10s delay changing kits after moving all DSND files to SD root to fix glitching?

Started by peanutismint, November 09, 2023, 05:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutismint

I was getting this weird issue with crackling/'glitch' sounds on some of my samples. I thought maybe my SD card was failing (it's a SanDisk Ultra 64GB Class 10 with the ribbon cable extender) but somebody else recommended I try moving my .DSND kit files to the root of the SD card.

After some testing this has seemed to improve some of the glitching issues, BUT the big downside is that now there's a 5-10 second delay when changing between kits where I don't get any sound. This obviously makes it a lot harder to preview/audition different kits to find what I need, so I'm hoping there might be some 'best practise' I can follow in order to achieve the best of both worlds: instantaneous kit changes but also no 'glitch' sounds when playing lots of samples....?

Is there a known method for arranging SD card files/folders for best use with 2Box DrumIt?

Deve Loper

Hi. File / folder order should (!) not matter at all, at least it didn't on the original DI5.
Only the os.bin and drumit.dkit file need to be in the root.
/Deve

tex2bdrum

Also had problems with ultra cards, no more with extreme plus cards, even with extra folders added, but i only use 32Gb cards,  maybe the dropouts can also be due to the length and the number of layers of the dsnd files, and the playing style.-)
2Box 5 Mk2, AtE Kit (PDP M5, 22, 10, 12, 14, 14) Yamaha Cybs, VH-11, Drum-Dok Triggers, drum-tec heads, Lustar Software, EzD 2 & 3, SSD 5 free, Yeah, Rock On;-))
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC__XVyYnu2tTcZ1NGnd_gJA

Karbonfaiba

It also could be memory degradation. I've also started to notice sound glitching on a number of my kits on my 64GB card.

I swapped in my known working 32GB backup card to test, only to find it wasn't even bootable in 2box with No OS detected. Everything looked fine and readable on the PC however, so I copied everything off, formatted with SD Card Formatter, copied it all back. Now it's working perfectly, no glitching.

MLC cards...  :( Now I need to do the same with the 64GB card, 2box is very sensitive to bad memory.

Deve Loper

Hi! The ever going sd card discussion! :-)
It makes it clear why I on the original DI5 chose to -not- have a sd slot for user cards.
You can call drumit "sensitive", but indeed, it needs a reliable consistent performing card.
2 warnings, an extender cable makes signalling definitively worse and prone for errors.
And I dont how DI3 and 5mk2 do things nowadays.
Best, Deve.

peanutismint

Thanks all! Good to at least (hopefully) rule out file/folder structure as a cause. Maybe I'll try a reformat or even a new card....