It sounds like its on that setting.

I am not sure if that's the right trigger type for that cymbal or not. But check the trigger types page and see which one is best suited for you.

I would also send an email to Thomann for their advice.

Hi, thanks for the response!

The trigger type I've got currently selected is "CyPSS" which the manual states it's for Huaxin/Alesis type cymbals. The only one that switches to the bell using velocity is the 2box type, which I'm not actually sure what it refers to but I think it's the "legacy" 2BOX cymbal pad.

Type   Brands (examples)  Head/Bow   Rim/Edge   Cross-stick/Bell   Choke   Information   
CyPSV2boxPiezoSwitchVelocityyes
CyPSBRolandPiezoSwitchSwitchyes
CyPSAlesis, RolandPiezoSwitchyes
CYPSSHuaxin, AlesisPiezoSwitchSwitchyes
CYPSYYamahaPiezoSwitchSwitchyes

But since this kit is produced by Huaxin and this trigger type seems to be working well, I actually believe I've got a defective cymbal.

I've got in touch directly with 2BOX' support and hope they respond soon, then I'll actually go to Thomann.

welshsteve

I only sat behind a speedlight kit once a few years ago. I recall the ride being on the Yamaha trigger type. Give it try, it can't harm it.

blackSaturn

Quote from: welshsteve on January 14, 2024, 01:25:00 AMI only sat behind a speedlight kit once a few years ago. I recall the ride being on the Yamaha trigger type. Give it try, it can't harm it.

I tried switching the trigger to Yamaha type but the zones are now inverted: bell plays the edge and edge plays the bow :(

EDIT:
It seems that the bell sound actually triggers when the stick lands hard on both the edge zone and the bow one... even if it's not the same ride pad, has someone actually experienced this issue? Seems I might get away with this issue by actually adjusting the ride position and making the edge zone a bit easier to play...

welshsteve

Ah, I am sorry. Yamaha trigger type wasn't the answer. Like I say it was a long time ago so I probably remembered it wrong.

I would send 2box an email, maybe they'll have some ideas.

blackSaturn

Don't worry about that!

I sent 2box an e-mail about a week ago but I didn't get a response yet. I, however, did manage to mitigate the issue by adjusting the ride cymbal to make the edge easier to play.

I'm having lots of fun with the drumset, actually more than I ever did on an electronic drumset, but I still feel like I have to get used to bigger sizes and placement.

If you wanted to upgrade something, what would it actually be? I feel like the hi-hat stand would be one of those things and the fact that the snare is two zones only is kind of a bummer for me.