News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Need some clarification about Drumit 5 MK1.

Started by poit57, September 10, 2023, 01:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poit57

I'm a bass player who has recently started filling in on drums occasionally for my church.  As I have been familiarizing myself with our Drumit 5 module through the manual and YouTube videos, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

• Is the Drumit 5 MK1 kit older than the Drumit 3?
    All the tutorials seem to reference Drumit 3 or Drumit 5 MKII. Both of these models have product pages on the 2box website, but the Drumit 5 MK1 is only referenced in the support pages. Other than the physical controls on the front of the module, the Drumit 3 seems to be more advanced than the 5 MK1, but the naming convention is confusing if that's the case.
  • Is there a more updated manual for the Drumit 5 on OS 1.3x, or would any of the operations have changed since 1.24? 
    The manual for Drumit 5 on the 2box support page references OS 1.24. There are PDF manuals contained within the "DI5-Content 1.30" download, and they both reference OS 1.24.  On the other hand, the Drumit 3 manual references OS 1.32 while the 5 MKII manual references 1.36, the current OS version. I think we've been running OS 1.30 since we first got this module, but we recently loaded 1.36.30.
  • Does the Drumit 5 MK1 have the same hihat controller compatibility as the other 2 modules?
    Drumit 3 has a compatibility list showing "Adjustable resistor, active hall generator, or switch," and the current models have a "Hihat B" input for the controller.
  • If the controller compatibility is similar, would a TRS splitter adapter cable be able to combine the signal from a third-party hihat trigger and controller pedal, or would I need a Zourman conversion kit?
  • If the controllers we are looking at aren't Roland or ATV brand, how would we know which conversion kit to look for?
    Currently only one is in stock with the US seller.

Info about our current setup:

Around 2011-2012, a 5-piece acoustic drumkit was donated to our church. We were sold the Drumit 5 module along with Aquarian Onhead triggers and a Zildjian Gen16 cymbal system to have low stage volume that could be run through the PA system.

One of the Zildjian sensors has a damaged cable, and replacements are very difficult to locate since the system was discontinued several years ago.  We are looking at adding piezo triggers to the low volume cymbals and running them through the Drumit 5, but we are trying to figure out if we can make our current module work with the new equipment.

Since the Aquarian Onhead pads also seem to be obsolete, we are looking to replace them with mesh heads and acoustic triggers.

welshsteve

Is the Drumit 5 MK1 kit older than the Drumit 3?

Yes. The original drumit5 module came out in the late 2000s (I think 2008 to be more precise)
The only real difference other than cosmetic is the di3 has a better trigger interface so you can fully use Roland or Yamaha style pads/cymnbals. The hihat is where this is felt more than anything as the original hihat for the di5 left a lot to be desired. You can get a Zurman box which will adapt a Roland hihat for use with the original di5 module.

All the tutorials seem to reference Drumit 3 or Drumit 5 MKII. Both of these models have product pages on the 2box website, but the Drumit 5 MK1 is only referenced in the support pages. Other than the physical controls on the front of the module, the Drumit 3 seems to be more advanced than the 5 MK1, but the naming convention is confusing if that's the case.

It's only the trigger interface, the sound engine is the same on all modules. So 2box sounds can be used on any version of the di5 or di3.

Is there a more updated manual for the Drumit 5 on OS 1.3x, or would any of the operations have changed since 1.24? 

yes, I believe the most unto date version of the OS is 1.36. Though there's a 1.40 which I think has appeared on FAME module (rebranded drumit3)

The manual for Drumit 5 on the 2box support page references OS 1.24. There are PDF manuals contained within the "DI5-Content 1.30" download, and they both reference OS 1.24.  On the other hand, the Drumit 3 manual references OS 1.32 while the 5 MKII manual references 1.36, the current OS version. I think we've been running OS 1.30 since we first got this module, but we recently loaded 1.36.30.

I am not sure how to answer this.

Does the Drumit 5 MK1 have the same hihat controller compatibility as the other 2 modules?

The original di5 hihat system can be used on the di3 and di5 MK2 modules.

Drumit 3 has a compatibility list showing "Adjustable resistor, active hall generator, or switch," and the current models have a "Hihat B" input for the controller.

Yes, Roland hihats have 2 outputs, the cymbal part and an output for the controller. The original Hihat was all on one cable.

If the controller compatibility is similar, would a TRS splitter adapter cable be able to combine the signal from a third-party hihat trigger and controller pedal, or would I need a Zourman conversion kit?

Zourman box is for use with Roland Hihat controllers/cymbals. I do recommend this, it's a vast improvement over the original hihat system

If the controllers we are looking at aren't Roland or ATV brand, how would we know which conversion kit to look for?

Goedrum/Lemon/Jobeky etc use the Roland style hihat controller. I am not sure if ATV can be used in an orginal drumit5 module. Send Anders a message (or perhaps he'll chime in here with an answer) about this.

My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

ANGR77

Hi!

The ATV ad-h14/ad-h12 can use the Zourman ATV hi-hat conversion for 2box and it will  work fine with all 2box modules. (From the Five MKI, Three and Five MKII.

Best regards

ANGR77, www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

poit57

Thank you for your reply. We are looking at purchasing Magnatrack triggers and interested in their Remedy HC-2 controller.

Based on the specs listed on their website, can you clarify which version of the 2box hi-hat conversion module would be appropriate for this controller?  It looks like there are 5 options available at zourman.com, but only the ATV ad-h14 V3 available at the US reseller e-Drumcenter.

Magnatrack hi-hat controller specs:
  • Universal compatibility - "works with all drum modules like Roland, Alesis, Pearl, and now Yamaha"
  • mono TS output jack
  • passive power - powered by module output 5V

ANGR77

Hi again. Sorry for a late reply.

I have not tried this pedal with my gears...but I would guess and are almost certain that a plain Zourman hh conversion for Roland FD-8/Vh11 will do the trick.

If you talk to e-drumcenter- they can order these from me - even if they don't have them in their portfolio. You can also buy it directly from zourman.com - we ship ww.

Best regards

Anders / Zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

poit57

Thank you for the reply.  My order of new triggers finally arrived this week. Still working on installing everything, but so far everything is looking good except for the hi-hat control.  I went ahead and placed an order of the Roland conversion box from your website. I'll update when it arrives.