News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit5 display shows 'NO OS' - sd card completely empty

Started by James, March 13, 2023, 11:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

I had a very unpleasant experience with my Drumit5 that I would like to share with the group. I've been playing it for 10 years now with no problems worth mentioning, only the button with which I select the kits no longer works properly and it is sometimes difficult to select the right kit. Last week at startup I couldn't get it to start and it showed "NO OS" on the display. I then opened the device and took out the CD card (original card of 4GB) and put it in my PC. The card was completely empty, there was no more data on it, very strange! I reformatted the card and put all the data back on it. And now it works perfectly again. I have no idea what the cause could be, maybe someone in the group has already experienced this or knows more about it. In any case, I'm very happy that it works again and hope it stays that way, because the Drumit5 remains a fantastic instrument that I've had a lot of fun with!

welshsteve

Sounds like a data corruption, I have no idea of what causes it. Although the SD card showed no data, all your files were probably still in there and what had happened was the indexing had got damaged. I am not a computer programmer or anything, but I have seen this thing happen before, not on dit5 kits I should point out, but SD cards and flash drives, and some tech friends of mine have said about the indexing corruption thing.
In any case, glad you managed to retrieve you files! Always good to have a back up in case things like this happen.

PS As it's an old card, perhaps they do degrade over time and so it might be an idea to get a replacement, just in case this happens again.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

swamp420

I am having a similar problem with my mk1.  I finally figured out how to open it up in usb mode and noticed that nothing had been updated since 2012.  I backed everything up on my computer then installed the latest os and all the kits, sounds etc and now when I try to boot it up it says OS Error.  I tried erasing it and putting everything back the way it was but it says that all the backup files are corrupt.  Should I reformat the SD card and the reinstall everything?  I can't figure it out.  Any help would be appreciated.

welshsteve

Not speaking from experience here, but as it's an old card, perhaps getting a replacement one would be a good idea.
I do suggest getting the card reader modification though, you can do that by going to
https://zourman.com/product/32gb-2box-card-mod-kit/
For starters you get way more memory, so more kits and sample storage. Transferring is also way easier, you don't need the module powered up and connected in USB mode to do sound exchanges. Also, it's WAY faster than the USB1 speed of the module.

swamp420

Thank you! I ordered the converter, but in the meantime I took a high quality 32gb sd card from my camera, formatted it, then I put the latest os and sounds on there and it worked perfectly. Almost like a factory reset! I was impressed before the upgrade but now it's like a new machine. Thanks again!

welshsteve

Great you have it working but be careful, DO NOT try and use the module in USB mode if you have a card installed that's larger than 4gb. It can be damaging! This is true if you have the 32g modification, but you don't need to in that instance as taking the card out is way simpler than booting the module in USB mode. You get what I mean.

swamp420

OK, I think I get it...but wouldn't that mean that I couldn't use the editor software with the larger card/kits, right?  Unfortunately I already booted it up in usb mode several times to edit my kit,  I hadn't read this yet.  How would I know if I damaged my module? I also need a hi hat magnet....is there a 2box therapist I could talk to?  ;D  I can tell this module is awesome by the sounds I'm getting but getting it dialed in is a bit challenging.  Thanks again.

welshsteve

Re: Hihat magnet There's one for sale here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204284827589?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Ekgkxy0wQA-&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=TR2LdbCNSu6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

As for knowing if you have damaged your unit, I am not sure. I only know that as long as the 32g mod was around (coming up to over 10 years of my involvement on this site) booting in USB mode was a big no-no, I have heard his too official 2box box. I cannot remember why though and what the symptoms are if it's damaged. If you find nothing has been affected, then perhaps you're lucky and you've not damaged it. But I would avoid doing this from now on.

Some people have cut a small slot in the side of the module chassis enabling them to access the card without having to take all the screws off etc.

Maybe this could be something you could do?

Deve Loper

Hi.
Using more than 4 gb via usb does NOT damage the unit. Just the sd card data gets messed up.
This is not a bug btw. The usb mass storage code was never intended for more than 4 gb.
Best, Deve.

welshsteve

Quote from: Deve Loper on April 02, 2023, 07:52:57 AMHi.
Using more than 4 gb via usb does NOT damage the unit. Just the sd card data gets messed up.
This is not a bug btw. The usb mass storage code was never intended for more than 4 gb.

Thanks for clearing that up, good to know that's it's just the card that can be affected and not the module.

I did hear from several sources that physical damage could be sustained, but I'll take your advice over theirs now.