News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Distorted / missing sounds when not using headphones

Started by Isles30, February 08, 2023, 05:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isles30

Hey all - I've been having this issue for a while now and it's driving me nuts, any help would be much appreciated.

When listening through headphones everything is perfect, the stock kits and SD2 kits sound great.  The problem occurs when I try to output through a speaker or into a mixer.  Many of the kits are not audible at all, and the ones that are sound horrible and very echoed, almost as if underwater.  If I switch to an electronic kit like the stock 808, the sounds are barely audible, I have to turn the volume all the way up and even then can only hear faint clicking.  For some reason the Kit #1 stock 2-box kit is the only one that sounds half-way decent, but even so it sounds very distorted compared to listening with headphones.

Could very well be that I just have no clue what I'm doing here.  I understand it's not going to sound as great as listening through headphones, but the sound is so distorted or completely missing I have to believe something is wrong.

I'm using:
- 2box Drummit 5 with latest OS 1.32 with the Jman external SD mod, Jobeky pads and hats, L80's with Jman triggers.
- Main SD is a PNY Elite Performance 32GB SDHC 90 MB/s.  Also have 2 Lexar Professional 32GB SDHC 133x Speed.  All recommended ones as far as I remember.

I've tried:
- Outputting using different configurations (headphone jack, Out 1-2)
- Tried with many different known working cables. TRS, insert cable, TRS to XLR converter.
- Loaded completely different fresh SD card with the default 2-box data and none of my settings.
- The PA I'm using is a Yamaha DBR15.  The mixer is a Q802USB.

Deve Loper

Hi. Slow forum here :-) Me too...
Anyway, I can only give advice on DI5 original (mk1).
The outputs 1-6 are the same, just that 1.2 can be vol controlled.
See unit-out page. Hp out has an extra driver for headphones, but can be used as direct out 7.8 and is then set to same level as 1-6.
So route mix to hp and/or 1.2 and check with var or fix level (with !).
Should givd the same sound quality.
Note thar 1-6 are unbal TS (R is same as S is gnd) and hp is TRS left-right-gnd.
Best, Deve.

Isles30

Quote from: Deve Loper on February 10, 2023, 10:39:24 AMHi. Slow forum here :-) Me too...
Anyway, I can only give advice on DI5 original (mk1).
The outputs 1-6 are the same, just that 1.2 can be vol controlled.
See unit-out page. Hp out has an extra driver for headphones, but can be used as direct out 7.8 and is then set to same level as 1-6.
So route mix to hp and/or 1.2 and check with var or fix level (with !).
Should givd the same sound quality.
Note thar 1-6 are unbal TS (R is same as S is gnd) and hp is TRS left-right-gnd.
Best, Deve.

Thank you Deve.  I changed the output to the fixed (!) Mix and the signal is definitely stronger now.  Able to hear the 808's and such now.  Think I'm going to go the route of triggering VST via MIDI for recording.  I appreciate the help!