News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Positional sensing

Started by NickDino, June 02, 2023, 02:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickDino

Can you have positional sensing on the drumit5 mk1?

kenjwright

Quote from: NickDino on June 02, 2023, 02:57:46 PMCan you have positional sensing on the drumit5 mk1?
Hi!

Unfortunately positional sensing is not a native feature of the DrumIt modules.

Cheers!

Ken
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

NickDino

Is there a workaround solution?

ANGR77

I am afraid not!

It is very many changes needed on both the trigger handling and also you need to add all the xtra sounds also...so I am guessing that will not happen. Then there could also still be legal issues to implement PS - an old Roland patent.

Best regards

Anders / Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

kenjwright

Quote from: NickDino on June 11, 2023, 07:01:38 PMIs there a workaround solution?
I toyed with this a bit using an eDrumIn for the positional sensing on a snare, MIDI'd to the DrumIt. The DrumIt was setup to use the perc channel on tom1 to have the snare edge sound. This worked ok but there is only the two sounds (center and edge) without a gradual transition. So if that's all that is desired, then it can work. The eDrumIn also supports sending CC-65 (Control Change - Portamento on/off) instead of a note on/off so I tried using a Midi Solutions Event Processor to remap the CC-65 messages into ranges of notes but was not able to get an appropriate recipe made (so far). So with some extra hardware it is possible to get some degree of positional  sensing to work if you're willing to invest some time and $$.

Cheers!

Ken
Ludwig Acoustics, Paiste Cymbals, Drum Brothers Djun Djuns, ddrum3, ddrum4, 2BOX DrumIt Five, Pintech Cymbals, MegaDrum56, eDRUMin-4

edcito

Hey that's a great idea! I'm going to test it soon as well, by the way, I found the midi note for hihat splash and it's 48, it could be fun to test all midi notes on the 2box since there are some hidden things there... from 1 to 127, maybe there is some CC hidden there for positional sensing...

boekhour

So even the drumit 5 mkII doesn't support postional sensing?

welshsteve

Not natively.

As far as I know, Positional sensing was first implemented by Simmons on their SDX system in the 80s. Then Ddrum did it with Ddrum3 module in the early 90's, the Ddrum4 in late 90s then it wasn't done until Roland did it (and patented it) on the TD30 (I played one on a ship contract and I never thought it was very good to be honest)
The Mimic pro does it, Yamaha DTproX module (though I haven't seen it demo'd) the edrumin does but it depends on what it's triggering and of course Roland TD50/27 modules.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!