News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

eDrum & sound system

Started by OlivNC, December 15, 2022, 09:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlivNC

Hi,

I joined the 2Box community a few months ago, own a Drumit5 MK1, which I enjoy a lot, especially because of its sounds quality (like everybody here!).
I wonder which type of sound system do you guys use to sound your kit.
When drumming home, even rehearsing with other musicians, my HiFi system does very honestly the job, and restores well the quality of any of the samples of the module (class D amp + old school Scott Pro 70 speakers).
After a first live, I was a bit disappointed with the result on a bigger sound system, no more finesse, no more details, even low frequencies weren't well restored...
I am very sensitive with sound quality, and wasn't comfortable when playing with poor quality sound results!
Drums, and I think also good level eDrums are hard to sound perfectly; much dynamic, wide range frequencies, power, that makes many requirements...

Do you know any solution to get good sound and power at the same time?
I think about building a sound system dedicated to my eDrum, any ideas to share?

thanks for sharing so many things here!

Olivier

calken

Hi Olivier,

Frequency response will always be sensitive to the room you are in and the louder you go, the less likely the room will be able to absorb that sounds, so getting a loud articulate response in a particular location can be tricky as reflections can cause chaos.

I use my own purpose built speakers (I didn't design them!) as I can mix and match the space I use them in.  Most of the time, IEM or cans is enough for me.

LF should really be covered by the PA, it's omni directional below 100Hz and as long as the highs lead the lows, you won't notice any phase issues within a few hundred ms.  Adding multi-purpose monitors aimed at FRFR above 100Hz should serve you well.

Are you only interested in yourself hearing the kit or do you want it as a back line?

OlivNC

Calken, sorry for such a late answer!

My purpose is to have something good for audience, the problem I had during this live was really the quality of the PA system, compared to the results durinf rehearsals with my home system.
I think the only solution would be to have our own PA system, so that we could be sure of its quality. As you did, I think about building it myself.

Another live is scheduled within next weeks, the PA system should be better than last time... hopefully!

I didn't choose if I will use speakers or in ear to monitor the drumset for me...

welshsteve

This is the main issue with playing edrums in a live setting. If the band's pa is limited in it's quality and output power, then edrums will not sit well even in small environments.

In my band, I always use IEMs for my own monitoring for all sorts of reasons, but we carry an RCF Evox 12 rig, small, compact, sounds great and can handle rooms with upto approx 500 people with its 1400 watts per side power. With that being said, there are time where we could do with just a little more, usually outside gigs in summer.. Thankfully this isn't that often and usually on those events there's hired pa in with a quality engineer to balance the kit to the rest of the band.

If the band I was playing was just using a small vocal pa (say something with a pair od 12"+HF horn or similar) I wouldn't even consider an ekit live, even if I had 1000watts to myself as monitoring.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!