News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box triggers & mesh heads

Started by Ritchiedrums, November 19, 2022, 01:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ritchiedrums

I am now using 2box triggers on 10" 12" & 14" Toms.
No problem using Trig on the 10 & 12.
The 14 gives me lots of extra triggers especially at low volumes.
PadPP has solved that problem, but now it misses a hit every once in a while.
https://youtu.be/HwWROCIIkQ4
Anyone else using mesh heads with 2box triggers? Any problem??

welshsteve

Larger drums will generally be the hardest to get triggering right. A thicker mesh head is recommended or some muffling.
If you plan the muffling route, a simple solution I found which worked a treat is a layer of foam covering the inside of the shell, top head to bottom head and about 1.5" thick. Measure it so it's just a little longer than the depth of the drum, so that bottom and top head push against it. And if its just a little longer than the inner circumference of the drum, it will push against itself inside as well as top to bottom making it remain in place.

The best thing about this method is you can afford a more snare drum like triggering set up rather than going the AC1 or AC2 trigger type route, which will be better for more intricate playing on the floor tom.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

Ritchiedrums

Added 1 inch foam inside all Toms.
Definite improvement

Thanx!!

welshsteve

Ah great. Yeah it worked for me, larger drums might need thicker foam. So 1" might be fine for a 12" snare or tom, but 14" - 16" might need 1.5 or 2 inch, 18 to 20, 3 inch.. you get the idea. Nothing stoping keeping strips and adding to the inner side as you go until the desired dampening is achieved. As it's not dampening the middle, it had little effect on the feel of the head.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!