News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit 5 mk1 midi in, a midi chart and a Hi Hat over midi question

Started by Dens, November 19, 2023, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapp_brannigan

Hi, I have a related question: I want to control the hihat of an old Drummit5 with a DIY drum controller build with STM32. Does anyone no what timing the module expects for the Hihat CC messages? Do I need to send them every 3ms? every 5ms? every 1ms?

I want to have the period as High as possible, sendig MIDI messages is the slowest part of the processing so I want to keep it to a minimmum.

Thanks!

Dens

Hi Zapp,

I guess you could keep the hihat cc to a minimum: every 3ms in semi-open state and only send the other cc messages when Hi hat is closed or open. I would use a boolean like openHihatState and have it « true » or « false » in open or closed states. Then only send an appropriate midi cc message if the state changes. You'll also have to send the midi note for the foot at the same time, on for closed and off for open. The splash Will be a quick on/off succession.

Deve Loper

Hi.

CC only needed just before a note on. Eg, hit at open and slowly closing doesnt do anything until hihat closed, cc pedal zone, note on, vel 1.

From the manual.

MIDI parameyer selects between continuous controller 1 or 4. The CC value range can be set from 0 when open to 127 when closed (arrow down) or from 0 when closed to 127 when open (arrow up). Normally MIDI pedal data is only sent just before a note on, selections with a ! indicate that pedal changes are sent continuously.

Pedal down (chick or splash) transmits control change and note on, the corresponding note off is send when the pedal moves up again. A short time between down and up results in a foot splash, a longer time results in a foot chick because a quick sound decay sets in when the pedal comes down, and is removed when the pedal moves up again. So a short time in between keeps most of the sound, while a long time will quiet the sound down.

edcito

Quote from: kenjwright on December 05, 2023, 08:51:51 PMNot to discourage your Arduino project, but you may also like to take a look at this MIDI Solutions unit that can be programmed to do these kinds of tasks.

Cheers!

Ken

Hi Ken, any idea on how to accomplish this using the Event Processor? Since 2box doesn't have a note for the splash how can I achieve for it to trigger a chick note 47 and a splash note 47 as well? I can't find a setting that uses time in the event processor.

kenjwright

Hi Edcito! I had a similar need for timing (convert note to aftertouch pinch/release) and reached out to MIDI Solutions support. Unfortunately (at least at that time) the response was that the Event Processor does not provide any type of pause/delay event.

Too bad though! Could easily(?) solve some of these kinds of issues.

Cheers!

Ken
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

edcito

Quote from: kenjwright on January 29, 2024, 07:17:08 PMHi Edcito! I had a similar need for timing (convert note to aftertouch pinch/release) and reached out to MIDI Solutions support. Unfortunately (at least at that time) the response was that the Event Processor does not provide any type of pause/delay event.

Too bad though! Could easily(?) solve some of these kinds of issues.

Cheers!

Ken

I bought it and now I can choke my 2box cymbals via midi in from a roland td-27, I spent 5 minutes max to program it to convert the roland aftertouch to the 2box choke note.

I have a spare roland FD-9 so I connected it directly to the 2box and will use it to trigger splashes using the same hihat notes. Also the TD-27 has a gate setting that helps filtering the note off event so you don't get always chick and splashes at the same time.

kenjwright

Nice! Opposite of what I was trying to do originally but eventually I'll likely need the same for my 2box. The EP is definitely a great little unit! The programming interface could use an update though!
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

edcito

Quote from: kenjwright on January 29, 2024, 08:30:31 PMNice! Opposite of what I was trying to do originally but eventually I'll likely need the same for my 2box. The EP is definitely a great little unit! The programming interface could use an update though!

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to trigger the 2box with some other module, which one?

kenjwright

Quote from: edcito on January 31, 2024, 03:24:48 PMWhat are you trying to accomplish? Do you want to trigger the 2box with some other module, which one?
The opposite scenario I was referring to was a few years ago where I was attempting to bridge the gap between modern two zone Pintech PC cymbals which use an edge switch  and a ddrum4. The ddrum4 uses aftertouch for chokes and the single zone Pintechs could be choked by squeezing/flexing the piezo housing but that required your full hand (fingers underneath, thumb on top) so not too good for fast chokes while playing but still choke-able nonetheless. For the two zone PC with the edge switch the first setup I tried was using a DDti (trigger I/O rebrand) which did not produce aftertouch but did sent a second note. What I was hoping for at the time was to use the Event Processor to remap the note-on to an aftertouch sequence that ramped up from 0 to 127, paused, then ramped back down to mimic the physical pinch/release. But the EP was not capable of producing that sequence. Currently I am using an eDrumin4 to satisfy that particular need as it can send the required aftertouch.

Cheers!

Ken

edcito

Well I just understood what the OP meant and I confirm it, when playing a full open hihat (CC4 Value 0) and then pressing the pedal slowly the full open sound keeps ringing until it reaches full closed position, it doesn't have to do with the pedal or splash note as I filtered the note off and the same happens.
Here you can hear it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Apbbfhss1Va_hoQtIvsmjTloaDehQw?e=syYNl4

edcito

So the plot thickens, I just checked with my roland digital hihat and it does the same with the roland td-27 module! playing a full open sound it keeps ringing when pressing down the pedal slowly! so maybe it is the way a real hihat sounds? I haven't played acoustic in years so I don't know.

The only thing now I wish had been implemented in the 2Box OS is just the sending of a chick note instead of a splash note, the "foot" note B2 now sends the splash sound and not the chick, I wish it was the other way around....

Deve Loper

drumit foot midi is note on when down (vel on how fast down), note off when up.
Short time in between (some modules might send note on and off very quickly) is foot splash, long time foot chick.

Similar to real hat, when the plates meet, decay starts. The hat doesnt "know" when it opens again, so foot down is same for chick and splash, until it opens again and the decay is taken away.

edcito

Yes I understand that but what I mean is that when I trigger the 2box midi note for foot (B2) through the midi in port ( no physical hihat connected to the hihat input) the 2box sounds the splash sound, whereas in every other module I've played the foot note triggers the chick sound. I wish the 2box did the same.

And also, what was your reasoning behind not allowing to change the midi notes for hihat/cymbals independently?

Dens

Hi edcito,
What is your master unit ? roland td ? Alesis?
in my limited knowledge what you are describing sounds like the hi hat note off hasn't been filtered out. It is not the splash note off that you have to filter out (the splash midi note from your master unit doesn't trigger anything in the drumit 5), it is the hi hat note off.