News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

hi-hat struggles

Started by DrumingNublet, September 08, 2023, 03:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrumingNublet

Has anybody tried controlling the hi-hat using a hi-hat controller plugged into a midi device into the Drumit 3? Does the footsplash work as intended? 

I can't seem to get my RHH135 calibrated to a comfortable spot for the life of me. I either get double chic + footsplash city or weak and/or non-existant chics.

Oddly enough, the 2box is expanding on my DTX m12.  I'd reached the max of it's potential and wanted some multi-zone cymbals and to use the second zone of my RHh135, as the M12's only multi-zone input was occupied by my XP80.

I'm using 8 pads of the M12 for the Drumit's toms and rims via midi, and then I'm running into the aux in for the other 4 pads + using an HH65 to trigger 808 kick samples from the M12.  I have a KT-10 for kick, added some Yamaha 3 zone cymbals.

An edrumin 4 would've likely been enough for me.. but I'm loving everything about the drumit 3 other than the fact that I can't get to a comfortable place with my hi-hat controller.

Tonight I tried running the RHH135 into the multizone port of the M12 to see how controlling the hi-hat via midi went and it immediately feels better in every aspect other than the footsplash function is not working.  I can't do 8th note chics, because the only way to make the footsplash work is to double tap the pedal.. I'll call it a chicsplash.

I'm sure it's probably a disagreement between the logic of the M12 and the Drumit 3 on how to handle midi notes..

but it's like.. if they'd just create a mutable footsplash and a separate chic sound that I can assign a midi note to I'd be in heaven with my 2box/m12 hybrid kit.   

I've been fiddling with the calibration tool all week but I maybe I'm missing something.  Any thoughts are welcome.

edcito

Yes the 2box splash and chick implementation is unique, there's no midi note assigned to the splash but it's triggered by the time threshold of the pedal note. if the pedal it's released quickly it triggers a splash sound, otherwise it triggers a "semi" chick note, semi because it's just a splash sound with shorter decay.I've tried a mimic pro,an efnote and edrumin sending midi to the 2box, all react as you describe, they all trigger a splash and chick at the same time, there's no way to change that in the 2box so triggering it via midi works for all pads but for the hihat is not usable.

DrumingNublet

That's a bummer.  Reading the manual, they describe the hi-hat via midi functioning essentially the same way it does with the hi-hat controller plugged directly into the Drumit 3 but it simply doesn't. 

I can reduce the "gate time" in my midi settings on the M12 for the foot splash note but at 0 it results in only getting foot splashes.  No chicks, and anything above 0, two chics in a row gives me a chic followed by a splash.   

If 2box could figure that out with a firmware update I personally think the Drumit 3 would be perfect for my needs.  The thing sounds too good and has too much potential to fall short in this one area. 

I may try just using chick and foot splash sounds from the M12 while using midi to control open/close and my bow and edge sounds.. see if I can make that useable.

Thanks for your input.

DrumingNublet

I found a solution. I don't know how useful this will be for other midi devices, but for the DTX M12?  This works for my needs

I thought about how the GateTime setting on the M12  went to a full footsplash sound when set to 0.  There is also a TRGMonoPoly setting in the M12, and setting this to "mono" while playing the midi note for the foot splash for some reason produces only a "chic" from the drumit 3.

So on the M12, I chose the "HHCL" function and set it to mono with midi note B1.   Then I went to the "HHSP" function and set the Gatetime to 0 and set it to the same exact midi note, leaving it set to Poly.

It's not quite how 2box intended it but, I am getting consistent chics and really have to kick the thing to get a footsplash, which typically produces a chic and splash at the same time, but, works enough for my needs as I mostly wanted to nail down a consistent "chic" and full range of the RHH135, and in that regard, doing so via midi from the M12 feels infinitely better than my results trying to use the RHH135 into the 2box hihat inputs. 

It is a night and day difference.  I can mute the cymbal without playing a chic.  I can play chics as fast as I want.  There's a specific way to hit the pedal to get a footsplash.  I have the full range of my RHH135 with no calibration or tweaking required. 

Time to start having fun with my 2box/m12 hybrid kit.   It's hard to express how sweet this setup turned out to be, and I've already done the SD extender mod.