News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hihat dead?

Started by Guiyomus, July 11, 2023, 12:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guiyomus

Hello there, 2box noob here 😁
I've just got a drumit 5 mk1 for 450€ with a few problems due to the age of the kit.
The main one is the hihat.
I did a fresh install of the module before testing anything. Got the original files and last firmware on the 2box website.
So about the hihat, after a few tries and settings i can only get it to work with the pedal. Almost nothing happens when i hit it with drumsticks, i got a really small trig when i hit it hard one time, just to try.
I took off the rubber pad and it looks like a mess. Do you think there is something to do to save it or i should buy a new one?

Thanks have a good day

welshsteve

If nothing happens when playing it with sticks it's a piezo/connection issue. The trick will be getting at it to repair. I did a repair on a 14" cymbals a few years ago and it worked out, but it was tricky. I am not sure it would be easier with a hihat, but let's assume it will be the same. Getting it all apart to access it was the hardest part, and once repair was done, re-glueing it with neoprene spacer (like what you see under the prongs in the pic) sufficiently for the top plate to be re-glued onto of that.

Also, the piezo they used was a donut design rather than a standard typical disk. Not being able to obtain a donut piezo from anywhere, I opted for (I think) 3 10mm piezos which where hot glued into place in a triangle formation around the hole at the center of the cymbal pad.

As this resulted in them being hot in signal, I then wired a resistor into the phase connection before jack socket. I cannot remember what Ohm resistor, if I recall it may have been a 2K one. But it cooled it enough to make it usable.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Guiyomus

Okay okay, thanks for the answer.
I might buy a new one, i've found one for 120€ 😁
I'll keep this one in case i have that much time to look at it.
As i've said the open/close works, so maybe there is hope.

Guiyomus

Okay i think i've found the problem.

Guiyomus

Does anyone know where the blue and the red cables go on the cymbal?

Guiyomus

It's okay i've just found a pictuere on some other topic where i could see the soldered cables. And it's working! First soldering since highschool!! 🤣

ANGR77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com