News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DrumIt 5 Mk II - broken ride + rubber replacement

Started by E-Drummer, August 26, 2023, 07:58:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Drummer

Good morning from Italy!

I've been using my Mk II Drumit 5 since 2012 flawlessly but today my ride cymbal has just died.

And here I guess you can see why:
https://ibb.co/KWmsGwT

Do you know where I can find a new one or if there's an alternative and cheaper compatible cymbal?

Beside that, I noticed that my right crash cymbal is having some triggering issues.
I removed the rubber - which is still perfect - and noticed there's no more glue so the rubber is only clinging to the lower indented part.
Could it be the reason for false triggering?

And finally: the rubber of my hi hat also opened at the edge, making it almost impossible to play.
Better replace the rubber - can it still be found on ddrum.ch? - or do you recommend replacing the entire hi-hat cymbal with a better performing model instead?

Thank you all! Drum on!

welshsteve

You often see these cymbals for sale separately on ebay. I would do a "save search" for 2box drumit 5 cymbals if there's none up at the moment, the second someone lists one, you'll get notified.

When I had a drumit5 kit, I had several failures which I repaired. Usually those prongs bend and touch the main plate leading to a constant choke sound. Just bending the prongs back so there's a space left fixed that.

I had the rubber split on the edge. Some people had theirs go all the way around with no effect to playability. Myself I just put some Gorilla tope on the split which held it until I needed to it again some time later (approx 6-12 months)

I can't tell from the photo, but it looks like the secondary plate is coming away from the neoprene, get some rubberised contact adhesive and reglue, that should fix it.

Other issues could be to do with the piezo. They had a special one, like a donut design, I was not able to find replacement donut piezos online anywhere.

I instead took the cymbal completely apart, put 2 x 10mm on each side of the hole, re-wired it and also put a resistor inline with the phase to cool it a bit as it was a little too hot for the module without. I cannot remember the rating, but I am gonna say 2k ohm  resistor. Best check with 2box (or ask Deve Loper on here, he'll likely know!)

Another fix was the donut piezo worked but had come away a little from the main plate, I just glued that back. It was a little tricky to get at it through the hole, but I managed it and that fixed it.

Good luck!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

E-Drummer

Thanks a lot for the useful reply Steve!

By the way, do you know if Lrmon cymbals would be compatible with my Drumit 5 Mk II older module (thr orange one)?
I would love to try them but I cannot understand if they are going to work properly or not.

welshsteve

That's a Good question! The very least, You'll get 2 zones but maybe not 3. So they'll be good for a crash/China. 

Maybe someone else who's got a Lemon cymbal with a Mk1 module can chime in to confirm this.

My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

E-Drummer

In the meantime I wrote to Lemon UK to check the compatibility, I'll be post their reply since I think it could be useful to old MK II owners like me and to anyone who would add more cymbals or just replace some on his own drumset ;)

sfallows

Hey, I recently got a Lemon 18" ride to use with an original Drumit5 module.  Steve is right that you'll get two zones but not the third.  The Lemon ride has the two connections similar to Roland cymbals, as Roland achieves their three zones through two different cables. If you plug into one connection, you'll get the Bow/Bell which will give you all the sounds except the 'crash' when hitting the edge of the ride.  There's a couple of videos online showing that your Lemon ride may come with the wrong zones connected together, but it's a really simple fix.  This video should do a better job of explaining it than I can:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAe4m7QKOoI&ab_channel=65Drums

If you do want to get all three zones, Zourman has a conversion module that will let you use all three with the original Drumit5 module.  I've been happy with just the bow/bell, but just so you are aware there is a way to get the edge as well: https://zourman.com/products/roland-3-zone-ride-conversion-module-for-2box/

E-Drummer

Hey sfallows, thanks a lot for your precious feedback!
I do not need the crash sound on my ride cymbal so I guess I'll give it a go to Lemon ride and crash, and maybe I'll try their hi-hat as well (though I have the same doubt about its compatibility)

Thanks a lot!

sfallows

No problem E-Drummer - happy to help!  Unfortunately you'll also run into compatibility issues with the lemon hi-hats.  2box used a proprietary magnetic solution to manage the open and closed sounds, versus the 2 cable connectors used by Roland and others.  There are a couple of solutions that allowed users to use a hi-hat other than the original 2box.  The first was invented by JMAN on this board, and recreates the magnetic connection through the use of a magnet mounted to the foot pedal of your hi-hat, and a little black box sitting underneath (I've never been brave enough to open the box up to learn exactly how it works).  Sadly, JMAN passed away a few years ago (RIP) and so I think the only boxes available are those that other users would be looking to sell.  The other is a solution developed by the same Zourman who created the conversion module for the Roland ride.
https://zourman.com/products/roland-hi-hat-conversion-modules-for-2box/ 
This box will allow you to use a few different hi-hats, including the lemon hi-hats as I believe they work the same as the Roland hi-hats that the Zourman box supports.

E-Drummer

Thanks a lot once again sfallows
I guess I'll refresh my cymbals with a Lemon set (missing ride edge wont ve a problem), I also dropped an email to Zourman just to be sure Lemon hihat would be compatible with their VH-11 Conversion Module.
I will keep you posted, thanks again!

P.S: Zourman confirmed the compatibility 👍🏻