News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

VH11 Turn problem

Started by rush1234, November 10, 2022, 06:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rush1234

I dont like the vh11 turn problem. after 8  notes or so  i have to stop and set it with the  logo to the right position

Are there other brand hihats that works with the old module? and have a turn lock i am not going to upgrade to the mk3 because of all the troubles i have with the 2box brand. always buzzy with troubleshooting  . i never could get it to my like . double triggers. bad vst sounds. the list is endless (   greetings

welshsteve

Issue 1: Hihat spin. I believe if you have the hihat rod secure, and the clutch on the VH11 set right, it won't spin.
Issue 2: You can get various pads and controllers to work with the old Di5 module, but you'll need the Zurman orange box to do so. Upgrade to Mk3? Do you mean Drumit3 or Drumit5 Mk2?
In any case, in my opinion, these two modules can get decent hihat response from various brands, definitely the Roland VH11, if you follow the guide on set up right. Luke (edrumworkshop) did a very good review on the Di5 Mk2 and Anders has done a great video on optimum set up using VH11.
Issue 3. Double triggers: I need to know more about what mesh heads/pads your using before diving a more firm answer. But it's a good idea to invest in a some good ones. Roland Powerply are decent and the Drumtech Real Feel are also very well respected. Just to name a few.
Issue 4: Bad VST sounds. Luke (edrumworkshop) again has done a very through video on creating multisample sounds for the Drumit modules. If you haven't seen it, definitely check it out. Does it create sounds as rich as listening to the VST itself, probably not (I would need to do an A/B test to be sure) but you can opimise the experience to make it more enjoyable.

My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

rush1234

Thanks for your  quick answers .  the vh11 spins no matter how hard i tighten it.  i bougt a roland highat stand with noise eater attach to it. i have also a gibraltar one leg highhat stand and you cant turn the rod. it is the roland wich spins and i do not know why and how to tighten it. I had a talk tonight with Dennis from the famous lustark software he told me to adjust the tension on the 682 meshead a bit that helps i bit The toms are fine with  standard meshead.  VST is maybe not my taste its the way they sampled it with so much room and mic bleeding. i like a more studio sound and i cant find it.  but no the vst samples dont sound as nice as in a daw.  but sometimes it is near when i trigger software vst.       i wil also look at the roland powerplay mesheads.   i wil also see the videos from from luke . i forgotn to say i use the jman mod for my highat. i dont know if the zurman works the shame. i have a little box beneet the paddle .  greetings from frank         

welshsteve

Hey, thanks for reply. Ah, okay so you're on the Stealthdrums hihat conversion. Not tried it myself but from his videos (before he went over to a Mimic) it really did look like it was an improvement.
Hmmm odd about the VH11 spin, I have feeling there might be an issue with the clutch. I don't have a VH11 myself to give a proper opinion, I have used one a few times and didn't notice a major spin issue, unless like I say the hihat rod was a little loose.
VSTs with minimal or no room ambience is easy to achieve. When you come to render, just mute the room and if you really want a try sound, the overheads too, and voila, direct drum sound! Definitely better for live work than having any room ambience imho.
I haven't used the SDSE software for this, I had gone the long way around but the result is the same (just takes a whole lot longer)
Lots of great drum sounds out there for you to use, I would definitely keep at it!

rush1234

yes i did the gman conversion. i still miss him. he was a great guy .  I had never a great luck with 2box this is also that i lost my motivation for drumming. so i left it for years in the basement but i thougt i give it a try

but now i know why i kicked this thing in the basement.  the hihat stand i changed the rod from my gibraltar that helps.  but stil dubbel trigger on the snare no matter what i do it is right after the first note. so yeah it goes in the basement again.    greetings from Frank

welshsteve

So your snare pad is the 2box 12" pad with plastic rims? (and the dreaded O rings which break)

rush1234

i am afraid yes.  Where can i see there is a problem with the o ring ?

rush1234

i am on the search for a better snare but have no idee what is good ? enny advise ?

welshsteve

I had the 2box drumit5 kit for 8 years, the 12" pad too. I never had a double trigger issue. As long as it's using the PAD12 trigger preset. I think with new OS updates they might have different ones.
Okay so, what mesh head are you using on it currently? You might have a piezo issue, like a faulty connection, which isn't completely broken but vibration separates the connection just a little when played, that will make double triggering happen.
The O rings are used to keep the plastic rim attached to the main pad, they break over time and so the RIM doesn't sit very well against the drum pad shell. Easy fix though, I bought a load off eBay, cost about £2 for 50 of them. They weren't exactly the right ones but they worked.
I feel like some of your issues can be rectified!

As for a good pad to replaced it, honestly, any 12" (or larger if need be) snare drum will work with a reasonable trigger inside and a nice thick mesh head, with perhaps some dampening if necessary.

I actually got really good results with a Tama 12 x 5 steel drum, a Roland Powerply head and a 2box and Trigit rim mounded trigger. I can't recall the settings exactly but it was basic stuff. Pad12 preset, set the gain to 0db on hardest hits, threshold just below my softest hits, a POS1 curve, no cross talk (as it was on a snare stand) I probably would have saved ££££ if I had stuck with that set up!

Later, I used an internal trigger, a Triggera Intrig, which also worked really well too.