News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Starting to sample my drums

Started by Ritchiedrums, January 19, 2023, 06:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ritchiedrums

What are the recommended frequencies for the lowest and highest dynamics?

welshsteve

I have sampled my drums so have a bit of a clue of what's needed, what specifically are you asking?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Ritchiedrums

What db should the loudest
And lowest hits be.
Also are there specific frequencies in the middle that are better than others.
I'm planning on doing about 30-40 hits per drum

welshsteve

What db should the loudest -

On the preamps, up tp where hardest hits don't clip. So avoid RED at all costs, around 0-6db, so that's a couple of yellows/orange LEDS peaks, depending on whatever interface, mixer or preamps you're gonna us, but never in the red. 

And lowest hits be =

what you'd cosidider the lightest tap you would play on ghost notes or a light snare roll, sort of like the lowest threshold setting on a module

Also are there specific frequencies in the middle that are better than others.
I'm planning on doing about 30-40 hits per drum -

That's mostly dependant on the mics and how the drum sounds. And what kind of sound you're wanting to get in the end, super processed, very direct and dry or anything inbetween. Direct and clean is better for live use, so that you can process it on the  house pa system, like an actual drum. More processing with lot of room/effects is more fun to play at home, as a general rule that is.

I would focus on clean capture of the drums first off with optimum gain (with no clipping) you can always process it later before rendering to individual samples to put together in Drumit app.

Some basic things to remember, like if you're mic-ing the bottoms of a snare, reverse the phase of the under mic.

Overheads mics should the same distance apart from the snare.

I could go on all day, but I am not an expert on this, I just did a couple of times. Would love to do more though. Maybe one day soon perhaps.

My Hovercraft is full of Eels!