News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Difference between mk2 module and mk1

Started by arca, December 12, 2022, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arca

Hi everyone,
I have the drumit 5 mk1 module and drum and want to invest in drumit 5 mk2 but just module.
What are the differences ?
Is it a good investment or not necessary
My mk1 still function fine
Thank you

welshsteve

Basically, the card reader slot and the better trigger interface (for much better us with Yamaha/Roland pads) are the main differences. The cosmetics of it are the other.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

arca

welshsteve

Not really, the trigger interface is the main one. Which in my opinion is significant in the modern world of many different types of pads, acoustic triggers and cymbals on the market. If you don't care for 8 outputs, and are willing to do the 32gig Mod, a drumit3 would serve you well.
I am mimic user these days, but I have lot of love for the 2box system, I'd still have one if not for a huge van repair and tax bill. I do plan to pick up a 2box module at some point. But it would be surplus to requirements, the mimic is my live kit and I have an edrumin10/4 for home use, but still I would very much like to have one.

arca

Welshsteve I really appreciate your answers. Thank you. Hope you will have money to buy one in the future.
I really love 2box too. I just need to make a choice between drumit 5 and 3 now

welshsteve

In the grand scheme of things, there's no a huge difference in cost between the two, and unless funds are super tight, I'd go the Drumit5 MK2 myself. But, if you went the drumit3 you'd not be losing out, just a single pair of outputs. If you wanted the card slot, you could get the 32gig mod thing, but in my option, the slot on the side of the drumit5 MK2 looks way slicker!

leemuzhko

Quote from: welshsteve on December 13, 2022, 12:54:13 AMNot really, the trigger interface is the main one. Which in my opinion is significant in the modern world of many different types of pads, acoustic triggers and cymbals on the market. If you don't care for 8 outputs, and are willing to do the 32gig Mod, a drumit3 would serve you well.
I am mimic user these days, but I have lot of love for the 2box system, I'd still have one if not for a huge van repair and tax bill. I do plan to pick up a 2box module at some point. But it would be surplus to requirements, the mimic is my live kit and I have an edrumin10/4 for home use, but still I would very much like to have one.

Excuse me, what is the trigger interface in this context? Do you mean analog circuits or ADC? I've noticed more inputs in the newer versions. But it looks like all modules still share the same firmware.

And it looks like new Speedlite kit uses the same Medeli pads as Alesis, Millenium and some others. Am I right?

welshsteve

yes, Medelli pads on the speed light. Not sure about the hihats, but the cymbals definitely too. Or one of them OEM things... NUX or something.

The extra inputs are for use if using 3 x 3 zone Roland style cymbal pads. As a lot of the 2box crashes also have bells encoded into the sound, you would have full access if using the two output Roland style cymbals.

If using Yamaha cymbals, same but you'd only need one cable. However, the extra cymbal input (labeled cym B) would be redundant in this context.

welshsteve

Quote from: leemuzhko on December 16, 2022, 03:15:44 PMExcuse me, what is the trigger interface in this context? Do you mean analog circuits or ADC?

I mean the trigger inputs, and thus the module, will support a much wider range of pads types compared to the original drumit5 module. Sound-wise, there's no difference. So two output Roland cymbals will be supported with edge, bow, bell and choke functions. Yamaha cymbals and pads, all three zones will work with a single cable. Roland/Alesis Hihats will also be supported. I am not sure about Yamaha, I assume so as it's support the other cymbal and pad types.