News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

trigger interface - Drumit 5 MKI VS Drumit 5 MKII

Started by EQpatch, January 07, 2024, 08:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EQpatch

Hey there,

I´m playing the Drumit 5 MKI module for 12 years (with a few upgrades over the years, 32gb-mod, zourman-converters with Roland HH and ride) now. I'm not really satisfied with the 2Box-cymbals in general and would like to change the cymbals completely to roland.

So my question (https://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=5295.0 is not answering this question), what are the exact trigger-interface differences between MKI and MKII? Is it possible to use Roland crash cymbals with the same trigger quality on a MKI module using the newest OS 1.36.30? Or should I buy the the MKII to get the best results with CY-12C & CY-13R crash cymbals?

BTW, I´m reading here for quite a long time, it´s really cool this forum is still alive! For me the 2Box-Modules are still relevant, especially with a look on the price tag, with a lot of tweaking and good samples the sound is still great. But shure, I´m looking forward to a MKIII ;)!

Thanks!

welshsteve

You should be fine with Roland or Yamaha crashes just that they'll only be 2zone, In Yamaha's case you'll have the edge triggered from the Bell too. You'll not be able to use the bell as a bell sound on stock crashes. But you could construct one in the editor to have bell on the bell, such as a ride. But the edge will be a bell too. If you get me?

Zurnman may have a box for that though, I am not sure.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

EQpatch

Quote from: welshsteve on January 08, 2024, 01:40:03 AMYou should be fine with Roland or Yamaha crashes just that they'll only be 2zone, In Yamaha's case you'll have the edge triggered from the Bell too. You'll not be able to use the bell as a bell sound on stock crashes. But you could construct one in the editor to have bell on the bell, such as a ride. But the edge will be a bell too. If you get me?

Yes, got it, thank you for your clarification!! I will think about it, if I really want the few more trigger inputs  and the expanded ability for three zone crash-ride cymbals on the new module. 

welshsteve

If you do go up to a MKII module or a drumit 3, then pretty much any crash/ride pad (except Roland digital ones) will work well.

Yamaha still get the nod for me as they're on one cable.

But, there's an issue that you can trigger crash by hitting the area between the bell and the bow, most notably with the shoulder of the stick.

For reference, this does also happen with the edrumin trigger interfaces. But I have never had it with a Mimic Pro module, and I have seen it doesn't happen with Yamaha modules either, no surprise there I guess. So I don't know what that is and whether there'll be any fix to it.

Gewa cymbals also work on a 3 zone-1 cable method, maybe some other brands too like Unlock Jaws cymbals (which I think are a really good addition to the budget cymbal market) I am surprised it's not more widely used myself, but there you go.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!